Sunflower Room

small group/individual?

>

violetsarebl

violetsarebl

small group/individual?
Old 07-20-2010, 05:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This will be my first year trying a Reader's Workshop in my first grade classroom. In the past, I have worked with guided reading groups while the other students were working on reading work. I was wondering if during the reader's workshop, I should still be working with small groups or should I be conferencing with one child at a time. A lot of the reading I have doen has said that conferencing is done one student at a time but I am just wondering if I would still be able to get to the students as often as I do now. Thanks!

MariaD

Small Group and 1 to 1
Old 07-20-2010, 10:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Different people do it different ways, but I try to do both. While my students are reading independently, I have 1 to 1 conferences with readers and try to meet with one small group during this time as well. In a perfect world, I meet with each child twice a week -- once in a small group and once in a 1 to 1 conference. Am I able to do this every single week? Absolutely not. Sometimes it will take me a week and a half to get through all of my small groups and individual conferences.

A lot will depend upon the amount of time you're able to allocate to your reading workshop each day. You may want to start off by aiming to meet with each child one time each week - either in a small group or an individual conference and work your way up from there. I find that things tend to go more and more smoothly as the year progresses and as my students and I get more comfortable with the routines.

I hope this helps.
violetsarebl

violetsarebl

Thanks!
Old 07-20-2010, 12:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks for your help! This gives me a good idea of where to start!

BookMuncher

Groups
Old 07-25-2010, 03:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I think that especially in first grade you want to keep guided reading going because that is what lifts kids up to the next level (and of course, in first, they move through the most levels of any other grade).

A management technique that has worked for me is that I try really hard to get to all my kids in one to one conferences Monday through Wednesday. Then I take my notes home on Wed. and put my kids into strategy groups for Thursday and Friday. (I teach 2nd, so I do more strategy groups and less guided reading) But no matter kind of grouping you are doing, it does sometimes help to do all the one to ones first and then move on to groups... at least for me!

VAreader

Strategy Groups vs. Guided Reading
Old 08-07-2010, 11:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

BookMuncher,

How do you do strategy groups? Do you have all students in same book? Do you do a minilesson with a group read aloud? I'd love to know more. I am trying to decide how to work in conferring and groups---as my district is requiring small groups daily.