Help

Sunflower Room

Chapter books in 2nd grade?

>

teachersd

Chapter books in 2nd grade?
Old 11-03-2010, 08:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

During RW time, do you allow 2nd graders to read chapter books? I didn't put my chapter books out, thinking I read somewhere where you should gradually put more books in your library. What are everyone else's thoughts and ideas regarding chapter books for RW time?

jbkz

I do it
Old 11-04-2010, 06:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have chapter books for my second graders to read if they are reading level 24/28.

KAS112

I do
Old 11-07-2010, 05:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I put out several chapter book series, such as A to Z Mysteries, Gooney Bird Greene, Stink, Jigsaw Jones, Magic Treehouse, the "new" Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys, Junie B (although not my favorite) and some others. I guess it would depend on my DRA numbers coming in. I also have easier series such as Mr. Putter and Tabby, Poppleton and Friends, Frog and Toad, Minnie and Moo, Pinkey and Rex, Henry and Mudge, Annie and Snowball, etc. I do hold back harder ones, that I will add more chapter books as the year goes on.

ACRteach

Old 03-28-2011, 05:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

For the first couple weeks of school, the library is closed. Instead, I pull "first grade favorites" into a basket that I place on each table (Froggy, Franklin, Curious George, Little Critter, Arthur, etc). None of these books are above a level K or so. They are familiar characters and help the kids feel "strong" as readers. This also works as I teach how to use the library, pick Just Right books, etc. I don't want to open the library until all expectations have been set. These are also the books we start building our independent reading stamina with. I try to go up one minute a day.

I usually have most readers coming in a grade above level. Even still, I keep all level N+ books off the shelves until winter. Then, I gradually add new books in. This also keeps kids excited about "new arrivals" to the library.

The single most important thing you can do is teach, reteach, and reteach again picking just right books! Also, you need to drum up as much enthusiasm for picture books by reading aloud from these for the first 6 weeks of school. I swear- this is why my kids are hooked on picture books- Kevin Henkes, Mo Willems, David Shannon, Helen Lester- and they are SOARING through reading levels. I also model a lot about how chapter books are supposed to be read...over a longer period of time, with a bookmark, etc. This helps them see that they only need to shop for one chapter book a week (at least for the beginning of the year) and the rest picture books. Hope this helps!