Help

Sunflower Room

2nd grade RW accountability

>

teachersd

2nd grade RW accountability
Old 08-06-2010, 07:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am planning on starting Reader's Workshop this year and teaching the different comprehension strategies using it. I teach 2nd grade and I am stuck on what to do for Reading Journals, Binders, Notebooks, etc. What should I include in them? How do I introduce them?
I am also wondering about accountability. What do my students do to be held accountable for their reading? Do they have response activities? Do they do something in their notebook?
Also, assessment is my last question. How do I assess RW in order to give my students the required 2 grades a week per subject (crazy I know!)?
I would appreciate any suggestions to help me get started. Thanks so much!

VAreader

Accountability in RW
Old 08-07-2010, 06:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I posted 3 assessment sheets that I use on the board. You can find them easily on the board below your post. I did an assessment on text to text, text to self, making inferences. I usually make some wide-open assessment to use for a big grade at the end of a unit.

As for grades during the week, you could do practical observations. I often walk around with paper and a clipboard and write about what I see students doing. I often say, "Oh my gosh, you guys are working on such smart stuff that I've filled up my WHOLE paper! I can't write fast enough!!!" They like that, because it makes them feel important and that they are doing important things. I then use my notes to give subjective grades based on the On Task Behavior, High Level Thinking, etc. You could do a quick bulleted sheet on your computer to send home if you need to send home. Choose three things to watch for that day, and then do a rubric, say 1--4, so the highest grade a student could get would be 12, and the lowest 3. Then align your grades up to that. I use a LOT of rubrics like that to communicate student performance to parents. I will attach my generic rubric, change it however you see fit.

My students do a lot with sticky notes. They keep their sticky notes in the reading journals. I'm not so good at reading notebooks, but that is my goal for this year. I need to require the students to write something at least once a week about their reading. I am having trouble figuring out how to structure that, though. Suggestions???
Attached Files
File Type: doc Readerís Workshop Weekly Rubric.doc (33.0 KB, 329 views)