Help

Fourth Grade

4th Grade Trophies Reading Program

>

klawn

4th Grade Trophies Reading Program
Old 09-19-2006, 05:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I need some help setting up my weekly routine using Trophies. I am using the spelling, writing, and grammar portions as well. If anyone can give me an idea of your schedule or routine I would GREATLY appreciate it.

Thanks!

klawn is offline   Reply With Quote

iteach4th

basal...
Old 09-20-2006, 03:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This is my 2nd year using the Trophies series. While I am not an advocate of the basal, my school adopted the series and we have no choice but to use it. I am, however, still trying to add my "old" things that worked into my reading block! I had used the Fountas and Pinnell approach and loved the results I saw each year, so I'm trying hard to do both. Yes, it's overwhelming, and I probably don't spend enough time on the "basal stuff" as I'm supposed to, but......

Here's my usual weekly reading schedule (I'm lucky this year as we have almost 2 and a half hours of uninterrupted time for reading in the mornings. It is heaven!)

Monday: Intro vocab and tested skill/strategy. Listen to or read the story together.
Tuesday - Thursday: guided reading groups (I have 3 - 20 minute rotations. I see my lowest readers each day and the others 2 times)
Friday: Review vocab/skill/story. Assessment of some kind.

Our time goes something like this:
8-8:15 Morning Meeting: I use this time for a mini-lesson about a skill or strategy. I will admit that I don't always do the exact one that goes with the story because I don't care for the progression of the basal's skills. I much prefer Fountas & Pinnell or "Strategies That Work" for teaching comprehension strategies. I do make sure I cover the ones the book chooses, also, just maybe not at the correct time frame. (Don't tell my administrators, please!)
8:15 - 8:40 Independent reading time and journals
8:40 - 10:00 Mondays: Intro story, etc. Otherwise, this is the guided reading section where I rotate 3 times. Friday: review and assess
10:00 - 10:30 Recap and review the day's lessons and do grammar lesson (3 days per week seems to be enough to teach Trophies' grammar).

I'm still trying hard to "get it all in", but many days I feel like there's so much more to do. I still believe my most important goal is to help my students love reading and look forward to it. Hope this helped a bit. Let me know if you have any questions!
iteach4th is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherCarrie

Old 09-20-2006, 04:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Sure, I can even send me actual lesson plan that I use and it shows everything.
But I left my flash drive at work and won't be able to post it right now.
TeacherCarrie is offline   Reply With Quote

AngelCat21

I'm struggling too
Old 09-20-2006, 05:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I too have to use a basal, but would like to take a different approach. I have a 90 min. reading block and struggle to get it all in. However, I don't think I could take longer. My actual classroom teaching time is very little (only about 275 minutes a day- I'm not counting the time the children have lunch/specials/or a bathroom break) and so I can't really extend my reading program. I would love to see some suggestions on how to fit everything in. I use harcourt trophies. My email is leighann612@yahoo.com

Thanks!
AngelCat21 is offline   Reply With Quote

klawn

That would be great!
Old 09-20-2006, 06:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

TeacherCarrie-

I would love to see your lesson plan for Trophies. You can email me at kellyre@aol.com. Thanks a million!

kikiteach

Old 09-21-2006, 03:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I do not have to use the basal and am encouraged to use trade books. As a new teacher, it is hard to come up with everything on my own. Anyway to use the basal and make it more interesting?
kikiteach is offline   Reply With Quote

PEPteach

Harcourt issues
Old 09-21-2006, 05:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I too use Trophies. This is my 2nd year using it. There is a lot to do in the book, but I just don't find many of the activities worthwhile. I feel like a lot of it is worksheet based. I also don't like the repetativeness of it. I think it might jsut be how I use it, but I'm not sure how to use it more effectively. Any more suggestions?
PEPteach is online now   Reply With Quote
ILtch

ILtch

trophies...
Old 09-22-2006, 04:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I, too, would love to hear anyone's additional ideas regarding how to make this series work. Please post about things that are going well and how you're using it in your classroom! How do you schedule your time....shared readings, independent readings, guided readings??? I'd appreciate any new ideas, and I'm sure others who use this basal would, too! THanks!

TEACHERLVNV

Try to stay true to their program.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I know ow you are feeling but Trophies does work just follow the program religiously. A couple years ago we were ordered to do so and despite little support from us (teaching staff ) We made AYP and almost all of our goals.

Last edited by TEACHERLVNV; 09-23-2006 at 01:51 AM..
TEACHERLVNV is offline   Reply With Quote

lov2teach2

I woulld love a lesson plan too!
Old 09-22-2006, 02:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Teacher Carrie would it be alright if you e-mailed a lesson plan to me also. I am very interested in finding out how everyone else does their reading time. kkelley@northdavisprep.org

Thanks,
lov2teach2

lov2teach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jodi4/5

Finally :-)
Old 09-22-2006, 07:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I have been hoping someone would post something about Trophies. I tried a couple of times this summer but no response! Our whole school is struggling, mostly because we did not get materials until right before school started.
I really like the program, since I work with the students 1-1 1/2 years below grade level, my plan is to take approximately 2 weeks to cover each unit. My schedule is:
30 minutes of spelling (we still use Sitton Spelling) and grammar. I have been simply using the Grammar overheads and reviewing skills as a class. We do not have the grammar practice books yet. I also do a bit of journaling at this time
30 minutes of reading main selection, antholgy, etc. and basic skills like filling graphic organizers or practicing fluency
30 minutes of center time. This starts in full next week, so we'll see. I am very lucky to have a foster grandmother, a parent and community volunteer and two title staff during my LA time.
For centers I am using the flip books (we each have 4) and then I will work with 3 students in small groups on guided reading skills and other lessons. I also set up listening lab to hear the guided reader or other stories. We also have laptops that I will use to access the McMillan activities.
We will see how it goes. I was on the committee to pick this series so I am trying to stay positive.
I would LOVE to hear how the program is working for others this year!
Jodi4/5 is offline   Reply With Quote

klawn

Teacher Carrie we are anxiously awaiting :)
Old 09-23-2006, 08:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Teachercarrie-when you have your lessn plan for trophies ready, maybe you could post it for all of us to see! Inquiring minds want to know!!

lisamag

Trophies
Old 09-23-2006, 01:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I have been using Trophies for 4 years. I pick and choose what I do. The spelling and the skills that go with the stories are both good. There is not enough grammar and I don't personally like the writing. I do like the writing samples that the children analyse, though. I have a smartboard in my classroom, so I scan the samples on there for the class to see. I do all of the skill work, vocabulary and spelling on Mon., read and discuss the story on Tues., give a vocab test and do guided reading on Wed., let the children take the test as an open book test on Thurs. along with guided and independant reading, and give them a spelling test and open-ended writing test on Fri. I also use Time For Kids on Fri. in small groups to teach the children how to read non-fiction. Whatever skill Trophies teaches for the week, I reinforce in other literature and writing workshop. I also give extra grammar work. I hope that this helps.
lisamag is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherCarrie

Here it is...
Old 09-24-2006, 08:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Sorry ladies, but I haven't been home long enough to get on the computer or proteacher for several days.

Here is my lesson plan for Harcourt using this upcoming week's story. Page 2 is a format that Harcourt gave to us when we had our first training. The 1st page uses the SIOP format for ELD.

I actually use this format to plan for all subjects and it's so super easy!
Attached Files
File Type: doc Baker's Neighbor.doc (69.0 KB, 1186 views)

TeacherCarrie

Old 09-24-2006, 08:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

This is the 2nd week where we had our students use their open books for the test. Harcourt just now told us this was okay last week and we were so happy to hear the kids could use their books...it made so much sense using it is still comprehension and practicing test taking skills as well (used for state tests).

My kids did so well on this week's test. The vocab. not so much, so I'm not sure. The past 4 weeks, they did very well and I'm lost on why they didn't do well this week.

I enjoy Harcourt a lot. I didn't use the bazzill last year (which was Scott Foresman) b/c I didn't like it and used other resources. But Harcourt is so easy to plan with once you get the routine down (and use the format that I attached above). The kids enjoy it and I loooooove love love the leveled readers that we use from Harcourt. They use the vocabulary that they learn in the main story and the subjects relate well...as well as they relate to the focus skill taught too.

