Help

The VENT

Resignation

>

Testyteach

Resignation
Old 02-15-2019, 04:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I officially resigned from my teaching position this year a couple of weeks ago. I thought about waiting, but I was certain that I have to move at the end of this school year due to my parents declining health. My father is currently in ICU with complications from his cancer surgery. Anyway, I took FMLA and have been out 2 weeks, and hope to go back to finish out the year once his condition hopefully stabilizes and he moves out of ICU. I went to a job fair in late January looking to network and expose myself to schools in my old district, where I taught 10 years, and was surprised to have already been invited to a couple of interviews. These schools would be where my parents live. It has been very stressful trying to juggle my father's health, updating my resume paperwork, and trying to keep up with my job responsibilities even in my absence. My state doesn't hire subs that do lesson plans or any of the paperwork teacher's are required to do. Sorry for the ramble here, but yesterday my district already handed out contracts for the new year. I didn't receive an offer as I already resigned to my P and HR department, but I feel like my P is going to hold my current medical leave and early resignation against me when the principals I interviewed call her about me. She is a new P at my school this year, and doesn't really know me. She is not personable and knew about my father's declining health, and not once asked me how he is doing ever since I told her about his cancer diagnosis in the early fall. I am just floored that I have been teaching for 19 years, have worked my tail off, and this may be how my teaching career ends...just because of my current P might shoot me down. I hate the uncertainty, but it is beyond my control. Life sure does throw things at you all at once sometimes. I hope there is another door that opens up out there for me.

Testyteach is offline   Reply With Quote

PrivateEyes

I would have a talk
Old 02-15-2019, 04:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

with her.

Something like: I love this school and I wish I didn't have to leave. I've been at this school XX years and its like a second home to me. During my time here, I've (name some accomplishments) I like how you've (name a change that you like that she's made) this year.

However, as you know, my father's condition is very precarious, and I need to move back to be with my mother and father during these trying times." It looks like some schools in my family's city are interested in interviewing me, and you may get some reference requests.
PrivateEyes is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 02-15-2019, 04:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Also, in addition to your current principal, can you list a former P and/or a VP or dept head who knows you well. In your interview, mention that your current P is new and doesn’t know you as well as your other references. If there’s anyone in your old district ( where you are currently applying, right?) who knows you well, list them. It may be that you are getting interviews because there’s an insider who remembers you.

No need to panic.

PrivateEyes gave good advice as well.
lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 02-15-2019, 05:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I would do exactly what PE recommended. I'd also mention how very stressful this all is. A bid for sympathy? Sure. But you need it.

Best luck.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Could you ask for a written letter?
Old 02-15-2019, 07:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I would ask for written letters of recommendation that you can have and present copies of at a future interviews, including your present principal. That way, if your principal is called and says negative things that are not in the letter, she will not come across as credible. Hopefully, your principal would not try to undermine your new career opportunities. When I left my NY district for another state, I did not have a good relationship with my administration. However, i know they were called, and I did get the job, so they did not do anything to hurt my chances. Honestly, I think they were just as happy to see me leave as I was to go. Your principal, especially being new, might welcome the chance to put a hiree of her choosing into your old position. Very sorry about your Dad's health, and I wish you the best in your move.

NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Resignation
Old 02-15-2019, 07:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Are you positive the P will sabotage any plans? You say she is new and doesn’t know you....it could be just that. She knows you’re leaving and, honestly, doesn’t need to put the time in to get to know you.

That said, she would either ask for a letter of recommendation or actually write one up and just have her sign it.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

What to Do
Old 02-15-2019, 11:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Your principal may not say anything bad to potential employers. I think you should make an appointment to talk with her and say exactly what Private Eyes suggested.

Last edited by travelingfar; 02-15-2019 at 05:31 PM..
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote