Help

The VENT

Didn't think this through

>

all41

Didn't think this through
Old 08-25-2017, 02:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a student who goes from sweet to ticked off in 3 seconds flat. When he gets mad whatever is in his hands and/or near him gets thrown, sometimes at me, sometimes at the wall. This is in his IEP and noted on behavior plan.

So, SPED teacher gave him a hard plastic pencil sharpener shaped like a football and the size of a tennis ball as a reward today.

I did mention to her, in a joking tone to not put her on edge, that this is probably not the best type of reward for this kid and that maybe something made of soft materials so it won't hurt so bad when I get hit with it would be a better reward. And what really pissed me off.... She giggled and told me to duck!!!

all41 is offline   Reply With Quote

whipsnake

Old 08-25-2017, 02:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Any object thrown at you should be taken from the child and not returned until the child can associate his actions with consequences. Then you can take said sharpener and have last laugh.
whipsnake is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 08-25-2017, 03:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You are absolutely right whipsnake. When/if it is thrown, it becomes mine. This really bugs me since I've had to rearrange my room to accommodate. I can have nothing out on my counter, all materials usually kept in students desk are now in bins. Essentially I tried to keep things out of range. Then he gets these items as rewards. I just don't get it.

Maybe I'm making a bigger deal of this than it really is, but this teacher is not the one dealing with the possibility of getting it thrown at her. Thank gosh it's Friday - I sent the toy home in the kids backpack so hopefully it won't make it back to school on Monday.

PrivateEyes

And...
Old 08-25-2017, 03:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

it's time for a less subtle discussion with the SPED teacher about appropriate rewards. Items in general should be avoided, because items can be thrown. Objects in the shape of throwing things should definitely not be rewards. And hard things should not be rewards.

You might point out that if a child were hurt by an item she provided him, she might be blamed, since the IEP clearly notes his penchant for throwing things.
PrivateEyes is online now   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 08-25-2017, 03:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Quote:
I sent the toy home in the kids backpack so hopefully it won't make it back to school on Monday.
Good call! Your coworker is insensitive.

Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 08-25-2017, 03:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Objects in the shape of throwing things should definitely not be rewards.

This exactly!!

hiker1

Old 08-25-2017, 05:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

That is a ridiculous reward. What you should do is give her an equally insensitive reward to take back to her sped class.
hiker1 is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 08-25-2017, 06:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I'm going to play devil's advocate and say maybe she made that comment to cover up the fact that she was embarrassed that she didn't think about the fact that the reward could be used as a weapon. And, instead of owning up to it, she tried to cover it up.

Sending it home was the perfect solution for everyone involved.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Anon007

Anon007

That's
Old 08-26-2017, 03:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

ridicoulous! I would have apologized to you profusely. Make sure she understands this is not a sugestion. Apparently she has no common sense. From now on, she is to be the buffer between the child you and others. She is completely responsible for whatever is done with the reward. She is aware of his accommodation and needs. How is she going to duck the lawsuit when this child throws that pencil in a students eye and damaged their eyesight. What a dum$ a&&. In you own interest, you need to document this. It's a shame teachers have to work in this conditions!