Help

ARCHIVE

Quickie Science Experiments

>

Mackenzie AK

Quickie Science Experiments
Old 12-02-2007, 09:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am headed back to work in January after taking the first semester off for maternity leave and am going to be running an afterschool science club. I am looking for some quick and easy science experiments and investigations. I know we here at pro teacher have posted some science experiments or quick science investigations for the beginning of the year inquiry and was hoping you all could help me out. Any and all experiments would be welcomed.

Mackenzie AK is offline   Reply With Quote

Angie

Old 12-02-2007, 10:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

For the science fair, my daughter is trying to see what kind of reaction happens when you mix mentos and various kinds of soda. I bought several 2 liter bottles of soda including the original diet coke... not the one with splenda... and some mentos. the object is to dump as many of the mentos in the soda as possible and then step back. The diet coke will shoot a guiser up. I am not sure about the others. I have been told it is only the diet soda.. and that the one with splenda doesn't work. We are going to see tomorrow afternoon. Hope this helps...
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote

trexteach

Old 12-03-2007, 03:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

*friction--Matchbox cars moving down ramps lined with various types of materials. (carpet, wax paper, sand paper, bubble wrap, cloth) You measure the time and distance the car traveled across each.

*drag--Use wallpaper "troughs"--I don't know what they're really called. They're long, about 1 1/2 feet maybe and about 6" wide and 4-5" deep.) Build two "boats" out of aluminum foil. One boat will have a very pointed aluminum foil bow, while the other has a rounded or even flat bow. Attach washers of the same weight to the front of each boat with a string. Fill the troughs with water and place the boats inside toward the very back of the troughs. Place the troughs on the edge of a table, and let the washer hang over the edge of the table. Let go of each boat and see which travels faster. The boat with the pointed bow should cut through the water faster--less drag due to the shape of the bow. (Anyway, it went something like this.)

*You can also add different kind of sails to the boats to see which travels faster with a fan blowing on them, but in this case, you'd need to have both boats made exactly the same way. You would now only want to be testing the types of sails themselves, not the types of boats.

*We've tested different types of bottled carpet cleaners on small pieces of carpet to see which work better on a variety of stains.

Try searching for experiments online; there are plenty of easy ones.
trexteach is offline   Reply With Quote

tia

density!
Old 12-03-2007, 06:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

get an aquarium and fill it with water--get a variety of balls, including tennis ball, wiffle ball with holes, golf ball, and marble....(thank, PE teacher!) and have kids guess what will happen--some sink, some float and some sink a little) you can talk about why

then have a coke and diet coke--point out that each can contains the same amount (ugh! i can't think of the flippin word for it--but its the measurement word --oh! capacity!) the coke will sink and the diet coke will float halfway. then discuss how even though they have the same size can and same capacity (amount inside), the weight is different. (i don't really know why...i guess the sugar in the coke weighs more than the sweetener in diet coke?)

give everyone one of those fat short Silo cups--2/3 full of water--give them a "fun size" snickers and a (crud! i can never remember which one it is--either milky way or 3 musketeers....i think it's 3M....i always have to check each year!) have them unwrap them (actually, do this in partners or groups so you don't waste as much candy!) then have them measure the length, width, height (round) and then find the volume. so they see that each candy bar takes up the same amount of space. drop in the snix and it sinks. drop in the 3M and it floats! oh, yah, it's the 3M, cause it has that fluffy inside. anyway, then you can discuss the fact that the snickers is denser---even though it's the same size, it's heavier. density is the ratio of weight compared to volume. (so it's not just the weight--you can't compare a giant rock to a little rock) and it's not just the size. (actually, i think i do the candy bit before the coke bit....)

i've always wanted to paint a styrofoam brink to look like a real brick and then have them guess what will happen when dropped in tank---so they see that same size, different density.

i ask them: what weighs more a pound of feathers or a pound of sand? (duh--they are both a pound) BUT: what is denser, a cup of feathers or a cup of sand?
tia is offline   Reply With Quote