Fourth Grade

Boring

>

AZla

AZla

Boring
Old 08-15-2011, 05:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have all kinds of plans on how to make Social Studies FuN! because our text is so boring. The chapters are long and sometimes filled with more info than needed.
Hoe do you handle reading the text. I have the choice to not fully read it and just use the condensed summaries that come with the chapter, and then I can supplement.

What do you think?

I teach the REGIONS of the USA (geography and history)

mrteacher

Old 08-16-2011, 04:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

For Jamestown, Blood On The River is a great resource. The students really get into the story.
http://www.elisacarbone.com/educator...tudyGuide.html

mrteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Teachin'4th

Jigsaw
Old 08-16-2011, 11:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I often divide the text so that different students or groups of students each read one section. The each group (or individual) shares the big idea from that section. This way the students get exposure to all the content, but it doesn't take so much time to read. It's also a good tie in for literacy (finding main idea, speaking, etc).

I have also used supplemental reading or alternate reading depending on the chapter.
Teachin'4th is offline   Reply With Quote

SteelerFan

I taught reagions
Old 08-16-2011, 01:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I used to cover the first two chapters in depth so that the concepts were learned. Then I taught the first region (Ch 3) with notetaking skills (with an outline) so the class could learn the skill. After that I assigned the chapters as jigsaw assignments. I made sure that the groups didn't always have the same lesson in a chapter so they learned the concepts presented - like geography (L!), climate (L2), industry (L3).
I assigned each of three groups a lesson in the chapter. Then the class had presentation days where notes were presented and I wrote the necessary info on the board so everyone had the notes on the chapter for evaluation day.
I actually did this plan for a Master's class many years ago because I also felt the text had sooooo much information. We have rewritten our curriculum around NCLB so i am re-vamping again to focus on map skills and local information. Last year I used the text for pictures, maps, and charts. We have really cut back on our SS, Sci, Health classes.
SteelerFan is offline   Reply With Quote