Sunflower Room

kindergarten comprehension strategies - help

>

teacher 1

teacher 1

kindergarten comprehension strategies - help
Old 01-13-2007, 06:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

can anyone give my some ideas for great books to be used for teaching comprehension strategies in kindergarten. i want to use them as read alouds to children. this month i am working on inference. i am really trying here but i find the whole concept difficult. so if you could give me ideas for books and the kind of questions you use it would be so helpful. thanks.

BookMuncher

inferring
Old 01-13-2007, 06:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Inferencing isn't so bad if you keep the meaning simple for them: It's when the reader has to be a detective and figure out things that the author doesn't tell us. (It could be the meaning of an unknown word, the author's message, how a character is feeling, or just the overall events of a book)

A lot of Kevin Henkes books are good for inferring characters feelings. Also, Somebody Loves You Mr. Hatch, is good for that. Before reading them aloud, just go through and look for places where the character does somehting or says something, but the author doesn't come right out and tell how they are feeling.

I love the book The Other Side by Woodson for inferring the author's message. A lot of Dr. Seuss ones are good for this too-- like the Sneetches, the Grinch, the Lorax. Again, Kevin Henkes books work too.

For inferring what's going on in a book-- or sometimes I call it inferring to piece together a puzzle-- I LOVE Grandfather Twilight. I was just looking on Amazon yesterday, and you can buy it used there. It is SOOOOO worth it and your kindergartners would love it. I always read it aloud 3 or 4 times with no talking or commenting (it's very short). They are mesmerized. Then we start from the beginning and comment on things we notice that are giving us clues to the story. We infer the whole way through to make meaning for ourselves.

Inferencing is my favorite strategy to teach, and once the kids start to realize how much authors don't say, they'll be inferring all over the place!!

teachrchick

Old 01-15-2007, 04:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

teacher 1,

Inferencing really to me, encompasses all of the strategies. When children make a prediction, they are inferring, when they ask a question, they are inferring, when they draw a conclusion, they are inferring. In kindergarten and first grade, I like to keep this comprehension strategy very general, as these little guys are natural inferrers!

Best of luck!
Lisa S

Lisa S

Reading Coach
Old 01-16-2007, 06:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

With kindergarten I found it easiest to introduce the concept of inference before using it in a comprehension exercise. I do an activity where I show them pictures to see what they can infer from the information they are getting. For example, A picture of a bicycle laying on the ground with a boy sitting next to it crying. What can you infer? he probably fell off his bike, How do you know? What clues do you have? His bike is down, he's crying, etc. When you introduce books, start with having the students make inferences based on the illustrations. When you start having them infer from text they've heard, it will be an easier transition.

i teach k

Old 01-16-2007, 06:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

thanks for the suggestions. i will put them to good use!

Fulton

Fulton

Wishing on a star.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am teaching kindergarten as a long term sub. We are learning about inferencing, and I found the book, Alligator Baby, by Robert Munsch to be a good one for this purpose. I started with some pictures like a policeman standing by a car on the side of a highway, rows of chairs in a park with people all dressed up, etc. As I showed the pictures, I asked what was happening in the pictures. The students knew someone was getting a ticket, or there was a wedding. Then I asked how they knew. We got around to what they know, and what clues were in the pictures and that it is a strategy good readers use called inferencing. Then we read the story, stopping to see if they could make an inference about each baby that the parents brought home, based on what they know and the clues that are given. Sorry for being so long-winded....

kid_at_heart

Old 10-08-2008, 06:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I don't remember where I got this but I use it ALL the time! There is a section for books to teach inference:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Picture Book List for Modeling Strategies.pdf (266.5 KB, 1169 views)

Michikolani

Awesome!!
Old 04-28-2010, 11:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thanks I love this!!! This is great!!! Thank you! I was looking for this :0)