Help

Fourth Grade

Reading Logs for home use?

>

BMc

Reading Logs for home use?
Old 08-12-2011, 01:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm interested in a discussion regarding the use of reading logs. While I want to encourage nightly 'at-home' reading, I often find parts of the process artificial and time consuming.
I question how accurate reading logs are and responding to them takes me a very long time each month.
We don't use AR but I have considered using RAZKIDS (an online program) to indicate time spent reading at home.
I think part of me wants to abandon them this year, so I am interested in hearing how other PT' ers feel and deal with reading logs. Thanks!

BMc is offline   Reply With Quote

BronxTeacher

I read
Old 08-12-2011, 02:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The Book Whisperer this summer and am abandoning them. I'm also abandoning book reports and switching over to book commercials. I will grade the commercials and keep track of them. Each child will be required to do a certain amount for a test grade in reading, I just haven't decided how many that will be yet.

After reading the book, I agreed with what she said- kids that normally read at home often forget to write it down, some just ignore it all together, and some lie on it.
BronxTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

jaebird

I don't do them anymore
Old 08-12-2011, 04:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I stopped using them 3 years ago. I too read the Book Whisperer at that time and it confirmed my gut on getting rid of them Love that book!
One way I try to keep tabs on my kids is by doing status of the class daily. They each have a page where I record what they are reading and what page they are on that day. I either do a 5 minute call out where I call their name and they tell me what page they are on in their book. If they finish a book they say so and the end page and then tell me the title and author of the next book they are reading and the starting page. Sometimes I go around the room while they are independent reading and look over their shoulder at the page. It is so easy to track progress this way, you know who's reading and who's not, they can't keep it straight if they try to make it up so you know that right away too. I also use this as part of their independent reading grade as I expect so many pages to be read throughout the week.
I hope this makes sense!
jaebird is offline   Reply With Quote

2teacher0505

Old 08-14-2011, 10:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Could you please go more into detail on your book commercials? Either on here or IM is fine. Thanks!
2teacher0505 is offline   Reply With Quote

awakelate1

Reading logs
Old 08-15-2011, 10:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I also stopped using them. I agree with those who felt they were not worth the teacher's time and effort. They are not productive for the kids, either. Last year, I just used Lit. Circles. They read and did most of their activities at home, then brought it to the Lit. Circle for discussion. I could tell who was doing their reading by checking in with their circle discussions and looking over their Lit. Circle pages.

I have not read the Reading Whisperer book, but I will definitely check it out.

awakelate1 is offline   Reply With Quote

slaggyc

My Log
Old 08-15-2011, 01:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am not fond of reading logs at all and pretty much disagree with them. However, we are required to do them, so I made a log that I'm somewhat okay with. They don't have to read every night, just a total amount of minutes per week. I'll attach a sample of an old one.

I'm going to check out the book you all shared!
Attached Files
File Type: doc montlyreadinglog.doc (52.0 KB, 107 views)
slaggyc is offline   Reply With Quote

slazor

reading logs
Old 08-31-2011, 11:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I stopped reading logs this year, they became an annoyance for all involved. Instead I created a trimester challenge. We are on trimesters. The students are given a choice menu of the genres we are covering this trimester. Then they are asked to read a book and list the title on the line provided. They must also choose their favorite book and at the end of the trimester they will lead a book talk with it. The challenge is due at the end of the trimester and everyone who completes it will be rewarded.. I haven't decided how yet. The students seem excited about it, and it is one less item I have to check every week. If someone can tell me how to post it on here I can post a copy of what I have sent home.

Thanks!
slazor is offline   Reply With Quote