Help

Sunflower Room

Lucy Caulkins Model/Mini Lessons

>

MrsJoshua

Lucy Caulkins Model/Mini Lessons
Old 09-23-2010, 07:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone have a link or suggestions for mini lessons? We are beginning to use the Lucy Caulkins reading workshop in our school. I am interested in finding a book that pretty much spells out the mini-lessons for me. I need to follow the CONNECT, TEACH, ENGAGE, LINK procedure. Mini-lessons must be no more than 10minutes. Help me!! I am so overwhelmed. BTW- I teach 4th grade!

luv2learn2

There is
Old 09-23-2010, 09:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

an awesome book called Growing Readers by Kathy Collins (but it is based more on 1st grade RW. Another book that follows it pretty closely is Reading with Meaning by Debbie Miller. Also you can look at the Daily 5 stuff By "The Sisters" it's procedures are almost exactly like RW just different Lingo.

LisaV

Reading workshop mini lessons
Old 10-10-2010, 07:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Purchase Lucy's New book for older students

MrsJ

TC training
Old 10-10-2010, 07:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I had training by Teachers' College, and just went over the structure of the mini-lesson with my team. Here's what it is- don't panic! You know what to do, it's just the language that is being used that causes confusion:

Connection- this is the same as activating prior knowledge. Keep it simple- one or two sentences from you with no questions asked of the students. (Eg.- We are learning what good readers do to make sure they are understanding what they read.) That's it. Then tell them what you are going to teach.

Teach- "Today I am going to teach you ______" and tell them the teaching point of the lesson. "Let me show you what I mean/what that looks like," Model the teaching point for them, while you are "thinking out loud" and pointing out what you are doing. "Oh, I just lost focus- I need to reread! Did you notice that I stopped paying attention to the story? Did you see how I went back and reread?" DO NOT call on them to answer questions, or take questions from them THAT is what keeps it MINI and not MAXI. Also, it's important that you use a familiar text- read books during read-aloud time that you can use for mini-lessons so that you only have to read the part that lends itself to the mini-lesson. Reading a whole book during the mini-lesson will put you over the time limit.

Active Engagement- have them practice the skill with a partner right there at the rug while you listen in- give them a couple of minutes, and take note if anybody looks/sounds really lost.

Link- this is simply reminding them what the teaching point is. "Thumbs up if you'll remember to reread if you start to lose the story as you read." Then send them off to do their independent reading; at this point you can either keep the students who needed more support, or go to them first for conferences. This is also the time where you could pull groups to work on specific skills. I tend to do more one-on-one conferencing than small group work, at least until I know them well as readers.

I don't know whether or not you can access the Teachers' College summer institute work online- this is where I first got the mini-lesson structure. And I learned that the secret to keeping it short is to leave out the question/answer part that we are all so used to. It's hard to do, but once you get the hang of it, it feels so good to have all that independent reading time! Hope this was helpful. I am also going to attach some of the summer work I did on reading workshop that you may find helpful. Take a deep breath- you can do this! Baby steps- you'll get there!
Attached Files
File Type: doc Grade 4 Reading-3.doc (336.5 KB, 632 views)

Resa

Reading mini-lesson for Lucy Caulkins RW
Old 02-12-2011, 03:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you for this example. I had the TC writing for 3 years but not the RW. You're right about the question/answer format. It's hard to do! Thanks for the encouragement.

ms.brain

Old 08-08-2011, 10:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Mrs. J, that is such a great link! Do you by any chance have the link for third grade? Thanks!

BlueLupine

Super helpful!
Old 01-23-2012, 08:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Wow, thank you MrsJ for laying it all out like that. I have always wondered why my lessons feel like I am talking forever even though I try to keep it as short as possible. Honestly I still have reservations about not having the benefit of the students hearing each other's questions, but your organization and clarity give me the confidence to try it out and trust that most of them do get it, and I will have time in individual or small group conferences to address any lingering misunderstandings. Even if I have to repeat the answers to some questions, I will be saving time in the long run by not keeping everyone at the rug the whole time.

When I think about it now, it seems like a lot of the questions are repeats, like the students are so focused on their concern that they aren't hearing that it's already been addressed. So I'm guessing I will actually be answering a lot fewer questions in the end.

Thank you!!

Last edited by BlueLupine; 01-23-2012 at 08:51 AM.. Reason: Though of something else