Love it!

Chick

Lesson Plan
Old 09-24-2006, 12:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Thank you for letting us see your plan. I just finished this story, and I want to compare my plans with yours. Yours look great!!!

I have learned you do have to pick and choose activities on some stories, and I was glad to hear some of you do open book tests. I think it is a wonderful idea, since the state test is designed that way too.
Chick is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherCarrie

Old 09-30-2006, 05:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Glad I could help! Almost all our teachers use this format for Harcourt. Our K-3 teachers are Reading First, so they had to come up with something organized and this is what they came up with. They shared it with us 4-5 teachers and I am so glad they did!

lhacker

4th Grade Harcourt Trophies
Old 10-05-2006, 06:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I also use Harcourt Trophies for my 90 min. reading block. I do 30 minutes whole group and meet with 3 groups for 20 minutes daily. I use the intervention reader and the below level reader with my low group. The intervention workbook and intervention teachers guide have some super activities (some are great for the whole class) and the intervention workbook has good fluency practice that teaches "chunking." We also do timed, repeated readings with those groups needing more fluency practice. I use the on and above level readers for the other two groups. Some days we play vocabulary concentration in pairs to practice the vocabulary. My other students work on seatwork (spelling and practice book activities) or go to a rotating center. At centers, my students do spelling practice (stamps, markers, cursive practice on the overhead, etc.), literacy activities (they make books or do projects about previous stories), word study, critical thinking activities, vocabulary activities, listening center and reading blaster on the computer. The center rotations last for at least two weeks so the planning/set up is manageable. I have used this arrangement for the last 5 years and it works really well!
lhacker is offline   Reply With Quote

TopaTeacher

Lesson Plan Question
Old 01-16-2007, 09:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Teacher Carrie - I'm another newcomer to Trophies. I am piloting the program for our school which has (6) fourth grade classrooms. I'm kinda doing my own thing -trying to get in as much of the program as I can. I liked your example plans for "The Baker's Neighbor." Thank you. I am currently beginning "How to Babysit an Orangutan." Would you happen to have those plans readily available? If you do, could you please send a copy of them to me. Also, are you using the Spelling Book? Is that the spelling you are using for the stations, or are they the vocabulary words for the story?
TopaTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Skid4

Harcourt lesson plans
Old 10-10-2007, 03:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Hi, I am just coming across your lesson plans for Harcourt. I also love it but I can't seem to get my co workers to hop on board. Is it possible to have more of your lesson plans. I would hate to reinvent the wheel if it has already been done! jnskidmore@comcast.net

Thanks
Skid4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Struggling

I need some advice
Old 08-24-2008, 11:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I am now teaching 3rd and 4th grade and this is my first year using Trophies. I also have 90 min language art block. We use the intervention and PB intervention books as well. I have been looking for books to make connection to each story that we've read. My students are losing interest. We also do the whole group directions and stories and we break up into 5 groups. I have come into a lot of conflict with the combo class. I tried to break up my groups into center but admin has this thing about "DRILL and KILL" so my students attention always needs to be redirected. Is there any suggestion on what other center can be used. I just started a Phonemic awareness center. Its just caos!!!
Struggling is offline   Reply With Quote

supr4th

LOVE your harcourt lessons
Old 10-23-2008, 02:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Hello,
I am a 4th grade teacher in Missouri who has been using Harcourt for 8 years. We did not have the training, and I am still struggling with lesson planning and making this work. I do like the book.

TeacherCarrie, I was wondering if you have all the stories lesson plans planned out on the form like the Baker's Neighbor, and if you do, are you willing to share those attachments.

I am new to 4th grade. I have spend the last 10 years in 3rd, 6th, and preschool, so I am overwhelmed with yet again, a new curriculum.

If you are willing to share I would be forever grateful!

mnewman@albany.k12.mo.us

Last edited by supr4th; 10-23-2008 at 02:22 PM.. Reason: added name
supr4th is offline   Reply With Quote
Trophie

Trophie

Old 10-23-2008, 10:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I have lesson plans for the 4th grade for all the stories but it isnt as detailed as the bakers neighbor template on here. We do a lot of reading responses to go with each story. I can email them to . Here in hawaii we are on lotus notes.
Let me know

supr4th

Trophies
Old 10-24-2008, 08:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

the lessons would be great to have. I can get word documents, or pdf and rich text. Send them anyway you can and I will convert the files when I get them. Thanks for the help. Wow, Hawaii, we just turned out boilers on in Missouri.

Thanks a bunch!!
supr4th is offline   Reply With Quote

Quartknee83

harcourt lesson plans
Old 07-27-2009, 08:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

Teacher Carrie,

Would you be willing to share other lesson plans for Harcourt Trophies?

Courtney
Quartknee83 is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherRH

Trophies lesson plan
Old 09-02-2009, 04:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

Teacher Carrie,

Your format is great? I was just wondering when you give the story test.
teacherRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Beth H4

Beth H4

Looking for lesson plan examples
Old 09-12-2009, 02:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

Hello. This year is my first year in 4th grade after 5 years in 1st grade. I'm looking for examples of how other teachers using Trophies set up their lesson plans. I'm finding it hard to budget my time to cover all the focus skills, grammar, writing, spelling and fit in some quality silent reading. If you found a format or system that is working, I'd like to hear about it or see it. My email is bhesselbacher@stjosephfort.org. Thank you so much.

Jones Girl

Struggling Teacher
Old 12-01-2009, 02:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

I also am new to the fourth grade Harcourt. I would also like to know if you have the other lesson. I would appreciate the format. I am struggling to find a way to make lesson plans. If you would not mind sharing your lesson plans for the stories. I am currently working on Sarah, Plain, and Tall. My email address is mpfreeman@bladen.k12.nc.us

Last edited by Jones Girl; 12-01-2009 at 02:47 AM.. Reason: e-mail address
Jones Girl is offline   Reply With Quote

Pengwin182

Trophies lesson plans
Old 01-04-2010, 06:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

TeacherCarrie -- Would you be willing to share your 4th grade lesson plans with me? This is my first year teaching and I am just overwhelmed with the amount of material the manual expects me to cover in a week! I noticed that several people said they pick and choose what they do. What are the stories/materials that everyone covers?
Pengwin182 is offline   Reply With Quote

kankan

TeacherCarrie
Old 04-02-2010, 05:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

Need help....would love to see your lesson plans for trophies. Thanks a bunch.. khornung@cimarronschools.net
kankan is offline   Reply With Quote

kankan

Old 04-21-2010, 06:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

Did you get any lesson plans for Trophies from teachercarrie? would you like to share? I have not had a reply Thanks
kankan is offline   Reply With Quote

love67

me too!
Old 07-08-2011, 03:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

Please send me a copy as well. janety28221#yahoo
love67 is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsbsbees

Old 07-09-2011, 01:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

Hello!

I am a brand new 4th grade teacher. This is my very first year teaching. There is a lot of information in the Trophies books. I was also wondering if teachercarrie would post all of the lesson plans because I also love the format she used.

I was also wondering what you do to teach writing. Do you use what the trophies has or do you come up with something else. I will have 1 hours to teacher reading, writing, grammar and spelling. I am worried that I will not have enough time because I would also like to incorporate small reading groups too. Any ideas?

my email is bbonafield918#yahoo.com

Thanks
mrsbsbees is offline   Reply With Quote

love67

harcourt
Old 08-06-2011, 04:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #34

Are you doing everything it says to do in the book?
love67 is offline   Reply With Quote

MakitFABulous

Trophie
Old 09-11-2011, 04:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #35

Did you still have all of the 4th grade stories... if you could you please send them to me?
Thanks
lbkharper#gmail.com
MakitFABulous is offline   Reply With Quote

teach 4 today

4th grade Trophies
Old 03-11-2012, 01:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #36

I would also love the 4th grade lesson plans for Trophies!!!! kckmfrazier#cox.net
teach 4 today is offline   Reply With Quote