Help

The VENT

Should I Try to Help New Teacher?

>

spunky7

Should I Try to Help New Teacher?
Old 08-31-2017, 03:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Okay, so last year I taught middle school. Very challenging year. Recently one of the high school teachers(we are FB friends), who now teaches some of my students from last year, posted in a private group on Facebook, that I am also part of, about some issues she is having with getting students to complete certain types of assignments. I had similar struggles with the students last year. Do you think it would be appropriate for me to send her a message about how I handled these issues last year? Would it be better to e-mail her? I no longer work at the school (I resigned last spring). I just don't want to break any sort of confidentiality rules. I obviously wouldn't mention students by name, but does anyone know if it is okay to have these discussions with new teachers? I just don't want her to feel like she's alone and would like to help in any way I can. I have been super careful in the past about confidentiality and don't want to break any rules. Should I just let it go? Any help is appreciated!

spunky7 is offline   Reply With Quote

apple annie

Old 08-31-2017, 03:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would just let it go. She'll figure it out.
apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 08-31-2017, 03:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I agree with annie apple and let it go. Facebook, even on a private group, is no place to be discussing students.
all41 is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Phone or in person?
Old 08-31-2017, 04:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'd be cautious about posting something and leaving a written trail. You just never know for sure who will see it. Even though it's a private group, the membership could change or someone could simply show a post to a non-member. And then there are screen shots...

If the new teacher is a personal friend (as opposed to just a FB friend), You might offer to meet for coffee and talk. If she takes you up on it, then you could decide what to say, based on the way the conversation goes.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

spunky7

Old 08-31-2017, 04:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks for the tips everyone! I would never post on the group itself, just because of who might see it and I want to keep things as confidential as possible. I was thinking either e-mail or private message. But now, I'm thinking maybe it's best to just let it be and if she has questions, she could always contact me. I just don't want her to make judgements on the students' work habits when she's only known them a short time. I know as a new teacher, I always tried to keep an open mind regardless of previous teachers' experiences.

spunky7 is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 08-31-2017, 05:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
I'd be cautious about posting something and leaving a written trail. You just never know for sure who will see it. Even though it's a private group, the membership could change or someone could simply show a post to a non-member. And then there are screen shots...

If the new teacher is a personal friend (as opposed to just a FB friend), You might offer to meet for coffee and talk. If she takes you up on it, then you could decide what to say, based on the way the conversation goes.
Agree!

In my previous district there was a problem with people forwarding emails to others than it was sent to (administration, school board members, reporters).
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

dedicated101

I say
Old 08-31-2017, 07:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Reach out to her but don't discuss students. Give her your cell number and say if she'd like to talk you'd be happy to help.
dedicated101 is offline   Reply With Quote

NerdTeach

Old 09-01-2017, 03:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

You could also always message her saying something along the lines of "I worked in that position last year, and I found the advice of ___ very helpful!" Basically, redirect her to a helpful teacher who is still at that school who gave you good advice. That way, there's no real paper trail, she'll get the help she needs, and she'll feel like she isn't alone in the struggle.
NerdTeach is offline   Reply With Quote