Help

Sunflower Room

Conferring during RW

>

kaycee1128

Conferring during RW
Old 12-13-2006, 08:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I feel like I am really lacking in this area...writing conferencing is a breeze from me but when I am I conferencing during reading workshop a lot of times I don't know what to say. Some things are pretty obvious (just right books, strategies) other times I am kind of just going "okay now what." What are some things that you guys have found helpful during conferencing to discuss? Do you have a specific form you use?

1stgradenew

I feel the same way
Old 12-14-2006, 08:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I wish there was a book out there specifically for RW conferences...lots for writing but not reading. I will be checking back on this post and looking for others thoughts and ideas!

Jaime-2

You pretty much said it...
Old 12-20-2006, 05:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am either going to discuss fluency, comprehension, or decoding most of the tiem.
No matter what there level is you can always hit on the comprehension- even if it is preteaching something that you are going to do whole group. I think there are hmm now what moments for every teacher...it is to be expected. I fall back on preteaching a stratagy, just complementing something they are doing and reinforing it, or disucssing their current reading goals with them. I will see if I can figure out where I got it from but I have a list of different stratagies to teach different leveled readers that I carry should I need a refrece. I look at it every now and then but for the most part just open my confrence with what are you working on as a reader today and do you need any help with anything and most of the time the kids take the lead on the confrence...

I record on a grid templet (just boxes with the students names) I write my obervation of their reading, my compliment, and then my teaching point. I always check and see what my last confrence was about before meeting with the student in case that is something I need to check back in on.

I do teach second grade where most of the time they are working on applying a reading comprension stratagy to their own basket and like to discuss that job that they are working on. Is it the high, medium, or low students that you find those moments with teh most?

I do not know of any books that are just reading confrences...there are books that have chapters on the topic ... I have watched a few good videos of reading confrences though. I think that Lucy Calkin's One-on_one Confrencing is a huge help with the structure of confrencing if that is what you are looking for (even though it is writting). If you are looking for teaching points that is different. I will see if I can find out which book my leveled teching point suggestion list came from!

Jaime

annie ann

Conferences
Old 12-30-2006, 04:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Kathy Collins book Growing Readers talks about reading conferences throughout the book. You might find it helpful.