Help

Fourth Grade

How to Organize 4th graders?

>

Bolend

How to Organize 4th graders?
Old 08-13-2011, 06:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What's the best way to keep 4th graders organized? I have been teaching 6th graders and they been using 3-ring binders daily. I assume this won't work for 4th graders? Thoughts? I'll be teaching LA and Social studies. I also need to figure out where to put all their computer codes, lunch codes, etc., so if they forget they can look it up easily. Thanks!

Bolend is offline   Reply With Quote

MustangAndi

Binders work!
Old 08-13-2011, 06:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have used binders with 4th graders and they work! You have to explicitly teach what you want where ( be specific) and build routine with them but once you get them started it is a great tool to use! I even have used them with second graders for years as well! Good luck!
MustangAndi is offline   Reply With Quote

Century46

they can do it
Old 08-13-2011, 09:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I use binders as well and my kids have the same number for library, lunch and computer. It is their student ID number so they have had it since Kindergarten. No problems remembering it.

I would just model and have a weekly binder check so those kids that struggle with organization can get caught up. My kids have a study buddy that can help them.
Century46 is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachLoveRead

Silly Question
Old 08-13-2011, 01:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

What size binders do you have your kids use? How often do they "clean them out"? I moved up to 4th from 3rd this year, and the teachers had those 3-prong folders on the supply list-I hate them with a passion! They have a folder for each subject, which seems great on the surface, but I KNOW those stupid prongs will break in a month, and then I also had some kids who got folders without prongs, so their stuff is just shoved every which way in the pockets. I can't find prong folders anywhere anymore in my area, either. I would almost rather consider getting them each a binder.
TeachLoveRead is offline   Reply With Quote

KatSkratch

For TeachLoveRead
Old 08-13-2011, 06:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We are switching to folders this year because the binders were driving us crazy! But- here's how we did it when we did it- They were supposed to have a one inch binder, 6 or 8 pocket divders with tabs, and looseleaf paper. This biggest problem I had was students who didn't purchase the right dividers or enough dividers or any dividers, for that matter. Anyway, ideally, we take the divders and label them with subjects and then also put a little looseleaf paper in each section.

I tried to have mine clean them out once a week because they would start getting really disorganized. The easiest was I found to clean them out is to have them just reorganize stuff and instead of having 30 students asking me what to keep and not, if they had a question about it they just held the paper up in the air and I shake my head yes for keep it or no for toss it. I originally tried to write all the stuff that they had to keep on the board but half of them didn't read the list/pay attention/know what each paper was.

We are going to try the each subject folder this year, but I have the same fear about the prongs breaking. We'll see!

KatSkratch is offline   Reply With Quote

Bolend

Binders
Old 08-14-2011, 11:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I understand what you are saying about the prongs. We had the same problem in 6th grade. But those students would just get a new binder. Hmm...I'm still trying to to decided what to use. What I'm caught up with is this.... Hopefully you organized teachers can shed the light on this problem. If my students have 5-6 folders, how do I deal w/ homework? We have a homework folder that they could take home every day, but if the papers are in their subject folders....then what? I can see papers being moved around a lot...then getting lost, etc. I'm searching for ideas. Thanks everyone!!
Bolend is offline   Reply With Quote

TryingtoLearn

Help!
Old 08-14-2011, 11:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have the same problem. I had the students buy 6 folders one for each subject, but now realized what am I going to do about homework. Ugh!
TryingtoLearn is offline   Reply With Quote

kristeacher

binders
Old 08-14-2011, 02:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I have the kids keep two binders, one for social studies and one for science. They send everything home after each unit is finished. I have them create a cover page, table of contents, and a grade page which includes binder checks. I check them every month to make sure they are neat, organized, and complete. In the past I have had them place all of their papers just inside, but this year I was thinking of having the binder divided into three sections: class readings, notes, and activities. Any ideas about how others use binders.
kristeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

folders/homework
Old 08-14-2011, 05:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

We don't put papers that are homework in separate subject folders at all!
If it's hw, then it goes home in the Home Folder (return to school pocket) and brought back, checked and sent home in the Keep at Home pocket.
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

2kiddies

Old 08-14-2011, 06:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I agree with Linda. If it is homework, it never makes it to a subject folder. It goes straight into the homework folder.

2kiddies is offline   Reply With Quote

kaseyrenee

I used pocket folders
Old 08-15-2011, 10:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

in third grade. This will be my first year in 4th. I am looping up with 12 of my 21 students from last year. I used a specific color for each subject and it worked well. They were supposed to get plain folders (no prongs). I used blue for SS, green for Science, white for ELA (they colored the front and I laminated it - we are required to do work stations, so it needed to last), and we used black as a catch-all for anything else. I would just tell them to take out the correct color folder. I also kept the science/SS folders in a bucket when we weren't using them - I switch out every 4 weeks or so.

They had a take home folder and that is where any math work went that didn't get finished in class.

We have to make our supply lists out for the kids before school ends in June, so I just kept the same system to use in fourth grade.
kaseyrenee is offline   Reply With Quote

laceyl

accordion file
Old 08-19-2011, 06:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

this is my first year in fourth grade, but we use the Amazing Accordion file. They have anywhere from 8-13 pockets, enough for each subject including specials. They take it everywhere, so they always have their work. My daughter still uses her and she's in the 6th grade.
laceyl is offline   Reply With Quote

squared

accordion file
Old 08-19-2011, 06:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Our middle grade students all use the accordion files. It is the best organizational tool that we have found. Even the most disorganized students can manage to get the papers into the file- maybe not the right slot- but in the file. At least they are not losing things or leaving them in their lockers! The file goes everywhere, all classes and home, with them.
squared is offline   Reply With Quote