Help

Sunflower Room

Integrate DM with basal

>

dlynneteacher

Integrate DM with basal
Old 06-28-2006, 10:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am new to third grade. I want to teach using DM. However, I am told I must use the basal. How are some of you planning/have done this? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

KMH

good idea starting a new thread
Old 06-29-2006, 08:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I felt the basal people(me included) were taking over the mini lesson thread.
I think it would be good to seperate them. Hopefully we can move the basal conversation to this thread and those that don't have to contend with it can post great mini lessons the way it should be done there.

dlynn, if you haven't yet, read the mini lesson posts, Basals and DM have been talked bout there. I'm in the same boat you are. We use Houghton Mifflin, which does use most of the stratgies, just not to the depth it should be. I start back July 10th and am going to try to revamp how I teach reading. Guided reading, independent reading, work stations, and DM(Strategies That Work-another great book geared toward older grades).

Oh, I also teach 3rd. grade in Lancaster, CA.

love2read

help with Houghton Mifflin
Old 06-29-2006, 09:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

There is another thread on the second grade page about focus walls with a link to this site:
http://www.smbsd.org/page.cfm?p=908

It has some wonderful resources to use with the Houghton Mifflin reading series, and it explains focus walls. The whole idea of a focus wall could tie nicely with DM. It could be a good way to make some of the concepts more concrete and to provide a constant reminder. I wonder what other people who are familiar with this idea or who have looked at this site think about this.

dlynneteacher

Basal
Old 06-29-2006, 09:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I will teach McGraw Hill. Yes, they are the same strategies in this basal as well. My concern is the skills are in a different order from DM and not at all as in depth as DM. Furthermore, students are tested on these quickie one week strategies and skills, when DM suggests (and i agree) to sped more time. I will check back over some mini lesson posts. Please keep me posted as to how you plan to organize and integrate everything. I don't go back until the first of August, so I'd also like to know how things work out in the beginning. Also, I will continue to research this and plan, so if i come across anything I'll keep you poseted. Thanks for the input.

Mrs. O

Old 06-29-2006, 12:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have to use the basals too. I am in a private school and must use the A Beka reading series. I have been thinking about how to integrate some of the strategies DM uses with our readers, but haven't gotten very far yet. I am really interested in how others plan to integrate so I can get some ideas. I thought about skipping around in my basal, but I am not sure the stories will really work. My other idea was to suplement with books she talked about, but I am afraid I wouldn't be able to give the lessons the time they need. I am looking forward to hearing from others.

Fanny

Fanny

basal woes
Old 06-30-2006, 03:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have the lovely HM basal as well. I was thinking about focusing on the strategy that will be tested on the district benchmark test from the basal and then taking what time we have left in the quarter to use the DM strategies.

When I first read this book at the beginning of my break I was sure that there was no way I could get all this done with my students which lead to extreme frustration during my time off. I had handed the book off to my teaching partner in the hopes that we could come up with a plan. Then I stumbled into proteacher and got help. I feel like a desert rat finding an oasis!!

I have the additional challenge that we team teach math/written language. I teach the reading lessons to HM and my partner uses the WB for spelling and grammar lessons. This forces me to stay on pace in the reader. THis could put additional contraints on the reader's workshop.
We have been teaming for 11 years this way. We get great results with our students. Our test scores are great. More importantly we are both able to teach our strengths which is best for the children.

I have been struggling with this BASAL since the adoption. I didn't like the last one either--Scholastic. I feel it is not authentic reading. That was the exciting part of reading DM's book. Combined with what I have read in Regie Rhoutman's Reading Essentials I know this is the best way to teach reading/the reader.

Any suggestions regarding how to work around the basal will be appreciated. (aka Fanny)

Fanny

Fanny

basal woes
Old 06-30-2006, 03:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have the lovely HM basal as well. I was thinking about focusing on the strategy that will be tested on the district benchmark test from the basal and then taking what time we have left in the quarter to use the DM strategies.

When I first read this book at the beginning of my break I was sure that there was no way I could get all this done with my students which lead to extreme frustration during my time off. I had handed the book off to my teaching partner in the hopes that we could come up with a plan. Then I stumbled into proteacher and got help. I feel like a desert rat finding an oasis!!

I have the additional challenge that we team teach math/written language. I teach the reading lessons to HM and my partner uses the WB for spelling and grammar lessons. This forces me to stay on pace in the reader. THis could put additional contraints on the reader's workshop.
We have been teaming for 11 years this way. We get great results with our students. Our test scores are great. More importantly we are both able to teach our strengths which is best for the children.

I have been struggling with this BASAL since the adoption. I didn't like the last one either--Scholastic. I feel it is not authentic reading. That was the exciting part of reading DM's book. Combined with what I have read in Regie Rhoutman's Reading Essentials I know this is the best way to teach reading/the reader.

Any suggestions regarding how to work around the basal will be appreciated.

ellen

Old 07-02-2006, 08:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I've spent a lot of time lurking and thinking about how to integrate the thinking in D. Miller's book (which I haven't read all of, I am reaidng Mosaic of Thought) and the basal. It seems to me that because I am required to do the basal I will have to split the time. The problem is I have about two to two and 1/2 hours a day to cover reading, grammar, spelling, writing. Last year I incoporated word wall and work work (four blocks)- and I know it helped my students. I also did workjobs (centers) to allow me to meet with guided reading groups. This year I want to use Debbie Diller's Work Stations. I think that someone made a good suggestion to switch off MWF stratgies, TH basal. The thing that I use the basal for though is practice reading. The skills the go with each story aren't always a good match to the story- but it is good practice to read and discuss. I've rambled on and on, and not really said anything! I"m still working it out in my head.

Any suggestions?

Mrs. O

Old 07-07-2006, 06:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I think switching days makes the most sense for me. I was thinking of Mon and Tues for the basal story, Wed. and Thurs. for stragigies and Fri. for assessments and workstations or centers. I think I am going to try to match the strategies as much as I can to the basal stories, but if I can't I will suppliment with other books. I am still trying to work out all of the kinks I can think of, but I know I will probably have to do some changes when I see how it works with this group of kiddos. I am looking forward to hearing others ideas.
RachMach

RachMach

new 3rd grade teacher
Old 07-08-2006, 06:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I am also trying to figure out how to teach "real-life" comprehension strategies (Connections/Schema, Questioning, Visualizing, Inferring, Determining Importance, Synthesizing) while still using the basal (a requirement). I like the idea of 2 days with the basal, 3 teaching strategies, BUT I don't have any book sets for guided reading. My school has a few whole class sets, but surprisingly NONE for third grade use.

My problem is, outside of independent reading, what can my kids read until I am wealthy enough to accumulate book sets for guided reading? Can I teach strategies through a "read aloud" (I read a quality text to them and intro/practice the strategy together)? I just worry that this does not provide enough reading practice for students--the book isn't even in their hands! I have just spent the last few hours trying to match up my basal (Open Court) with strategies (ignoring, for the most part, the strategies suggested in the basal), but this is overwhelming and I feel I won't know until I get there if they are appropriate. Would it be at all valuable to read the basal in a guided reading context or is that pointless? Would kids still get benefit from being one of five students to share/read aloud instead of one of twenty-five?

KMH

Old 07-08-2006, 08:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I think by just reading the books, we will all be better teachers. I also like the two day approach for the basal. I'm going to read the first part of the story and demo the strategy on Monday. Tuesday mini lesson with read aloud. Students then pair read the second part of the story. Wed. and Thurs. mini lesson with more independent reading practice and small group instruction. Friday listen to tape of basal story and test on the story.

I also have a 30 minute Universal access time where hopefully I can get lit. work stations going and guided reading.

You might want to look into partner reading, you would just need 2 copies of a book. Garage sales and libraries are good sources, just be careful the library books don't walk away.

I also think a read aloud is the best way to teach the strategies, then have the students practice during independent reading. I'm looking forward to seeing how this is going to work in my classroom, I'm also sure how I start the year probably isn't going to be the same as how it ends.

As far as trying to read the basal for guided reading, try it! Let us know if it works. I will probably try it at some point very soon. The new school year starts Monday.
RachMach

RachMach

new 3rd grade teacher
Old 07-09-2006, 10:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

What will you do each Friday for assessment?

Mrs. O

Assessments
Old 07-09-2006, 01:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

My Friday assessments will proabably be oral reading evaluations (individuals come up to read to me and I ususally give a 1, 2 or 3 with a short explanation of why) and comprehension quizzes. Possibly later I will try to assess for the strategies, but not at first. I have to have one oral reading evaluation each week at my school.

KMH

Old 07-09-2006, 06:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I'm not sure who you were addressing on the Friday post, but here is mine for the start of the year.

I need grades...Friday, I give the Spelling, Vocab. and comprehension test for the story. I think Thursday homework will be to reread the story.

Along with the test for the story, I'll try to conference with all students and give a grade on if they are improving in strategy work, fluency etc.

The story test and improvement in skills should give a pretty accurate grade. I also think, for me, I need to have the improvemnt grade in order to stay on task. It would be too easy for me to not find the time for conferences, I need to make it a priority.

I'm also hoping I can use Fridays for reader's theatre. work stations and even some math stations etc. Friday is also catch up day, things we didn't get to during the week!
RachMach

RachMach

new to 3rd grade
Old 07-14-2006, 05:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

So this is how I'm spending my Friday night--sad, but productive!

