The VENT

Feeling wounded and worried

>

dfweupwjawej

dfweupwjawej

Feeling wounded and worried
Old 08-25-2017, 01:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Member signed out for privacy. This is a vent, not a request for advice. I moved to a new school this year, and I'm already thinking this won't work out, to the point that I'm worried that I may have trouble finishing the year. This looks like a clash of style. I want/need to be organized. I need information about the school procedures to operate efficiently and effectively, and I strive for a clear direction and focus for units and lessons. My teammates are very loose with planning and less-than-forthcoming with information. I have asked many questions about how things work at the school and in our grade, only to be told that "you'll find out" or "we'll tell you later." Today they gave me the "unit" we start teaching Monday. There's no unit, just a collection of miscellaneous stuff in several files and Google drives. It doesn't align with standards, and there are so many varied topics that the students would be truly confused if we threw all of that to them. So now I have to write a unit over the weekend to help myself get organized.

Then after school today, I was called in for a "how are you doing" chat with my team leader and her supervisor. It quickly became apparent that I was being talked to because I have spoken to our grade level as a whole (not just my class). This is confusing, so I'll try to explain. During whole-grade activities, one teacher will say something to the students, then another will give directions, then a third will have the students line up, and so on. It's like class management by committee, with no clear leader and everyone contributing to the process. So it didn't occur to me that I wasn't supposed to say anything. But apparently I have stepped on the other teachers' toes on at least two occasions by speaking up during grade-level activities. Once I gave directions to the students; another time, I asked a question of the students as part of a discussion. It was made clear that what I do in my classroom is my business, but I shouldn't say anything to the grade level as a whole--I should let the other teachers do all the talking when we're gathered as a team. Then my team leader and her supervisor told me that they're thrilled that I'm there and how much I bring to the table and how smart I am.

I'm confused because I'm getting so many mixed messages. I'm a member of the team, except I'm not an equal member. I have a lot to offer, but I shouldn't offer it because it offends others. I'm supposed to teach my students and manage my classroom, but I'm not being given any of the info I need or was told I would get. I really have said little so far, but I certainly will keep my mouth shut from now on. I don't know how well I can do my job in this situation. I have cried over this job more than any other I've ever had, and I'm exhausted after this week. It has taken me an hour to write this post. I just don't know how things are going to work out. Just praying I can make it successfully to the end of the year and hoping I can find another job for next year. Thanks for the opportunity to vent.

eagles23

Old 08-25-2017, 02:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am so sorry that things are not going as you expected. I hope you can find some kind of balance with your new team. Not really advice, but when you have just your class, shut your door and do your thing!
eagles23 is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 08-25-2017, 02:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It's a good thing you don't want advice because all I can say is close your job and teach the way you want and get your resume ready.

I'm sorry.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Unit to Write
Old 08-25-2017, 02:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I don't know what kind of unit you are going to write this weekend, but I would make it so wonderful that the other teachers and students will envy your classroom!! Then they will be asking you for input!

Not being appreciated sucks...not being warmly welcomed sucks...

Be sure if you need help with your unit, you head for the busy board so others at PT can help you make it the best unit ever!
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

whipsnake

Old 08-25-2017, 03:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

The teach-by-committee idea is lame. Not having a say is punitive and demoralizing. I'd be more upset with the latter; but I'd be miserable having to endure the former.

Until things sort themselves out, I suggest that you smile, nod, keep your head down, and think of an exit strategy. It's always good to know that there is a way out, and that you are not confined for a whole year to demeaning treatment. These folks cannot communicate clearly. They are also mean and controlling. Get your resume updated and prepared, and see if the climate changes. Seems like they like you, but that you are regarded as a child with no distinct voice of your own. Hang in there.

whipsnake is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Perfect advice"
Old 08-25-2017, 03:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
Until things sort themselves out, I suggest that you smile, nod, keep your head down, and think of an exit strategy.
This is great advice.

The good news from this meeting with your team leader is you know what your role is in group instruction times. Keep quiet and smile.

Quietly form your own instruction for your classroom, shut the door and teach in the organized way you require. It won't be long before they see that your teaching style is efficient and effective. It stinks to feel like you're on your own but you'll be OK. You have experience.

Practice good self care while you get used to this new school.
Renea is online now   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 08-25-2017, 04:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

So sorry you have had these experiences. It is hard enough to switch to a new school and learn a new culture, and now you are dealing with a group of mean people on top of it. It stinks being the new person.

I agree with others advise, keep your head down, shut your door and be the best darn teacher you can be. Hopefully your situation gets better as the year progresses. If not you have the option of moving on if need be.
all41 is offline   Reply With Quote

sisterwoman

Old 08-25-2017, 04:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

You have been given great advice! Follow along with the expectations when working with the team. Then do what you feel is best in your classroom. If you look for another job, you want to have a good recommendation. It crossed my mind that you don't know what has been said to your team about you - maybe the admin sang your praises and the team members are jealous. Regardless, results are what others notice so express your value in the growth made by your students! I wish you all the best in a really difficult sutuation. I just remembered that you were not looking for advice. Oops!
sisterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

No advice
Old 08-25-2017, 08:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

just a hug and condolences for what will likely continue to be a difficult year. I can't imagine how I'd be able to handle such a situation.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Anon005

Anon005

Welcome
Old 08-26-2017, 03:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

to my world where everything seems right but it is actually wrong. I could have written your post myself. You are receiving mix messages and feel confused, close your eyes, take a deep breath and follow your gut.
I don't think there is a plan with clear expectations anymore only dishonesty. Every teacher is on their own and willing to throw you under the bus.

Hopefully you and I can finish the year and move on. Me, however, I personally don't see how I can last this long. How long can you continue to act dumb, smile, and abide when you are asked to be dishonest with grades, attendance and so on? How long can you allow the clique of abusive teacher to use your stuff without asking or telling you or talk about you and passive aggressively pretend they like you? How long can you pretend that you are in the team? I could continue with the how long

guest11111222

guest11111222

been there done that
Old 08-26-2017, 08:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Hugs and I've been through something similar.

Take it from me, it's going to be tough at times but you'll be wiser for what you are about to go through.

It's the same old tired power/control issues in play when we need to just focus on the kids and be supportive of one another.

TeacherPK6

Old 08-26-2017, 09:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I'm so sorry you're going through such a rough time. I hope things improve for you.
TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 08-26-2017, 11:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I'm sorry you are unhappy and hope things improve for you. I agree with others who suggested you close the door to your classroom and be a great teacher to your own class.
ZipLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Ggddcvjjkmnh

Ggddcvjjkmnh

Schools failing
Old 08-27-2017, 05:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

There's a reason certain schools are failing. Unfortunately, I'm going to guess if this disorganization keeps up and belittling of new staff they will be in a sinking boat before long, if they aren't already. There's a reason fewer teachers are coming out of colleges in recent years. Keep your door shut, teach your heart out, and let the results shine in your students' gains. Maybe they'll figure out they don't have their ducks in a row and you can become a leader for them.

Lakeside

Old 08-27-2017, 10:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Quote:
Practice good self care while you get used to this new school.
This.

And a hug.

Change is hard enough. Change without decent instructions sucks! But it will get easier. You'll figure some stuff out - but mostly, you'll come to know and love the kids, and that will make your days brighter.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote