Help

Sunflower Room

what is reading with meaning?

>

keala50

what is reading with meaning?
Old 08-06-2010, 07:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I saw mentioned on another board Debbie Miller's reading with meaning in reference to reading notebooks. What does this method entail and how is it implemented in the 2nd grade classroom?

VAreader

Reading With Meaning
Old 08-06-2010, 09:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Reading with Meaning is a fabulous book by Debbie Miller. It is essentially look at how she runs reader's workshop in her first grade class. It is absolutely wonderful. In it she describes the strategy lessons she teaches, and then describes how her children work and reflect on those strategies during independent work and reading time. If you want more clarity on the Strategies, Anne Goudlais (sp?) and Stephanie Harvey have an informative book called Strategies That Work that describe the comprehension strategies that are taught.

I teach 2nd, too. Keep in mind these strategies are not like basal comprehension strategies. The idea is to focus on 8 (give or a take a few) strategies such as metacognition, making connections, inferring, visualization, etc. And spend a great deal of time on each one. They use the release of responsibility model (right word??) to gradually teach, model, guided practice, and then independent use of the strategies with the students.

They then use reading conferences to guide and teach individually about student thinking and use of strategies. I have a great deal of difficulty being consistent with my use of conferences. My district is requiring at least 3 different guided reading groups during reading, so I don't think I have a choice anymore. I HAVE to do small groups instead of conferencing. But, if you are interested in pursuing it, there are WHOLE BOOKS on the art of conferring, as they call it.

I am definitely a work in progress, but I've been ecstatic about the results. The only grammar instruction I do is through DOL, and the only phonics instruction I do is through Words Their Way in small groups. My test scores this year showed that my students did just as well, if not better, than the classes not using RW.

I hope this helps. It helped clarify my thinking as I wrote it, but not sure if it makes sense!!!

keala50

same as D5
Old 08-06-2010, 06:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

So is it the same method and ideas as The Sisters' Daily 5?

VAreader

RWM and D5
Old 08-07-2010, 06:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Keala50-- I don't know a whole lot about The Sisters' Daily 5. I only know what I've gleaned from this site and then found on the internet. I know they are similar in that students are to be working independently on not-center/worksheet material. Both RW and D5 emphasize independent reading.

Where they differ (I believe), is that in Readers Workshop students spend the WHOLE TIME during independent practice reading and creating projects or writings or responses to their reading using the strategies I mentioned earlier (making connections, questioning, inferring, etc.) While in D5, only 1/5 of the choices children have is independent reading. They can also choose listen to reading, word work, partner reading, etc.

I like both, from what I know about them, and I'm trying to figure out how to do reader's workshop with some form of a hybrid D5 because I like the word work and the listen to reading.

choppie70

Old 08-23-2010, 04:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Daily 5 is basically the structure to help you accomplish your reader's workshop. It is what the other students are doing while you are working with small groups/individuals.

Daily 5 helps you organize and help students become independent learners.

The CAFE is much like Reading with Meaning in that is gives you mini lessons and more of the bones on WHAT you teach.

liketeaching1

Buy the book!
Old 09-04-2010, 06:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

It changed my teaching tremendously. The pp's have described it well. I might add that Growing Readers is another book that goes into reading workshop strategies of the different comprehension groups. I tend to read Reading With Meaning for inspiration and use the first month of school. Then I use Growing Readers to introduce skills/strategies the rest of the first semester. I go back to Reading with Meaning the second semester.

I use RW as apposed to Daily 5 because I want all my kids to be reading at the same time. However, last year I taught my kids the Daily 5 procedures and used it while my title kids were out of the room the last part of the day. The kids loved having the choices and I had already done my mini-lessons for Word Work, Writing, and Reading!