Sunflower Room

Readers Workshop Observation/ Mgmt help

>

jessy430

Readers Workshop Observation/ Mgmt help
Old 11-03-2010, 10:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello Everyone,

I am looking for some advice. I am in a new school district. I am newer to the profession. I am in my 3rd year of teaching 1st grade. I went through a Graduate Level teaching certification program, so all of my learning was done in my student teaching experience. I am in love with Units of Study for Writer's WOrkshop and have (from here) printed out all of the mini lessons for these units.

I am being observed next week during my readers workshop time, where I generally split my time with 10:10-11:10 . I begin with mini lesson, then allow them to read independtly practicing the skills taught in the mini lesson, then partner read for the last 5-10 mins, then meet back to share examples of friends using the skill. While independent reading I usally conference or pull a strategy group.

I had a pre-observation meeting today to discuss what to expect for my observation. I expressed my concern that my school used to be HUGE into centers/guided reading. I understand the importance of guided reading, but was never shown how to manange these groups. I have just been shooting from the hip.

My supervisor expressed that she would like me to do my mini lesson then have 45 mins broken down into 15 mins independent read-15 mins Authentic reading activity- 15 mins another authentic reading activity. Then meet back to discuss. During this time I would pull 2-3 groups daily.

I am wondering what ideas you may have for these activities, or suggestions for management of these times. Any advice or help or resources are greatly appreciated!

A big thank you to all my PT'ers for all of you continued support and help!

jbkz

Old 11-05-2010, 07:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Jessy430 - sorry no one has responded. I know my first response is it sounds like what you already are doing is good and how and why do you have to change it for your supervisor?

My reading workshop goes like this:
*mini-lesson
*independent reading
*I pull over guided reading groups (in first grade) and I try to get 3 - 4 groups.
*Some kids are listening to books on tape for their independent reading
*Kids partner read last 10 minutes

So, I think mine sounds pretty much like yours. I believe kids should be reading the entire time. I don't know what other activities would be considered "authentic reading activities" besides reading. As they become better at writing, maybe second semester, they could do some reading response in a journal.

Last edited by jbkz; 11-05-2010 at 09:16 PM..

ginadoo

Authentic?
Old 11-07-2010, 09:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You wrote:
My supervisor expressed that she would like me to do my mini lesson then have 45 mins broken down into 15 mins independent read-15 mins Authentic reading activity- 15 mins another authentic reading activity. Then meet back to discuss. During this time I would pull 2-3 groups daily.

My question is what could be more "authentic" than reading to themselves? Does your supervisor know that the research says students need to spend 90 per day with books in their hand reading... even first graders. I'm wondering what he or she think is an authentic reading activity? I think we have been do a disservice to kids making up "activities" and calling them reading. Let them read to self and read to someone! You are on the right track already!

lblau6680

Mini Lessons
Old 05-22-2011, 05:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Where do you find the mini-lessons for writers workshop to print?? In response to your message.