Help

The VENT

probably no answer but need to vent

>

sonoma

probably no answer but need to vent
Old 08-28-2017, 07:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Just got off the phone with dd. She is upset because she cannot get into her parking space.

This happens frequently. She pays extra for an assigned space in the gated lot of her building. She lives in a very congested area & there is no street parking.

The problem is the manager allows her adult children to park behind the other cars. They wait until later in the evening and move the cars in the morning so they think it is ok. But not everyone works 9-5. My dd rarely gets home before 9 pm and often it is much later.

The manager refuses to answer any knocks on the door after business hours. When she is asked about the cars during the day she claims that she does not know who it is - it must be someone visiting. But everyone knows the cars belong to her kids.

The police will not tow on private property unless they have the manager's permission and she certainly is not going to give it.

sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

TheTrunch

I'll grasp at some straws
Old 08-28-2017, 08:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Has your dd tried leaving notes on the offender's cars letting them know?

I'd take photos of the vehicle and the license plates.

I'd find out who the owner of the apartment is (can be done through city/county records) and contact the owner with the reoccurring problem and ask if he can come up with a solution that allows towing without the manager's approval. Def contact the owner since the manager doesn't care.

I would suggest the owner place Tow Away signs on the property and give each paid renter a receipt to show the police when they are called.
TheTrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Eunicb

Eunicb

Parking problems
Old 08-28-2017, 08:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Your daughter should park behind the car that is blocking her parking stall. The owner will have to come and get your daughter to move her car and she can find out who they are.

travelingfar

Parking
Old 08-29-2017, 02:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

You or your daughter should call the owner of the apartment building. The manager is breaking the rules on an ongoing basis, and it is having a bad effect on the residents.

This is an appalling situation, and I'm sorry your daughter has to deal with it.
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Parking
Old 08-29-2017, 03:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We have two sets of garages plus lot parking here. The lease agreement states nopalrong in front of garages, but for several months, I would come home unable to park on my garage, bc some ding dong had parked in front of it.
The cars were towed. That's what should be happening, so I agree with the PPs. Find out or contact whoever owns the building and tel then it's happening. They could be losing rental income due to things like that - I would sure have a hard time continuing to live somewhere like that! My home, even if it's borrowed, should be safe and comfortable.

Last edited by MissESL; 08-29-2017 at 04:08 AM..
MissESL is online now   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 08-29-2017, 04:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I was going to suggest calling th owner/rental company. The manager is breaking the rules and also the lease, which is a legally binding document. Your DD could sue for the days she was unable to park since she paid for it.

Also, take pics and document the days it's happening.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

Renea

Great parking advice.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

You've received great advice.
Take photos of the offenders.
*Notify the apt manager by regestered return receipt requested mail. In the letters include time/date stamped photos of offending cars. Add to the letter that your next step is notifying the building owners about the manger's contract violations. *Repeat weekly for three weeks
*Call and email the owners including copies of the letters sent to the manager and the signed receipts of delivery.
*Consider finding the apartment complex's or owner's corporation FB page and post your complaints publicly.
*Consider posting in the complex's public areas (Lobby, laundry room, community room, elevators etc.) photos of the cars illegally parked.
Be a very squeaky wheel.

I understand why your DD would be furious that she's unable to find parking after a long day at work.
Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tawaki

You got good advice...
Old 08-29-2017, 06:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My place just started the preferred parking nonsense to make more money. You pay $10/month for a car sticker and a sign pole with your sticker number.

Where it is getting bad is on weekends when company comes over and parks anywhere.

People are getting their tires slashed if you park in those spots. This isn't even the hood.

I would give your DD the advice you received here. That manager is a piece of work.
Tawaki is offline   Reply With Quote

ThatDiva

Read the Lease/Parking Agreement
Old 08-29-2017, 12:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

In our lease, we were assigned a parking spot. If someone parked there, we were allowed to call the tow truck company. Since the tow company had a contract with the complex, they had their numbers posted in various areas on the grounds in case of a tow. All that we had to do was show proof that the spot belonged to me. I called a few times. Word got around, and eventually it stopped. I don't park in anyone else's spot so I expect the same in return.
ThatDiva is offline   Reply With Quote

elspeech

Old 08-29-2017, 02:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Totally agree with others. Contact the owner. If you take pictures of the offending vehicles, also include the license plate, so they can't say it is not their car, but one that looks like it.

You mention that the manager doesn't answer the door outside of business hours. Does she take phone calls? I would think this is also something the owners would want to know about. She is being paid to manage the building, including any emergencies that happen outside of business hours. If she is making herself unavailable, how are tenants to get help if they need it?

elspeech is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Renting stinks
Old 08-30-2017, 07:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

When you live in an area where there are no vacant apartments & many people trying to rent you have to put up with things that people in other communities would never tolerate. The landlord would love for my dd to move out because he can raise the rent significantly for a new tenant.

She took pictures & is going to talk with the fire marshal to see if they can do something about it. This is an area where people routinely park in driveways & red zones and deal with multiple tickets because there is no place to park.

Police have more urgent matters to deal with & no towing unless you have the secret code word.

My fear is that her car will get vandalized in retaliation. It is a small lot and it would be easy to figure out which car reported them.

Manager pretends not to understand English when dd talks to her.

Best solution is moving but she cannot find another apartment with parking that she can afford.

I have a big house with empty rooms but we tried that and the commute (2 hrs each way) was unbearable.
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tawaki

I hear you!
Old 08-30-2017, 10:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

We have a high end slum lord manager too. He/she does the absolute bare minimum. I'm still waiting on a maintenance order.

Reason I say high end slum lord is the place has a 98% occupancy rate, and two bedrooms are going over $1,000 for new tenants. It is almost the cheapest place to rent apartment wise in my area.
Tawaki is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

apt
Old 08-30-2017, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Quote:
My fear is that her car will get vandalized in retaliation. It is a small lot and it would be easy to figure out which car reported them.
This is my thought, too. While I do think all the advice was wonderful, I'd be too afraid it would cost her more than her extra payment.

If she's not getting her assigned space anyway, can she quit paying for it? I know she wants the space, but at least she's not losing money on top of not having a place to park.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote