Help

The VENT

PD with Chatty Cathies

>

anna

PD with Chatty Cathies
Old 08-30-2017, 08:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

...stuck in reading pd and some adult chatty cathies are sitting on my left. Then there are the district admin chatting in the back...ugghhh.... thanks for reading and listening to my rare vent post

anna is online now   Reply With Quote

spedder1

Annoying!
Old 08-30-2017, 11:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I presented two PDs to paraprofessionals a couple of weeks ago. The morning presentation went well. The afternoon, not so much. The material was more geared toward teachers. Also, the afternoon group was a lot more unengaged. I couldn't get them to participate at all. There were two women who were laughing hysterically through part of it. I finally went and stood next to them. They stopped. PD is rarely fun, but at least it can be tolerable if everyone does their part. It's frustrating that teachers, who hate chatty cathies in their classrooms, feel it's okay to talk during PD. So glad I don't have to do PD as a retired person to renew my license.

Kathy
spedder1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Chatty Cathies... biggest irritation
Old 08-30-2017, 12:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Cahtty Cathies are my biggest pet peeve.

I have been to a state wide professional meeting for the past three years. I am unfortunately placed at a table with teachers from my area. One of them talks out loud during every presentation. I've already decided that this year I'm telling her to "shhhhhhush" accompanied with the gesture and my most disgruntled face. If she continues, I'll ask her to leave. She's so disgustingly insensitive.

I feel you pain because you're unable to let administrators know how rude they are being. They would have a hissy fit if folks talked during their presentations.

Go home and have a glass of wine in honor of your patience today.
Renea is online now   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 08-30-2017, 01:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I've always thought that was so rude. Anyone who has ever had to present knows it's nerve wracking enough without disrespectful people.
annie_g is online now   Reply With Quote

Mshope

Rude
Old 08-30-2017, 01:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

There is one person in my grade level whom I refuse to sit by in any meeting or PD. She tends to mumble responses to the person speaking. Then, she will turn and stage whisper comments to anyone around her. It is extremely distracting. I have been the presenter and I like to listen (or appear to listen) politely. With this person in the area, it is impossible.

We had an assembly on Monday and she ended up sitting behind me. She didn't have a class at the time. I'm sitting with my class and she was lending over complaining about our principal in my left ear. Students were even turning around glaring at her. I just ignored her. It makes me nervous because the principal was looking over at us. I don't want him to think it was me carrying on! Now, we'll probably get a mass email about teachers being unprofessional or something.

Mshope is offline   Reply With Quote

Cassyree

Old 08-30-2017, 02:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I also hated teachers who talked through faculty meetings. Immature, unprofessional, rude. More common in recent history than the past.
Cassyree is online now   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 08-30-2017, 03:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thanks for listening everyone and thanks for the responses. I rarely vent but I do have daily frustrations with my teaching assignment. It is especially frustrating when my peers do such poor behavior during what was a helpful and rare pd on our new reading program. I so much wanted to shout "shut your mouth" but restrained myself for once. I am usually an outspoken person on the job but do restrain myself for the good of the group. I am going to send a message to the district office and ask them to tell presenters to directly deal with the talkers. It is a ridiculous problem in our district.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

elspeech

Old 08-30-2017, 05:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I think teachers are often the worst audiences. It drives me crazy. If the behavior is something you wouldn't tolerate from your students when you are trying to teach, then the speaker shouldn't have to tolerate it from you.
elspeech is online now   Reply With Quote

TheTrunch

I wish
Old 08-30-2017, 05:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I wish you would have turned around and caught the admins eye and said SHHHHH !
TheTrunch is offline   Reply With Quote

Penguin82

Stuck too!
Old 08-30-2017, 08:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I was in a PD with my teammates who would not stop whispering to eachother. Then they would look at me and say "I don't get it what's going on!" Driving me nuts.

Penguin82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Alaska35

Agree
Old 08-31-2017, 04:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I totally understand your comments. I am retired now, but this was always a pet peeve of mine. I tried to avoid sitting by the "talkers" in PD or meetings.
Alaska35 is offline   Reply With Quote