Help

Sunflower Room

Parking at TC

>

LilMissSEI

Parking at TC
Old 07-19-2010, 01:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I know many of you who use this board have been to a summer institute at TC, so hopefully someone can answer my question here.

I'm attending the Writing Institute in August Just received all of my registration info through email. I noticed it says there is parking on the street and parking in a garage, but the garage costs 15-25 dollars per day. Does TC not offer parking anywhere? Anywhere I can park for free? My colleague and I are driving in from MA. I wasn't thinking I would have to drop $125 for parking.

BookMuncher

parking- ugh!
Old 07-25-2010, 03:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

From my experience, there is some free parking if you get very lucky. (Maybe others know more about how to find it consistently) We only got free parking one day when we had a whole hour to kill driving around and the driver wasn't afraid to just sit there and wait for someone to pull out. It is ridiculous. The parking garage fees STINK, but it's what we did most days.

Where are you staying, b/c we had to drop a lot more than 125 b/c we still had to also park overnight. We didn't stay at a hotel so we had to park in a garage.

Is there any possibility of you leaving your car wherever you're staying and taking the subway in, b/c there's a station that opens up right in front of the main building.

Fern

the church
Old 07-26-2010, 02:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We parked at the church when we went down for a 1-day thing, and I think it was $30. I can't imagine paying that every day! Can you park in New Haven and take the train in? I think it brings you very close to TC.

LilMissSEI

Old 07-27-2010, 07:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We are actually staying in the TC dorms. I think we're going to take a Peter Pan bus to and from Boston. Between gas, tolls, and parking - it just seems easier. Only about $60 roundtrip!

PamelaNYC

Take the Bus
Old 07-29-2010, 04:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

You can park on the streets, but you have to get there early in the morning. Also, you have to be careful about street cleaning rules. If you are parked when those rules are in effect, you will get a nice big ticket to pay. There is also metered parking right in front of the TC building, but those spaces are hard to come by.

Nicki2482

that's nyc parking for you...
Old 07-29-2010, 05:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Yeah, parking in new york is not easy. You either have to have substantial time to drive around and look for a space or be willing to pay for a garage. If you google "nyc parking garages," you can find sites that list the rates at various parking garages. You can enter an address and find garages near by.
I took a responsive classroom workshop this week (which was very close to TC) and found a garage close to the site and that was $10 a day - not cheap but much more reasonable than many garages. Though I'd also say that $15 or more is about what you'll find for garages directly around TC. Good luck!