Help

Fourth Grade

Scott Foresman Reading Book HELP!

>

Sun

Scott Foresman Reading Book HELP!
Old 09-30-2008, 04:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I started this year the Scott Foresman Reading and wanted to know what story is everyone on at this time. I want to make sure I am not going too slow or too fast.
Also, how is everyone planning out each week. The way the book is structured it is so hard to do the story in one week. The way I am doing it is just as the book says. Mon we go over all the strategies, vocabulary words...et. Tues and Wed we read the story Thursday we read the story at the end and Friday we take the spelling, grammar and selection test. How is everyone else doing it?
One more thing, How are you in addition incorporating the leveled readers?? I don't find the time!! Please help.

Sun is offline   Reply With Quote

luvinlife

Old 09-30-2008, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have been in school since August 13th, and I am on the story "What Jo Did". We just finished unit 1. Here is basically the way my plans go for each week:
Monday- Introduce vocabulary and comprehension skill with powerpoint from second website linked below. Students listen to the story and follow along in their books.
Tuesday - Read the story aloud and stop to ask comprehension questions. Discuss and practice using the skill with the weekly story.
Wednesday - Buddy read the story aloud, and discuss questions at the end of the story with buddies. Complete practice book pages *7-*8 to review the skill. We do the *7 page together and students do the *8 page independently. Spelling Test, I do the spelling tests from Wednesday to Wednesday because it gives the kiddos more time to study, and ends some of the craziness on Friday.
HOMEWORK: Reread the story at home for reading log.
Thursday- Selection Test
Friday - Open Response practice of skill, review of skill with other resources, pull in workbook pages about other pertinent skills.

*** Please remember that it is IMPOSSIBLE to incorporate everything in the book with the students. You have to pick and choose the things that are the most appropriate for your students, school and curriculum!!!!

Helpful Links:
http://www.pearsonsuccessnet.com/snpapp/iText/products/0-328-27456-9/index.html - This website is the reading teacher's guide online, it is very handy for printing out spelling and practice book pages.
http://classroom.jc-schools.net/waltkek/fourthgrade.html - This website is AWESOME! It has powerpoints for every story, games for every spelling list, etc! So many resources I couldn't name them all!
luvinlife is offline   Reply With Quote

dancersmoon

I started SF the week before you
Old 09-30-2008, 05:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We are on the story “Coyote School News." Actually, my sub and the students are on that story, I am on a trip with my hubby to KY.
dancersmoon is offline   Reply With Quote

dancersmoon

Our Schedule
Old 09-30-2008, 05:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Monday Voc, spelling, question of week, use powerpoint, read leveled readers, group green, yellow, blue. I meet with each group 15 min.

Tuesday Skills, more voc., practice book, begin selection, meet with each group 15 min.

Wednesday Skills, more voc., practice book, end selection, ask review questions, meet with each group 15 min.

Thursday selection test - use computer to take test, we also take or work on science skills at this time because this is the only time we get the lap tops each week.

Friday Fresh reads, skills, complete practice book, end leveled reader, spelling test, meet with each group 15 min.

We also do intervention with the children 30 min each day. I take the high group and teach about genre, working together in lit circles, working independently to complete different kinds of book reports, reflections, models, etc. Creative and academic, or at least we try~

We have 120 min to do all of this plus I have another 45 min to do grammar.
dancersmoon is offline   Reply With Quote

lwc4

Late Start
Old 09-30-2008, 05:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We didn't start school until after labor Day. I just finished the second story in Unit 1 - Lewis and Clark and Me. It takes me about 2 weeks to do a story but that includes the leveled reader too. This is my second year with this series and I have changed quite a bit from last year. I pick and choose grammer sheets and skill pages, depending on how the kids do and whether I feel it needs to be mastered. I try and incorporate the writing skills into all parts of the reading. I have the students read the story silently and then we listen to the audio CD and I pause and ask the comprehension questions. I also make sure I go over any of the details that they will be tested on (I think some questions are very picky and have rewritten some the tests). I did the spelling last year but changed to a spelling program I came up with over the summer that focuses on frequently misspelled words in 4th grade. I also choose one story in each unit for the students to do a project with rather than all of the other skills. The first year was hard to figure out what to do because it was so extensive. This year is much easier. ( We group for reading and I have the "top" group. The other groups go a little slower and choose their materials a little differently than I do) Hope this helps and sorry so long!

lwc4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teach/Learn

Too much to do in one week
Old 09-30-2008, 05:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thank you to everyone for all the info. This is my second year with Reading Street. It is a little easier this year-I have a hard time not doing everything the Practice books have for the students, BUT you can't do it all in one week and if you take longer than one week per story you won't get through the text by years end. I add the fresh reads to the selection test (I love the selection test on line) sometimes.
Teach/Learn is offline   Reply With Quote

momof4gr8kdz

1st year
Old 10-01-2008, 06:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

This is my 1st year in 4th and our 1st with Reading Street. We do 1 story per week. My schedule is close to the others mentioned above. We do the leveled readers during small group on Monday, unless the story is very long and hard then I will spend 3 days on the story. I never get to all the practice book pages either. I have started using the Fresh Read passages as a center because I really like those. We will test on Grace and The Time Machine tomorrow.
momof4gr8kdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Cometgirl

Cometgirl

6th grade teacher
Old 06-19-2009, 08:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Where did you find the selection tests online? We had a rep show us how to use the pearsonsuccess.net but I can't find the selection tests. Can you help me out?
Newbie2

Newbie2

on-line selection tests for Reading Streets 4
Old 09-20-2009, 05:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

How do you access the selection tests on-line. thanks

2kiddies

Old 09-21-2009, 03:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Go to www.pearsonsuccessnet.com

You have to enter your students under "Manage Classes"

Then assign your test under "Manage Assignments"

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

2kiddies is offline   Reply With Quote

2kiddies

Old 09-21-2009, 03:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

When you are done giving the selection test, go to "View Reports."
2kiddies is offline   Reply With Quote
Newbie2

Newbie2

Old 10-27-2009, 04:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

What do you know about using ExamVu? I'm not sure what it is for. Thank you for the info on the selection tests!!!
4thgradewiz

4thgradewiz

Online practice book?
Old 08-01-2012, 10:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I teach 4th grade and I was wondering if there was a practice book online. I assign homework every now and then from the book but most of the students forget to take the book home. Please let me know asap.