The VENT

Interruptions

>

Yeah!

Yeah!

Interruptions
Old 08-29-2017, 07:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Why do other staff- -adults - in the building think it's okay to walk into your classroom and after seeing that you are in the middle of teaching a lesson and you are on task with your job and the students are engaged in the learning under your leadership and your lesson is successfully working; why do these adults think they can interrupt you so they can talk to you about issues that could wait until a break or after school?

In one lesson today, I had three other teachers and a speech lady come into my room to demand a meeting with me right there and now - while I was teaching kindergarten students. I had the students on task and engaged. For the first few days of school that is HARD work!! Darn it!

None of the information that these rude adults wanted to share with me had to be shared with me immediately. The sharing of information could have waited until one of my break or after dismissal. In fact, all the information could have been shared in an email.

We expect parents to call in advance and arrange a conference time when they want to met with us! Teachers on my building need to respect each other and do the same.

A fun, engaging kindergarten learning activity/lesson was destroyed. I spent time preparing it. I spent my own personal time to prepare it. By the time the third person walked into my classroom and interruped our learning fun, the students' attention span decreased, some students became frustrated because they had to wait until the "adults" finished talking, and a well planned lesson flopped.

I became irritated and a little short with the adults who just loved to hear themselves talk, and these adults continued to repeating their ideas as to how we should do this or that to me . . . when at that moment, I did not give a crap and just wanted them out of my room so I could maintain order and control of my lesson. When I asked if this could be discussed at another time, these adults said okay but they immediatell brought up other issues like their new issues some how would be okay to be shared with me at this time.

People! For crying outloud. . . nothing was that important to interrupt your peers - our coworkers. Leave each others alone and let us teach. Go to your room and use your prep time to improve your lessons and maybe send a quick email asking your co workers when it would be a good time to share your ideas with them. And wait for a response. If you enter my room, either help co-teach my lesson, sit in a corner and quietly observe, or get out, but don't stop my lesson because you need my 100 percent attention. Grrrrrrrrr!

Okay I vented. I feel better.

TeacherPK6

Old 08-30-2017, 02:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Quote:
We expect parents to call in advance and arrange a conference time when they want to met with us! Teachers on my building need to respect each other and do the same.
Agreed. I'm sorry you have people who aren't respecting your teaching time.
TeacherPK6 is online now   Reply With Quote

whipsnake

Old 08-30-2017, 03:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Unfortunately, administration often believes that their concerns supersede any other. It's a combination of arrogance, disrespect, stupidity, and inexperience in having taught for any appreciable length of service. Did I mention stupidity? Hang in there. You may want to tactfully express your displeasure face to face.
whipsnake is offline   Reply With Quote

h0kie

Interruptions
Old 08-30-2017, 03:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My mother (a teacher for 36 years) taught me that you never interrupt someone while they're teaching. Never. I've learned not everyone got that memo. It's definitely frustrating.
h0kie is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

doors & signs
Old 08-30-2017, 03:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

If you can afford to do so, keep your doors closed and locked. To minimize distractions, if you got one of those doors with windows, put something over it with a sign that says "Do not disturb please" especially when there's testing. Does your classroom have a door? I know that some people work in open-concept places. I'm sorry that these colleague of yours are insensitive and feel entitled. Their rudeness is unacceptable.

Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

UniversalDes

As an Admin this is what I would have done
Old 08-30-2017, 07:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

So I have experience as a Literacy Coach but I have gone to see lessons of other teachers. I quietly sneak in...I don't say a word because I want the kids to be engaged and on task. I check to make sure plans are where I can see them data is displayed but nine times out of ten I'm there to support you if you need it. I want to cause as little distraction as I can so that way the kids can get the information. If I see a way for you to improve, I always leave a little note. If you want me to help you with data, I'll wait till your planning or when your schedule provides it.

I got so annoyed when admins did the same thing to me and interrupted my lessons right then and there. It bothered me to the point that I vowed, I would not interrupt a teacher unless it absolutely called for it and that so far has been never.

Sorry that this happened to you!!

-UD
UniversalDes is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 08-30-2017, 09:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I'm sorry that happened to you - I've never had another teacher or admin interrupt my lesson unless it truly was important! The secretary on the other hand... she'll call at any inconvenient time to tell me that I put the wrong code on the attendance folder or something stupid like that. It's amazing how rude people can be!
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mshope

You Handled This Expertly
Old 08-30-2017, 02:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Really, most people in my school would not do this. We do pop in and see if the other teacher is teaching. Sometimes if someone is sitting at their desk and students are working, I would say, "Do you have a minute?" If it is, fine. However, I think it is fine to say, "No, I have to go over this. I'll stop by your room after school." I think in secondary, the students are more independent. I can't imagine them interrupting your KG room. Middle schoolers love to have a minute or two to talk, but kinders? They should really know better.

When I'm directly teaching, teachers will pop in and then say, "You're busy. It can wait" or "Sorry, I just have a quick question." I can't imagine anyone get barreling in like you described. How would they like it if you did that to them?
Mshope is offline   Reply With Quote

seenthelight

Old 08-30-2017, 03:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I feel your pain. For me it always comes back to the saying that a lack of planning on your part does not equal an emergency on mine, and unless it's an emergency, you should not be interrupting.
seenthelight is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

teachers
Old 08-30-2017, 05:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Wow! That doesn't happen at my school. They rarely even make announcements because our P is so determined not to interrupt unless absolutely necessary. Teachers will peek their head in my room and slip back out if they see me teaching. Then I just ask them later what they needed.

I think I'd find a tactful way to make them wait..... and wait..... and wait. Eventually, they'll get tired of waiting and hopefully get the message that you're not going to stop your lesson for them. When they ask about it later (and they will, if they're that rude to do it to begin with), just tell them you're sorry but your class was engaged and you didn't want to lose the momentum. Tell them to just email you or grab you during your planning time next time so they don't waste their time waiting for you.

SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote