Help

Sunflower Room

Inferring Questions

>

cheery1

Inferring Questions
Old 03-12-2007, 07:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach first grade and have recently been teaching my students about inferring. I am using Debbie Miller's chart where she finds words that are unknown and as a whole class infers the meaning. My class is very excited and want to start using this technique independently. (We have already learned about text to self, text to text, predictions, and mental images (just to give you a background) and they are independently making these connections.
My problem is that today a few of my lower readers came up to me and had words like "could" and "window" and wanted to chart them and put them up someowhere as words we wanted to infer the meaning to. So, how do I eliminate words that some of the lower readers don't know how to sound out, but a word that they know (while they are reading independently)? I am excited that the students are intrigued by inferring, but how do I make it more meaningful to difficult words?
Please let me know what has worked for you.