Help

Sunflower Room

Responding To Text

>

one_yen

Responding To Text
Old 11-08-2006, 04:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi! So glad I found this forum! I love Debbie Miller's book and although I discovered it after this school year already started, I have been trying to implement the ideas in her book in my own Grade 2/3 class. I was just wondering how you set up your Reading Workshop time and how you have the kids respon to texts - do you require a certain number of responses or are the sticky notes enough? some kids seem to eat it up, while others are reluctant to attempt to use their schema to make connections. How do you organize your small group work? I'm still strugging with finding a balance and a way to fit everything in.

Thanks for your help!

BookMuncher

dm
Old 11-14-2006, 05:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I know... it's really tricky when you're first getting started, balancing it all. I teach first, so I don't know if you need to require more writing from 2/3 but I have a couple guided pricipals when it comes to teaching reading this way:

- RW is about the ideas, not the wriitng (if you have a kiddo who gets distracted when trying to get their ideas down, then they should be able to do it orally)

- it's all about celebrating the things you wish everyone was doing (it's always worked for me to not worry about the kids who seem to be off track because gushing over kids who are really digging in, seems to motivate them)

- switching up the project/ angle on the strategy/ book type seems to energize the classroom

GOOD LUCK!! Glad to have you on board!

Jaime-2

Ok, I am the intense type...
Old 11-14-2006, 06:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am a fairly intense teacher (second grade), and i know that about myself...With that said my children have days when they are first learning a stratagy that they expeirment with using post its, writing on post its, or recording in their think books (a composition book kept in their reading basket) that they try it if they can. Later as we spend more time (currently connections) I do require a response a few days a week and show their ability to apply the stratagy. I focus on them during their confrence if they need it and get to hear more ideas from them during wrap up at the end of readers workshop. Right now we are on T-W connections which can be tricky. So when there is 5 mins left I give a warning and if they have not been able to write a T-W connection they try to at least write some sort of connection. I try to teach my kids reading is thinking and get them to show theit thinking.

My reading workshop looks a little different then Miller's workshop compared to what I have seen on her video tapes. Becuase we follow a slightly different Workshop model (more like lucy calkins) it has more of the intense approach...although like I said that part of that is me. I tend to really push them to apply the focus lesson on readers and writer's workshop...I am curious to see what others post about this.

Small groups have during the indpendent reading portion that lasts about 45 minutes in my classroom. I confrence and pull stratagy groups during that time.

Sorry it is a bit of a ramble but led to some interesting self reflection for me

Jaime

BookMuncher

workshop
Old 11-15-2006, 03:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Hi Jamie! I'm interested to hear more about how you approach workshop. I'm wondering:

Do you use Kathy Collin's Growing Readers at all, or mostly just Miller?

I ask that because I'm using both and I feel that Collin's approach is soooo different from Miller in that the kids in her classroom are expected to think about everything they've learned up to that point. She focuses less on the vocabulary of what they are doing and more on what they are thinking and how they are integrating the strategies. I just think that it's a little more global, although, I can't say that it works better because I only have experience teaching Miller for a full year. This is my first year using both.

How much of their workshop time are kids writing? (Or, are the longer responses you talk about not part of the actual workshop)

I like my kids to read for most of the time during workshop, but I have trouble fitting in group explorations of the strategies, as is so important in Miller. I'm wondering how you account for that?

Jaime-2

Time actually writing
Old 11-15-2006, 06:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have not read Growing Readers, I mainly use Lucy Calkins and Debbie Miller. I use Miller's comp stratagy lessons and Lucy Calkins workshop approach.

So my group explorations are done every morning during read aloud. For instince the last two weeks have been Eve Bunting Text to World connections. Before that we did Kevin Hankes for T-T. 4 times a week I do an interactive read aloud that involves instruction of a comprehension stratagy

My focus lessons for workshop involve managment lessons and comprehension lessons. Whenever it is a comp lesson my teaching point is taken from the book I read that morning... The lesson is 5-10 minutes and hopefully begins to move their thinking from the morning into their own reading. I will admit I am forcing them to try to apply the stratagies I am teaching during reader's workshop. THey all know that trying their best is all I ask of them- so they do the best they can applying the stratagy.

My kids maybe spend 5 minutes writting the response/applying the stratagy except once a week (or everyother week) when they write a retell (that takes them about 10 minutes). Since my whole workshop time is 1 hour I do not stress to much about the writting peice taking a little bit of time but we do strongly believe that we do not want to bog down children with writting during reader's workshop. We often scribe for children if they need that assitance.

I am not sure if all of that makes sense...but what I do know is that I believe in a gradual response of responsibilty. I heavily model a stratagy, then it moves to whole group discussion, then into the partner talk portion of interactive read aloud, then marking with a sticky and sharing with their partner at the end of RW, then perhaps writting in their think book, and sharing during wrap up of RW.

So when I taught retelling- First I had one written, then I wrote in front of them, then we wrote one together as a class, then they wrote one with a partner. All of this happening during read aloud.

Then it moved into RW with them just marking one story element at a time or just recording one element of a story (that days focus- movement through time, or change in character...) until it got to a point where writting a whole retell was not a daunting task and a managable one.

So anyways...very long winded. I find it hard to explain through typing. Let me know your thoughts though (besides the fact I can't spell and I am long winded )

Jaime

BookMuncher

rw
Old 11-16-2006, 03:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thanks for the response!! I guess I see how you fit it all... I don't have enough time in the morning for a longer interactive read aloud, so I do it in the afternoon.

I've been taking Kathy Collin's approach: which (at least as I interpret it) is for the kids to see you doing a strategy for at least a month before you introduce it into reader's workshop. So while I was setting up my reader's workshop in Sept, I was informally modeling connections in read alouds. When I was finally ready to really get into it, they had a good idea of what it was.

I think you'd like Growing Readers, since it's basically Calkins, updated. Are you familiar with it? (The forward is by Calkins and Kathy Collins taught in the teacher's college)

Jaime-2

I will have to look into it
Old 11-16-2006, 04:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

It sounds interesting. I will check with one of the literacy coaches at our school to see if we can get a copy of it to check out. Our whole reading model is based on training with a literacy group that has a strong teachers college background.

Jaime