Help

The VENT

Para nightmare

>

beacon

Para nightmare
Old 08-28-2017, 03:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We have a paraeducator that has been on staff a while - sort of a right hand man to the principal. Found out this summer from a coworker that she goes to the principal behind teacher's back to report classroom incidents that are a) very minor and teacher responsibility, not hers or b) incidents she does not have all the facts or walks in on. Additionally, she routinely comments during instruction in class, passes out homemade "stress" balls and spinners to students that may or may not be on a plan - uses her own opinion. Several teachers tolerate her in their rooms because she is only there for a period at a time. How can I curb her impulsive, assertive interference while she is in my class this year. She has already informed me that she has a new collection of stress toys and spinners for students this year.

beacon is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

makes for a hot mess
Old 08-28-2017, 05:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Not to sound the alarm but is it possible that this person is queuing up for a teacher's job? I wonder where this person got the $ for these things. I think you know what to do or not.
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

Dubbamom

Document her visits
Old 08-28-2017, 05:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Just in case your P questions you about something that the para saw so that you can address it and "squash" it quickly.

If she comes in with spinners or other "toys" , have the class thank her, give them a limited time to "play" with them, then have them put them in their backpacks to take home or collect them to be used at another time upon your discretion.

Ugh! What a position to put you in! Good luck!
Dubbamom is offline   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Sit down w/her and tell her your expectations
Old 08-28-2017, 07:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Not sure about the training and guidance paras receive in your district, but it sounds as if this para either was not adequately trained for her position or has bucked her training for some reason. Since you know she's been a problem in other classrooms, I would suggest sitting down with her before she starts in yours to discuss your expectations and how you see her working with you and the students. There is nothing wrong with that and being proactive will save you getting frustrated with her and then reacting. I'd be very specific what your thinking is about the items she's already told you about. You may have to repeat your expectations from time to time as she may be pretty hard headed. If she falls under the direction of a SPED teacher, don't be hesitant to use them as resource for help.

Good luck!
ZipLine is online now   Reply With Quote