Help

Sunflower Room

Predictions

>

lovebug422

Predictions
Old 02-14-2007, 02:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Keep in mind, I've just recently started Reader's Workshop in my classroom. We been talking about warming our minds up to get ready for reading (we've discussed this in guided reading groups prior to this) by taking a careful look and noticing things on the front cover, thinking about the title, taking a picture walk - I've been having the kids make predictions for new reads with sticky notes. Many of the predictions are pretty "thin" - for instance a book called "Dancing Dinosaurs" a little guy in my class predicted it would be about dancing dinosaurs. Another little girl was reading "Cinderella's Ball" and her prediction was "I think it will be about Cinderella at a ball". Any tips for getting your kids to think deeper than that?

TIA!

Holly

BookMuncher

they might not be ready
Old 02-14-2007, 03:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It depends on what you've taught them so far... I don't do warming up to read until just after I taught them what schema is. Then, we talk about how they need to think about their schema for that kind of book. What do they know about it from the cover? Is it likely to be magic or not? Silly or serious? Does it fit into a category they know (fairy tale, song, etc.) If so, how could that help them as they read?

Also, by looking at the picture what schema is activated? (ex: schema for taking care of a pet, going to the amusment park) If so, how could that help them as a reader?

That's where we begin... later in the year, when we talk about inferences and how they are really just predictions, the kids use what new knowledge they have about inferences to make even better predictions. Knowing that inferences are a combo of book clues and schema, they'll say things like, I see that the girl look scared and from my schema I think that's because she's in a waiting room and doesn't want to visit the doctor.

When we talk about questions, they'll be able to add, "I wonder if she'll have a good visit? I wonder if she'll change at the end?"

I view warming up as a really important skills b/c it actually concerns more than just predicting-- it also has a lot to do with revision of thinking. As you go through different comprehension strategies, it will take on a different meaning.