The VENT

My team is full of twits

>

signedout

signedout

My team is full of twits
Old 02-16-2019, 11:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am at a new school this year. I am an experienced teacher. I am about done with my team to the point that I am considering getting certified in a different subject so I can be on another team next year.
My assistant principal has also made me out to be the black sheep of the team, by saying I am the worst example when it comes to management, response rates, etc. The union had to intervene on her, and I am the only teacher on my team who is in our union. Somehow it feels like the two are aligned...

Testyteach

My team acts like they are
Old 02-16-2019, 01:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

in a clique in high school. I'm the oldest teacher of them all, and they leave me out of everything. My grade-level was fine until everybody went to different grades, and all the youngins got hired on. We also got a new p this year that is very inpersonable and has said some things to me in private that is unprofessional. I'm done with this lame school and being the one teacher they give the worst class to every year. I can't wait for the end of May so I can pack up. Hideeee ho!!!

Last edited by Testyteach; 02-16-2019 at 04:38 PM..
Testyteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Emily26

Emily26

It's frustrating...
Old 02-16-2019, 02:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I like my team, but the "hire only young people" thing creates problems. My former principal wanted young teachers she could mold in her image, so all of her hires were 21-23 years old. There's a lot to be said for the enthusiasm and fresh eyes of young teachers, don't get me wrong, but there was also a lot of mentoring and hand-holding that normally wouldn't be required when you hire experienced adults. Lots of tears, lots of "how do I do this?" and lots of "Can I borrow some craft sticks, I forgot to buy some". All the youngsters also hang out together, so the 4 out of 25 of us who are over 35 just tend to stick together.

Your principal shouldn't be feeding into the clique thing, though. Move on. Not all teachers or principals are like that.

travelingfar

Not Good
Old 02-16-2019, 02:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

That is awful. I was on a team of 5 teachers many years ago. Three of them had planning meetings once a week and excluded the fourth teacher and me. One of them was the principal's favorite staff member, and that made things worse.

They were a close group and wanted nothing to do with us. Fortunately two of them transferred to other schools after a few years, and things got better.

Do what you need to do to get out of that situation.

Last edited by travelingfar; 02-17-2019 at 02:51 AM..
travelingfar is online now   Reply With Quote

FashionGirl

Knowing what I know now
Old 02-16-2019, 05:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I would never ever go into teaching because no matter what, I am never the so-called "good fit" . I can very much relate to how you are feeling and I am sorry for what you are going through. I don't have much advice, except do whatever you can to get out of that situation because it won't get better and they may end up sacrificing you.

I have always been the new teacher or the oldest one on the team - just always the outsider. I'm a friendly and well mannered person, but I am also very quiet and reserved. I always withdraw and give up when I realize I am not going to be part of the "in crowd" or when people ignore me and make it clear they aren't interested in talking to me.

Teaching can be a very lonely and isolating profession and it is amazing how the lack of support from fellow teachers or simply being disliked for no particular reason, can destroy someone's career.

The school I was in last year was so awful and I was almost relieved when my contract was terminated. I have since discovered that the mean girls clique who drove me out last year have since turned on each other and forced one of the premier members of their coven to resign!

FashionGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Been there..

Been there..

Sorry about what you are experiencing!
Old 02-18-2019, 03:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Last year I went to a different school. I was so excited about the move and the things I would learn. I have 10 years of experience, but was eager to be a part of a school that offered more technology.

One month in I realized that I had made a horrible mistake. The "team" excluded me and it was a very difficult year. Many here on proteacher were empathetic and gave me great advice. Everything in me wanted to quit, but I couldn't let them destroy what I have worked so hard to accomplish. It was a lonely year and I was extremely stressed. Thankfully, I made it through the year and took another job elsewhere.

It is too bad that a profession that is to teach and nurture has mean girls. I've have worked since I was 18, and never have I came across such people as I encountered last year. Best wishes on finding a new position.