Fourth Grade

multiplication facts incentive?

>

myfav93

myfav93

multiplication facts incentive?
Old 01-18-2009, 11:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm going to start testing the kids on their multiplication tables. I am going to start with the 2's and go up to the 12's. I need help. I want them to "earn" something with each passed test. First of all, how long should I give them for 100 questions? Like 100 problems of 2's?

I really like the idea of a sundae party, but I hate that some of my kids will not make it very far. They are just not capable right now. Is there a way I could just check progress??? What do you suggestion? Like they have to get so many right per test to earn the piece of the sundae? Or if they go up a certain percent they get the sundae part?

Next question...does anyone else use a different idea than sundaes for an incentive? Thanks! I want this to be fun for them!!!

occupationtra

Old 01-19-2009, 06:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My 4th grade team does timed tests for all the basic facts. Regardless of the type (+ - x / ) the kids get 100 for 3 minutes. However, we don't start with 2s and work up. Third grade (or at least some of the classes) did that and I now have kids who only know up to their 4's and have NO idea of any of their other facts because they could never pass that test. When it came to 2 digit multiplication and then long division they were in trouble. We give all the facts up to 9's (after that they can solve it the long multiplication way) and point out tricks---like if you know 4x7 then you know 7x4.

For incentive, I have the "Three in a Row Club" When a kid gets 3 100's in a row, they join the club for that type and move up. So if they get 3 100's for single digit multiplication (in a row--if they get 2 100's and then a 94, they start over), I move them up to 2 digit times 1 digit with slightly fewer problems. For addition I have kids still on single digit and then my highest is all the way up to 4 digit plus 4 digit!

They like joining the club and many will take timed tests when they finish other work, especially if they're close to joining.
occupationtra is offline   Reply With Quote

4thGradeNV

banana split
Old 01-19-2009, 08:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

In the past, I have rewarded them with pieces of a banana split. First they earn the napkin, then the bowl, then the spoon, the one scoop, and so on. They loved it!
4thGradeNV is offline   Reply With Quote

hokieteach

Old 01-19-2009, 03:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Our 3rd grade does the sundaes and it works fabulously. When I taught 3rd I just had to let them know that I was serious..if they only earned their bowl and a spoon then that was what they were getting. In the interest of time we just did 20 problems in 1 minute. I don't think my 4th graders could do 100 problems and get 100% correct in 3 minutes. The kids who finish the 20 in less than a minute (and there is not many) can go back and check to make sure they have not made silly errors. We did it for about 3 weeks, so the kids that had already earned all 9 parts of the sundae got to take a brain break for a minute.

In 4th, I need to do a little review of basic multiplication and division facts before we start those units. So, we make little graphs for our desks from index cards and chart how many problems we get correct each day. I leave the graphs taped to their desks. I just made 5 different 20 question quizzes and we do that at the start of math each day. The only incentive I gave them was the pleasure of seeing their graph look better and better. At the end of the week I staple the graph and all five quizzes together and send it home. That can be somewhat eye opening for parents who "thought" their kids had already learned their facts.
hokieteach is offline   Reply With Quote

beckamcf

Mult. Tests
Old 01-20-2009, 05:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Some of our teachers do Prescision Timings with each fact, but to get an idea of where they need to be we give a one min. timing where they have to write 0 - 9 over and over again until the min. is up. Then you count how many digits they have written and that is where their goal should start. Ex. If Johnny write 62 digits he would be expected to answer that many digits (count each digit as one. 24 as a product would be counted as 2 digits). Since all children won't be able to do the same amount in one min. or three min, give each one a different goal. Then when they reach that goal raise it by ten. and so on. Hope this helps!

beckamcf is offline   Reply With Quote

Gwenie

mult.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We do pizzas and they earn the crust, sauce, and all kinds of toppings. They have to pass a 100 test for each before going to the next. I keep a checklist to keep track. I have keys. I say the answers to the one that most kids are on. The others use the premade keys to grade their own. If they don't finish it, they have to do the rest for homework and study it. We gave 5 minutes for 100 problems. The pizza party can be used with english muffins and toppings, or refrigerated pizza dough with sauce, cheese, and pepperoni. Some kids never make it though. They had to write out a promise saying they would learn and practice the facts and they still go to participate in the party. Hope this helps!
Gwenie is offline   Reply With Quote

riverwoods

a non-food incentive
Old 03-08-2009, 03:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I made multiplication and division licenses for my students as they completed learning their basic facts. I just used business cards in Word and imported their pictures and addresses, etc. into a template I made that mimics our state driver's license. The kids have gone wild about them!
riverwoods is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherpippi

Old 03-08-2009, 04:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We just did a pizza incentive and the kids LOVED it!
teacherpippi is offline   Reply With Quote

momof4boys

Gwenie
Old 09-28-2009, 01:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I love the pizza idea! I have been doing the banana split idea and now I think I will change..do you have a bulletin board with the parts of the pizza as they pass each one? I think I will do this...
momof4boys is offline   Reply With Quote