Sunflower Room

Comprehension: questioning/wondering

>

ghj6789

ghj6789

Comprehension: questioning/wondering
Old 11-04-2010, 07:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am going to be starting a unit on questioning/wondering with my third graders this upcoming week. I would love to hear about some of the materials and lessons you use to teach this strategy. After 7 years in 3rd grade I am tired of using the same old lessons, read alouds and materials! Any suggestions/ideas would be greatly appreciated!

ginadoo

Debbie Miller- Teaching With Intention
Old 11-07-2010, 09:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We used Debbie Millers ideas from Reading with Intention last year. It was great! I'm attaching a few of the lessons. They are not perfect but you can see our idea. Debbie Miller has a great list of books for questioning including the ones in these lessons.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Materials.pdf (110.8 KB, 940 views)

Angel Star

Questioning/Inferring
Old 11-07-2010, 09:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I like to tie questioning and inferring together (along with predicting). We are working on this right now. Basically, I choose interactive read alouds that really get them wondering! We post our predictions, questions, and inferences on an anchor chart. This really gets the kids to notice the difference between the three (which they can easily mix up!)

Just the other day, we read Old Thomas and the Little Fairy which is fabulous for this!

This week, I plan to use lots of Chris Van Allsburg books as well as wordless picture books by Barbara Lehman and David Wiesner.

I'm thinking of trying something new this year to connect this to Writing Workshop. I plan to have my students write the words to the wordless picture books and then publish them as "written by (student name)...illustrated by (author's name)"

Or...I may have all of my students illustrate their own books and then switch so that they can write the text for one another. I'm still working it out in my mind.