Sunflower Room

Synthesis

>

kaycee1128

Synthesis
Old 03-03-2007, 07:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am not quite sure if I "get" synthesis. This is what I am thinking:

*It is all the strategies coming together so you really "get" the book.
*It's kind of like the big "AHA" when you put everything together.
*Summarizing the book and making it your own so it stays in your head.

What do you guys think about synthesis? How would you describe it?

BookMuncher

synthesis
Old 03-04-2007, 06:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I agree... this is a toughy, and b/c I never got to it last year, I know it even less. I always feel like I really get a strategy after I teach it and learn it with the kids. The way I see it is:

Like someone is putting together a puzzle (without the benefit of the box picture). They are using all their strategies, like starting with the straight edges, looking for matching colors, doing different parts simultaneously. As they build it they say, "I think it might be..." "Now, because of this part, I think it might be..." Until the end, where they realize what the "big picture" is.

I think it's a lot about revising your thinking. I think also that it incorporates more than just the other strategies-- it also depends on understanding themes, character traits, and character development (at least in fiction). It's like summarizing, but a little bigger because it is infused with your own schema and opinions and expectations (met or unmet). It is infused with your own world views.

What do other think? Or- how do you teach it to kids?

Jeanne b

first graders
Old 03-04-2007, 02:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

How much do you think first graders will progress to the stage of sythensis? I'm thinking that if a student had been through RWM through first and on to second grade they could really reach the level of sythesis. I'm hoping to get there this year but I also have lots of things I plan to do a bit differently next year.

BookMuncher

sythesis
Old 03-04-2007, 03:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I don't know the answer, but I think they can get something out of it. What always worries me is that they aren't necessarily going to get in 2nd (at least in my school), and I do want to equip them the best I can. Like I think you are saying, Jeanne-- equipping them the best we can MAY mean skipping it so that we know that they really can apply the other strategies, OR it may mean exposing them to synthesis. I guess it depends on time and on our group.

Jeanne b

Sending them on
Old 03-04-2007, 04:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Bookmuncher, I guess my feelings about sending them on to second grade and not getting to experience what we've done this year in RWM and WW is the difficult part for me. I KNOW what these kids can comprehend, their love for reading and writing. To think that this will be an "end" in a sense is hard. I only hope that we can do enough this year to take them into their reading and writing "world" and still follow through with strategies they have learned.

You mentioned at one time that you will be moving to second, any news on that front? I guess that moving to second and being able to take these same kids further would be a positive in moving "up".

kaycee1128

2nd Grade
Old 03-04-2007, 04:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I know how you guys feel about sending your kids on. It makes me feel awful and I stress about it all the time. There are 3 second grade teachers at my school and 2 of them teach strictly out of the basal and use worksheets. Although I have never been in their classrooms I have heard the way they talk to their kids in the hall and I can't stand it. It makes me sick. The other teacher is great but chances are a lot of my kids won't get her. It is just sad that not all children can be in a classroom where they can participate in meaningful reading, choose books, discuss books, write etc. (I know you guys know exactly what I mean!)

Back to synthesis...they way I have the rest the year layed out I will get to it and like Bookmuncher said then it might all come together. I always learn more from the kids anyway.