Help

Sunflower Room

Mosaic Book Study CHP 1

>

grade4curlyQ

Mosaic Book Study CHP 1
Old 01-10-2007, 03:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Anyone who would like to join our discussion on Mosaic of Thought is encouraged to at any time.
Sorry...... it seems that finding just the right place to hold the discussions took a few detours!

Alas with the help of bookmuncher, it appears that it would probably be most appropriate to hold the study in this room being that it highly "reading" based in here.

Mosaic is new to me. In reading some posts on pro teacher, a few teachers referred to some terminology that I was unfamiliar with which made me curious enough to search the Internet and become fascinated! I was able to piece a lot of the information together, yet still seemed a little lost. Thus I purchased both Mosaic and Strategies that Work in an effort to piece everything together while learning to become a better teacher.

I had never read or heard of the poem "First Reader" prior to opening this book. After reading CHP 1, I reread the poem over and over again. I could see the meaning some of the analogies the author drew as well as the reasoning behind some of the questions it prompted her to ask of herself. However, because we all bring an infinite amount of personal experience to the words we read, some of what she said held no meaning for me.

"They didn't invite me to look beyond the pages into their lives. They didn't encourage me to think." p. 3 I highlighted these sentences because they mesmerized me. Being a reader of Dick and Jane as a child, it never occurred to me as a child just how much "looking" around we were doing as readers. Though we learned from those stories, I don't remember thinking "....beyond the text, considering multiple meanings, proposing alternative interpretations......or even pondering symbolism." I know I was a very literal reader as a child. I'm certain that I didn't even comprehend analogies until probably middle school! I think we have come a very long way in reading instruction that these ideas can be approached and understood in elementary school.

"Layers of meaning in the text were never considered possible for us." p. 3 WOW! As an adult, everything I read has multiple layers of meaning. It seems that this is the case due to the fact that I can make connections and see overlapping relationships.......thereagain I think to myself - is one of my goals in reading instruction.

The author mentioned something on p.4 that struck a cord with me as well: "....I wasn't intellectually capable of participating." Her hindsight makes me wonder how many of us were really aware of how we constructed understanding of literature when we too were in high school? I hope this is perhaps a foreshadowing of meta cognitive techniques in future chapters.

Personal goals vs. what's realistic in a 4th grade classroom: Personally, nothing would please me more than developing intellectual readers capable of participating in a book discussion which examines symbolism. Is this realistic? I am confident that 4th graders could achieve this in fictional literature. I wouldn't desire to stop there though. I would want to have them experience it in each type of genre with a compare & contrast element as well!

The author also said something on p. 6 that had me thinking pretty deeply for two days. I was branching off in numerous directions both in favor of and in opposition to this part about the poem: "Is he asking us to reexamine a system where the potential for children to grow up literate and intellectually curious is seriously limited when they must be more concerned with......." I had that stuck in my head, broken up in to four major sections of possibilities! It really was meant to make the reader THINK! I brought it up to a few of my colleagues and it made a lively conversation. "You'll keep telling us more about this book won't you?" was their reply!

Something else that is new to me from this book are the 4 elements of a learning environment: time, ownership, response, and community. Did I miss this class in college? How is it that these terms are simply never spoken or heard around here? How far behind am I? Will I be able to make a difference from January to May with this class that I have right now and with what I learn from this book?