Help

Fourth Grade

Fun Activities to go with Trophies Stories

>

pintosmom

Fun Activities to go with Trophies Stories
Old 06-12-2008, 03:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This will be my third year using the Trophies reading program and I am starting to feel like I'm in too much of a pattern. I'm trying to collect ideas for some fun activities, projects, or extensions that go along with some of the stories or themes to spice it up a bit. Any ideas?

pintosmom is offline   Reply With Quote

bearsrock

Trophies ideas
Old 06-13-2008, 09:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hey Pintosmom!
We use the Trophies series in our school also. I feel your pain about the pattern that has developed! I too would like some ideas to enliven the stories. Some of the things we have done is have our own word jar to go with Donovan's Word Jar. We also have a week long unit that we have the entire 4th grade create flying inventions to go along with that story. We have attempted to order Venus fly traps and some of the other rare plants to have in the room, but that hasn't happened as of yet.

Do you have any suggestions? Maybe we can collaborate together!
bearsrock is offline   Reply With Quote

Chick

Trophies
Old 06-13-2008, 11:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I, too, use the Trophies reading series. I would love some new ideas.
Chick is offline   Reply With Quote

Daxermama

We use Trophies too
Old 06-13-2008, 11:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I get where you are coming from. I know I have added a few activities so a few of the stories but my files are in my classroom at the moment. I had a student teacher from last January until the end of school so I forget exaclty what I/she did. Maybe we could all think of things to share.

We've had the Trophies series for 5 years now and this year after listening to Donovan's Word Jar on tape, several of my kids said, "That was the dumbest story I've ever heard. Who collects WORDS?" You know, I never thought of that but it's true. It really is sort of a dumb story...in fact, I think several of them are. That is why I supplement my reading curriculum with a few novels throughout the year.

Sorry for venting a little...let's think of ideas for Trophies!
Daxermama is offline   Reply With Quote

latitude101

We Use Trophies Also
Old 06-13-2008, 05:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We've had Trophies for 6yrs now and I don't read all the stories. Some I don't like and one of them being Donovan's Word Jar. I'm not really a fan of this program. I often do the Vocab Power, read the story and take the test. I might use some of the guided reading books, but otherwise I don't do many extension activities with this program. I do many projects with chapter books, instead

latitude101 is offline   Reply With Quote

pintosmom

The More Ideas the Better
Old 06-13-2008, 08:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

It would be great if we could work together to come up with ideas. We are required to teach Trophies at my school, so I have to do something. I do reading groups too where I have lit. circles, but I still want to add to the book since I have to do it. I actually was searching all over for Venus Flytraps last weekend, not easy to find in Vegas.

One thing I did that went with the story Gold Rush, was the students made pioneer journals. Since Nevada History is also part of fourth grade curriculum, that worked out really well. It also correlated with the story, I have Heard of A Land.

For the story about the Wolf Pups, the kids made time lines of a pup's life. Thats about all I have come up with so far, other than vocab., story, think and respond, test, sooooooo boring.

Chick

Trophies
Old 06-14-2008, 08:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My files are at school...this is coming from the top of my head:

The Gardener - We wrote letters to family. We planted flowers in cups.
Donovan's Word Jar - I drew a HUGE jar(layered it); let kids write(pens, markers, crayons..that's why I layered it) their favorite words from the story on it, taped it to the wall...anytime they came across a word they liked (whatever reason) they added it to the jar. We used this for writing, grammar study, etc.
Amelia & Eleanor - they researched their lives.
Wolf Pup Diary - we did a timeline; researched wolves & compared them to fairy tale wolves; wrote a summary of the story.
Fire - we had a firefighter come in to show his equipment & talk about a fire he worked.
Sarah, Plain & Tall - We compared Maine with Kansas; we wrote letters pretending to be looking for a soul-mate; we researched weather; we drew pictures using only the "colors of the sea" while listening to a thunderstorm CD.
Red Writing Hood - they made props, memorized lines, put the play on for other classrooms.
Rajah's Rice - we counted pennies(fake) for 2 weeks.
Paul Bunyan - we read & compared tall tales; they created their own stories with their own character; we took some measurements to prove the exaggerations.
Fly Traps - we divided into groups, each person in the group researched a different carnivorous plant, drew a picture or got a picture & labeled the parts, wrote a report on their plant (2 paragraphs: *where located, type of environment, * how it catches it prey. Displayed this on poster paper. Then they created a 3-D model of their carnivorous plant. Presented reports & model to the class.

That's all I can think of right now.

pintosmom

Another Question for Trophies
Old 06-15-2008, 06:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Do you allow the students to use their textbooks to look back in the story while taking the comprehension test? This has been a debate at our school. I can kind of see both sides. Some say they shouldn't be allowed to use the book because we need to assess them on what they comprehended and remembered. My arguement is that one strategy is to reread, and they can't reread if they don't have the book. Another arguement I have is that on our state test I want them to reread and look back in the story if they need help. What do you think?

Chick

Using Textbook
Old 06-15-2008, 02:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have changed my opinion on using tbe books during the assessment. I let my kids use the book....
Are we testing them on their skill of remembering every small detail or on their ability to use the reading skills we teach? Plus, we need to direct them to reread, use important words, inferring, etc.....BECAUSE they will have to have learned how to do this by the time state testing comes around on their own!!

pintosmom

I agree!
Old 06-15-2008, 03:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I completely agree with you chick. Now I have more ammo for my argument! Thanks

Trinia2

Absolutely!
Old 06-16-2008, 05:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I am a firm believer in looking back. It is a comprehension test, not a memory test. We want them to reread and look back for the state tests; this is good practice!
Trinia2 is offline   Reply With Quote

whitnelm

The Gardener Lesson Plan
Old 06-17-2008, 03:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

This will be my first year teaching regular education (4th grade). I have been teaching special education for 6 years. I was wondering...if anyone was willing to share their lesson plan for the Harcourt Trophies "The Gardener" selection to help me get an idea of what to do with the reading curriculum? Thanks in advance!
whitnelm is offline   Reply With Quote
bouy

bouy

Response to pintosmom
Old 09-12-2009, 11:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I never thought of that. For now on I will allow my students to use the text when answering. They do need that practice.