Help

The VENT

Weekly lesson plans

>

SwollenAnkles

Weekly lesson plans
Old 02-18-2019, 08:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone else hate making weekly lesson plans? I hate it so much I put it off until the night before. It actually gives me anxiety! I had a professor once that wrote his lesson plans on sticky notes. One day his plan was stuck on his butt. We told him and he laughed and said he had been looking for that. I would so be okay with sticky notes, but our P wants detailed with objectives!
I canít find a system or template I like and I spend more time than I should on these. Online template is to much formatting, writing is to much writing. Any advice?

SwollenAnkles is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 02-18-2019, 09:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

As of right now, I don't have to turn in plans. However, our gen ed teachers do and sped staff in other buildings do too- so I'm kind of waiting for the other shoe to drop on that one. I would hate having to turn in a weekly plan. I used to plan weekly and found that halfway through the week I was changing so much (due to the kids moving slower/faster than I thought, unexpected interruptions, etc.) that it was like I was doing the same work twice!

For the past several years I've only planned 1-2 days at a time and it's so much more manageable AND I can create lessons that are actually really based on student needs, since I can take into account how they responded to the lesson that day when planning the next day's lesson.

Can you ask around your school and see if other teachers have a template you like? If not, I'd make my own on google docs or something. It will be more work up front, but after you have it done each week will go so much faster. I also try to make my classes pretty routine based- i.e. we follow either the same daily format or weekly format, and that makes planning a lot quicker as I just plug in the new information rather than trying to make up a whole new structure. Most students will also respond really well to routine and predictability!
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 02-18-2019, 11:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I like advanced planning, but that is me. My whole year is paced before day 1, and then I tweak by unit and week. I have a form I like that I made, then I copy & paste to the required one for the year.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Testyteach

Waste of Time
Old 02-19-2019, 02:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I think detailed lesson plans are a waste of time. I resent having to do them, but reluctantly have to do so. I think teacher pay should have shot up considerably when principals and school leaders started requiring this. I mean think about how much this task takes outside of school hours, as we rarely get meeting free planning. It's a big time sucker if you ask me, and it's one of the top things I hate about teaching.
Testyteach is offline   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 02-19-2019, 04:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I actually liked writing lesson plans once I was able to do them on a computer. I created my own template on Word and saved my lesson plans to file so that the next year I had them to pull up and revise as needed. Besides the objectives, my lesson plans included a simple outline of the day's lesson and listed any materials needed (text pages, handouts, read aloud books, video, technology, other materials, etc.).

I also made a binder for each marking period. I placed a copy of the week's lesson plan and a single copy of any printed material I needed to run off for the students that week. My binders made it easy for planning and being able to put my fingers on exactly what I needed.

Perhaps change your thinking about writing lesson plans to how they can actually make your job easier.

ZipLine is online now   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Lesson Plans
Old 02-19-2019, 04:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Weíre supposed to have ďlegitimate lesson plans that are detailed enough anyone could walk into our room and follow them no questions askedĒ available at all times. So I use Planboard (free) and do it that way. In two years, not a single person has looked at them.

Frankly, I can see requiring this of new teachers. Or teachers with poor performance reviews or on improvement plans. But if Iím a proven good teacher with tenure/years of experience and good evaluations...Iím jumping through hoops to make someone else look good.

Iím sorry you have to do this, too. My suggestion would be to write lesson plan templates for routine items you do so the time. Then you just update the lesson number or focus. I do spelling, word study, and journals every week, so those procedures and standards never change. I just copy-paste to the new day. This does save some time. Youíll still have to write up the new stuff, but it helps.
MissESL is online now   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Lesson Plans
Old 02-19-2019, 04:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My team had to turn in grade level lesson plans each week. We cut and pasted a lot of stuff from the previous school year, so it wasn't that bad. We knew that the principal never looked at them.

Last edited by travelingfar; 02-19-2019 at 07:52 AM..
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

Gigi814

Old 02-19-2019, 06:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Have you tried planbook.com? I like their template and the site is pretty user friendly. I don't mind making weekly lesson plans. I usually work on them a week ahead during my prep time.
Gigi814 is offline   Reply With Quote

juliet4

Plans
Old 02-19-2019, 06:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

When I was still teaching I had a template on computer with all transitions, lunch, recess, specials etc. easily modified if needed. Then, I would add that weeks lesson including material, worksheets, readings, etc. I did this on Friday each week and printed and kept it on my desk the following week. It may not have been super detailed, but enough info just in case of an emergency! Always planned the Friday before so weekends were less stressful. Believe me, the plans were tweaked constantly, but it is great to have a template.
juliet4 is online now   Reply With Quote

ellenroo

Old 02-19-2019, 06:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I like a generalized lesson plan for my classroom that leaves room for adjustments and flexibility. Unfortunately I don't get to do that. I have a specific template to follow and have to turn it in weekly by 2 on Sunday afternoons. Honestly though, no one checks my plans. I make a legitimate lesson plan but know I won't follow all of it all the time. So I pretty much make a dummy lesson plan I guess that if they do check it looks legitimate? If it's wrong to do that, oh well. If they're that worried about it they should check my plans. But my kids are learning stuff and doing ok so I don't see why they complain about it all the time.

ellenroo is offline   Reply With Quote

SwollenAnkles

Thanks
Old 02-19-2019, 07:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Thank you for the responses. I will try some ideas. I just write these things and they sit on my desk, because it is all in my head. The only thing they are nice for is when things change like assemblies, but those are on my calendar.
SwollenAnkles is offline   Reply With Quote

javamomma

Plans
Old 02-19-2019, 07:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I have a template that I fill in throughout the week. Less stressful.
javamomma is offline   Reply With Quote

educ8torsrock

Agree!
Old 02-19-2019, 08:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I'm in the same boat! Every school I've worked for has required them. 30 pages long (elementary). Coaches look at them weekly and critique you on them. They also frequent our classrooms weekly and make sure we're following the plans.
educ8torsrock is offline   Reply With Quote

FUNNYJOKER

A big fat nope
Old 02-19-2019, 09:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Once I completed my student teaching, I never again had to write up lesson plans. Not surprising, my ex worked for a district that required them. Once one of her principals retired, he told her "I hated how the superintendent and the board made you guys write those. The board members just wanted to make your lives miserable. They said they'd be checking your plans randomly but I heard that they never did."

