Help

Fourth Grade

Tracking students in centers

>

MrsShim

Tracking students in centers
Old 08-12-2011, 05:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We are doing workshops (centers) in 4th grade this year. I was wondering how any of you track the students in the centers. I have a pocket chart I plan to use to show where each student should go, but how do you keep track of it all? Any help would be great. Thanks!

MrsShim is offline   Reply With Quote

momlb

4th grade centers
Old 08-13-2011, 07:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My literacy centers include a crate with pendaflex folders with each students' names on them. The students know to file their work in this work-in-progress folder. I give them a weekly checklist so they can check off the assignments as they do them. I keep the centers free choice, as long as all 4 centers are completed by Friday. On Friday, the students staple them together, and turn it in as a packet. Students who have not completed their work by Friday have some extra time to finish after the Friday weekly assessment.
momlb is offline   Reply With Quote

ms.ally

Old 08-15-2011, 12:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

After trying different methods of collecting student work and keeping track of centers, I use a very similar method as momlb's.

I have a file box with files with the students names on them. I have a set of centers for the week and they may choose them in any order to be completed. Their work in progress goes in their folders at their desk and when their work is completed they place it in their personally file in the file box. On Friday, they staple their work to turn in and are giving time to complete any work.

***giving them a checklist is a great idea as well.

I also make rules, such as only 4 people at this center at a time for example. That would be for a center using a listening center or computer etc.
ms.ally is offline   Reply With Quote

slaggyc

Students are independent
Old 08-15-2011, 01:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I list the centers that need to be completed by the end of the week on the board and go over any directions. The students then take their center planning sheet and decide where to go on their own. (They learn time management this way). They record when they worked on the center and what they did during that time. At the end of the week their planning sheets are turned in to me, as well as any completed work. I've loved this method!
Attached Files
File Type: doc rotation summary.doc (36.5 KB, 99 views)
slaggyc is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsShim

Centers
Old 08-21-2011, 05:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks for all your suggestions! I'm definitely going to use the center planning sheet! Thanks.

MrsShim is offline   Reply With Quote