The VENT

Child helps self to rewards anyway

>

Help Me Plzzz

Help Me Plzzz

Child helps self to rewards anyway
Old 02-16-2019, 09:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have an extremely disruptive K student in my room. I'm supposed to start him on an in-class incentive plan. The thing is, the rewards I would give (extra computer time, sit in my chair, play with games, puzzles, or manipulatives, etc...) he helps himself to while I'm teaching. Any ideas of how to handle this. I was told to buy things for him, but...no.

hiker1

Old 02-16-2019, 10:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Ugggh, I think admin should buy things for him. Could you lock him out of the computers or place items on your chair so he can't sit on it?
hiker1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Testyteach

I wouldn't spend a dime.
Old 02-16-2019, 11:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Whoever makes the suggestion to buy things, should be the one to open their wallet. As far as this child helping his or herself to your things, call the office and tell them you need admin to take your friend to the office. Admin are about worthless with helping teachers with discipline. What happened to the good old days when students were actually scared of going to the principal's office? Nowadays it's like a treat to go there. They even come back with candy in their mouths.
Testyteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 02-16-2019, 11:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Definitely don't buy things for him! That goes along the lines of when my admin told me to reward my disrupter every 2-3 minutes. Ummm... yeah. Ever heard of having to teach when you are a teacher?

Maybe being a helper of some kind? First in line? What is his currency?
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 02-16-2019, 01:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I would try to reward students who do what they are supposed to do. Arrange for all students to earn a privilege. When he doesn't, reward the class immediately by letting them have game time while he sits with you and watches because he did not earn it.

Disruptive to your teaching but hopefully he will get the message and you won't have to do it too often.

sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Emily26

Emily26

This a hundred times
Old 02-16-2019, 02:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I think in this era of "rigor" and admonishments not to "waste instructional time", rewards have fallen by the wayside. While I don't think kids need to be continually rewarded for breathing, it is nice to take some day one day a week or so to say, "Thanks for being awesome, let's have some fun together for the next 20 minutes." Kids who DON'T get to have the fun are often quick to fall in line. It's worth a try. Don't spend your money on physical rewards for one child. I also wouldn't have "sit in teacher's chair" as a reward. That's my chair, and nobody sits there but me Don't give up your space and your belongings to appease a difficult child.

Kinderkr4zy

Old 02-16-2019, 10:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have also locked up rewards, and put "extrinsic motivators (toys and rewards) up on high shelves. Yes it is easier for them to be down for choice time but it will save your sanity to put it all up or in zip stripped cabinets.

As for buying rewards...NO!

When ever I am given a BIP/BSP that includes rewards and edibles I always email my P and behaviorist and bcc my union rep asking where I am supposed to get the needed supplies to follow the plan or if there is an ordering process with a vendor who accepts purchase orders with our district. People have told my verbally to buy rewards but when I make the request in writing and they know others are seeing their response I always get told that the school will cover it.
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

Juiceboxes

Old 02-17-2019, 02:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I remember spending my prep time on the first day of school locking up all of my special seats, cushions, bean bag chairs, and reading plushies etc. I had a little boy who thought he could up and leave the group and go lay on, or began throwing around these items. Within the week? I also needed to change the location of all art supplies, paper, etc. Then it was moving the math manipulatives... It was a pain but he couldn't get into what he didn't have. I couldn't send to office because that would just be happy fun time (get out of class, see what's going on, etc.) To this day? Things remain out of reach. Behaviors are in check, but each time I have a sub they note how he goes snooping trying to find things to get into. Again, he can't access what he cannot reach. I do have a buddy plan with the next grade level up. This is a seat in their room where any of my students go sit when they are just refusing to follow norms in spite of redirection etc. It is not fun and my three kids who have been there do NOT want to go. I have not needed to use it very often.
Juiceboxes is offline   Reply With Quote

slg

Incentives
Old 02-18-2019, 10:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Could you keep a sticker chart for him to bring home? When telling parents include some no-cost ideas for them to reward him with. Of course, this doesn’t work with all parents.
slg is offline   Reply With Quote

apple annie

Old 02-18-2019, 01:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Second grade here.

My individual incentives are things like:

Sit with teacher at lunch
Private table with two friends at lunch
Happy note or phone call home
Line leader
Run an errand
Pass out papers (basically all my helper jobs)
Pick a book for read aloud

(BTW, ALL students are eligible for the above.)

***I do NOT spend money on "stuff" for rewards. Takes a lot of nerve for anyone to ask you to buy rewards with your own money!

I'm not a huge fan of individual "rewards" though. I try to frame it as, "This is the natural positive consequence of being a trustworthy, hardworking member of our class."

On the other hand, I love whole class rewards. And I try to be very specific and clear about what group behavior earned an extra five minutes of recess, or five minutes of time in class to work on homework, or getting to watch two minutes of funny cat videos.

apple annie is online now   Reply With Quote