I've been working on a tentative plan on how to use the basal and create guided reading groups--which are modified, really, because I plan to use the basal in the guided reading groups. My reasoning for this is that A) I HAVE to use the basal, B) Neither myself or my school has extensive book sets for guided reading, and C) reading the basal in small groups allows me to observe only 5-6 students at a time, versus reading the basal all together. Below, I've posted a possible schedule--in my mini-lessons, I plan to focus on comprehension strategies from Strategies that Work (Mosaic of Thought). Hopefully, this skill can extend into guided reading (where applicable) and independent reading.

Reading Workshop Schedule (Possible)

·Mini-Lesson (15-20 min.) – Teach Comp. Strategy using authentic text
·Guided Reading / Guided Reading Assignment / Independent Reading / Independent Writing (30 min.) – Rotate using schedule.
**Turn in Guided Reading Notebooks weekly to assess completion/reading strategies?
·Whole-group Share (5 min.) –Discuss use of Comp. Strategy in Independent Reading or Guided Reading.

o Guided Reading Assignment: Read the rest of the story (individual or with partner), write down words or phrases that make them stop reading or keep them from understanding story; write down “how the story ended”
o Independent Reading: Read “Just Right” book; log in Reader’s Notebook, write possible response to reading (or post-its placed in Reader’s Notebook)
o Independent Writing: Write book, poem, letter, or journal entry in Writer’s Notebook
o Assess: Use comprehension test for GR story OR other form of assessment (lit. extension activity). Possibly use this time to meet with individual students—need-based?

RachMach

RachMach

new 3rd grade teacher
Old 07-14-2006, 06:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Oops! I pressed "tab" and all of a sudden my message was posted! I was not able to include the daily schedule in my previous post because it didn't "post" very clearly. Anyway, I also compiled an outline for my guided reading groups (adapted from Reggie Routman's "Conversations") that I plan to use to guide my instruction during guided reading, as well as a year-long plan of mini-lessons to teach each comprehension strategy.

I can email my complete plan, if anyone is interested in seeing what I hope to do. In addition, if anyone would like to look it over and offer constructive advice, I'd appreciate it!

Debbie3rd

Old 07-14-2006, 09:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I would love to see a copy of your plan if you don't mind emailing it. I read Reading with Meaning this summer and am trying to figure out how to incorporate teaching the strategies and reader's workshop into my day when I am required to use the basal program. Thanks!

Lady A

I'd like a copy of your plan too.
Old 07-15-2006, 05:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Would you please email me a copy of your plan? Thank you
RachMach

RachMach

possible plan for 3rd?
Old 07-15-2006, 07:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

If you would like to see my plan for Mini-Lessons to teach comprehension strategies (adapted from Strategies that Work), and for Reader's Workshop/Guided Reading (adapted from Reggie Routman's "Conversations"), email me at macy143@yahoo.com, or post and tell me how to send it to you through this board.

The plan has some "questions" in it--things I still have to think about and/or work out. Any input or ideas regarding these are especially appreciated. If you see any holes or concerns, please let me know. In addition to this plan, we do "Word Study", "English", and "Spelling" as part of the required literacy program at my school.

vateach

to rachmach
Old 07-17-2006, 06:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

For guided reading when you don't have book sets--could you use a site like readinga-z.com? My school subscribes and I find it to be really useful. They also have worksheets and comprehension tests, and many books are focus on a specific comprehension skill. And I LOVE the leveled readers theater.

Could you attach your plan to this thread? Just use the paperclip button and browse to find it on your computer.

RachMach

posting plan
Old 07-19-2006, 03:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

okay, i'm a semi-computer dork. I'm glad to post my plan, but what/where is the "paperclip button"?

iluv2nd

Posting attachments...
Old 07-19-2006, 05:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

You don't get the option to attach files until you post enough messages yourself. You have to be a "junior member" and then the option appears as an additional box on the Post Your Reply page...

BookMuncher

iluv2nd
Old 07-20-2006, 07:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I LOVE your avatar!!! Did you get it from the Henkes website?

(That's where I got mine, which I'm sure is somewhat illegal-- although, I'm not using it for $$! )

iluv2nd

Bookmuncher...
Old 07-20-2006, 07:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

I must confess that I was inspired by yours... I love Kevin Henkes books and Lilly is probably my favorite. Chrysanthemum comes in a close second. I just did a Google image search of "Chrysanthemum Kevin Henkes" and this was the first graphic I found that I liked. Remember that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!
lamassengill

lamassengill

Back in 3rd and need ideas
Old 08-25-2006, 07:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

Please, send me a copy of your plan. lamassengill@nc.rr.com

Thank you, Leigh Ann Massengill