Help

Sunflower Room

The Daily Five

>

Miccol71

The Daily Five
Old 01-18-2007, 09:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was wondering if anyone uses this book and your thoughts on it.

meme in 2nd

meme in 2nd

Love it!
Old 01-20-2007, 07:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I read the book this summer and I love it! The authors are very down to earth and easy to read. You don't have to be super "deep" to get their ideas. Very practical and doable. Has made a huge difference in my classroom. Kids very independent. I get to just teach! I think the authors do reading workshop instead of guided reading, but it was easy to adapt to guided reading. The kids' response has been incredible. Can you tell I love it! There are four other teachers in my grade and this book is the only thing we agree on. meme

grade4curlyQ

Next....
Old 01-21-2007, 06:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This book is next on my 'must read' book list after Strategies that Work. I just recently learned about it myself.
Meme..........is it true that it will help the classroom teacher schedule GR and RW daily?

r9miles

Daily 5
Old 01-21-2007, 06:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I cannot recommend it enough! I am so pleased with how it has worked in my room. Just make sure you follow their recommendations completely especially the components of T charts being student made. Many of teachers in my building have tried to alter it to fit their styles and I don't think they are very successful. I followed it to the T even in the areas I wasn't convinced about and I am SUPER pleased. My classes reading scores are reflective of this. It is a perfect environment for Miller's minilessons as well.

Any questions feel free to contact me.

r9miles

Daily 5
Old 01-21-2007, 06:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I use a guided reading approach and this is the perfect set up!

eloise

Love it!
Old 03-29-2007, 05:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have tried to start this year (we aren't quite there all the way, yet) but what we have done I really enjoy. The only problem I have found is having enough time to do it the way they do in the book - I have had to combine some elements...

TeacherCarrie

Old 03-29-2007, 06:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

It is also on my to read list after I finish reading Strategies that Work and The Framework for Understanding Poverty. I plan on reading it this summer. I have heard many great things from teachers here on this board.

grade4curlyQ

I read it in February....
Old 03-30-2007, 12:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

and loved it! It's tailored more for the lower grades, however in the very back of the book, they give intermediate level suggestions for schedule structuring.
I plan to read Debbie Miller's literature this summer. Maybe some of you plan to do the same thing and want to post about it then? I'm behind the times a bit with reading Miller so late in the game!

iluv2nd

I saw the sisters
Old 03-30-2007, 05:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

a couple of weeks ago and immediately bought the book. There isn't anything revoluntionary in it but there are some great organizational tips and strategies if you want to add purpose and a bit of unstructured structure (?) to the work time of reading workshop. Their approach focuses on meaningful reading and writing and word work... I will limit my use to what they call the Daily 3 (read to self, listen to reading, read with a partner) because I want my kids focusing on reading not word work or writing at during our workshop. The book helped me organize my thinking and gave me ways to help the kids experience all 3 within the workshop time. I was impressed that I got a return email regarding a question I had within one day of the conference!

grade4curlyQ

email
Old 03-31-2007, 04:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I am impressed about your email response as well! That's phenominal. I had some questions that were not answered in the book when I had finished as well.