Such a waste of time. I'm not sure what's worse.....block schedule days or lesson plan writing. I know this though.....it would be a big fat nope from me and I'd be waving one last time from my rear view mirror.
FUNNYJOKER is offline   Reply With Quote

whatever

I like having a general plan
Old 02-19-2019, 09:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

but, having the primarily Behavioral kids means we stop at time to handle behaviors as they occur. I tease that my plan book is half what I hope to accomplish and half what actually occurred...

I also still like handwriting certain things. I've made a template in Word that looks like the typical 2 page spread of a weekly plan. I type in the subjects, procedures, class list and similar. In the blocks of certain classes, I can even make a list and just circle the items I hope to cover during that time frame.

Swollen Ankles, someone out there does make a Post-it note based planbook. I googled and found this one for free from TPT.

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/...-Notes-1668242
whatever is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Lesson plans
Old 02-19-2019, 09:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I never had to do them or turn them in ...no one ever asked.

I eventually set up a unique to me template on word and just changed things as necessary. Usually they sort of kept me on pace, but things change a lot.

Do you think your P or someone is actually reading them? If not, I would do the barest minimum or something generic and turn that in.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

tgbwc

A day before
Old 02-19-2019, 10:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Iím happy if I can get basic plans written down the day before. I start if the year doing a good job, but by mid-year I maybe have a few things jotted down every few days or so.
tgbwc is offline   Reply With Quote

PindleLou888

Old 02-19-2019, 11:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I use planbookedu. I really like it. It lets you do all kinds of things, including search for a standard by keyword, and then the standard pops up, you click on it, and it is automatically added to your planbook (you can have ot do it all written out, or just the numbers/letters for the title of the standard.)
PindleLou888 is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 02-19-2019, 11:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I always know what I am doing, but sometimes my plans are written AFTER a day of teaching. The only reason I do write them is so I can look back the following year to see what I did.

The only time anyone has ever looked at my plans was for a formal observation meeting.
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

WordFountain

Required
Old 02-19-2019, 12:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Plans are required weekly by Monday mornings. My school has a school-wide on-line system. This system is everything: attendance, IEPs, scheduling, etc. We are also required to have not only our objective but the specific standard posted during the lesson while we teach. We get docked if both arenít posted during walk throughs

Lesson plans follow a template & are a mix of detailed and ďloose-goosyĒ. One benefit is the prior years plans are saved in your ďlibraryĒ - so I just copy & paste from the prior year & adjust as needed. I also use a binder for my ELA & Math based off of units/chapters, so itís easy to grab my printables and supplemental material.

Personally? Iím an outline long year planner but operate on a post-it note day to day. Thatís how I collect my daily data... by post-its on a clipboard. Why canít we just teach?!?!
WordFountain is offline   Reply With Quote

rlyndecker

Me!
Old 02-19-2019, 12:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I HATE doing them- I never minded when I started but now everything is so much more complicated than it was 20 years ago so I "cheat"- I have a template on the computer and use the copy and paste function.

So since I do EVERYTHING on the computer these days, I just put Science Unit 1, Lesson 2; Wonders Unit 2, Week 2, Day 2; EngageNY Module 3, Lesson 7

Then the next week I replace all week 2 for Wonders with week 3 etc.

Then my Wonders detailed lessons are on the Wonders website (why should I have to retype all of that?) and then EngageNY is on another site etc.

Technically, it's AWFUL when I have a sub, I spend WAY too many hours trying to do a lesson plan for a sub...
rlyndecker is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Absolutely hated doing them...
Old 02-19-2019, 01:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I found them such a waste of time and they did not make me a better teacher. In the beginning of my career, they might have been useful (and ironically, I worked in a district that did not require or collect them), but after 42 years, really? We had to have the Common Core objectives, and then when NJ re-wrote their own, we had to have those. The trouble was, most of the materials had not updated to the state ones. I tried to streamline and copy and paste as much as possible, but it still took hours. When I was retired, not having to write them was one of the joys of retirement. Can you save your online lessons from year to year and just plug the changes in and the new dates?
NJ Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

teacherwriter

Old 02-19-2019, 02:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

www.planbook.com

Somebody already recommended it. I've been using it for 7 years, and it couldn't be easier to use. Also easy to adapt for a sub.

(I get the sticky note thing. I once wrote an observation lesson on sticky notes. Passed, too.)
teacherwriter is offline   Reply With Quote

renielen

Old 02-19-2019, 04:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

We have to turn in lesson plans by 8:00 on Mondays. Admin reads the plans and makes comments. I use planbook.com also.
renielen is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

Old 02-19-2019, 06:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

I also use planbook.com. Once you set it up, you just tweak the Lesson and page numbers, objectives, etc. You can click on the standards if they are required. So much is the same week after week, you just extend it forward. Next year, it's all done. You just change the date as necessary for each lesson.
jov is offline   Reply With Quote