Help

The VENT

I just can't

>

twinangels

I just can't
Old 08-31-2017, 01:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I can't seem to get my feet under me this year. I'm overwhelmed, to say the least. I feel like I'm on the verge of a nervous breakdown. There is too much change, very little or no training on the new things we are expected to use, not enough time to cover the amount of standards that I'm expected to cover in a short amount of time. and observations will start soon. I have cried more since we started four weeks ago, and my poor husband doesn't know what to do. I've been teaching over 20 years. It just shouldn't be this way.

twinangels is offline   Reply With Quote

Nearly

Take a deep breath
Old 08-31-2017, 01:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

...and try to relax. I know it's easy to feel overwhelmed this time of year. This is my 30th year, and it seems every year there are more assessments to administer and more online programs to learn and use. I stay sane by only doing what is actually useful or mandated and wait on the rest. Much of the new stuff that is introduced (often to great fanfare) will be dropped the following year, so why obsess over it. We help each other at my school. Can you approach your department head or colleague to devise a strategy to deal with the standards and the changes?
Nearly is offline   Reply With Quote

dee3

I just can't
Old 08-31-2017, 02:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Try to stay positive and only focus on what is necessary. You've been teaching long enough to know what works. Just put the standards in your lesson plans and teach what you know in reality works
dee3 is offline   Reply With Quote

jeanmary

Old 09-01-2017, 04:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Breath... The beginning of the year is always overwhelming and it takes a lot of time to settle into a new routine. Take one day at a time especially with new things and do what you can. You can only physically do so much so go slow.
jeanmary is offline   Reply With Quote

ThatDiva

I feel the same
Old 09-01-2017, 07:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I got overwhelmed before school even started. There's a lesson plan template that we have to use which I hate. I received three 3 inch binders that must be kept up-to-date. We received training on three new online systems to use yet the training only lasted about an hour each. Everyone has brand, spanking new SmartBoards that we are expected to use yet we've had zero training on how to use it.

I quickly realized that I can only do what I can do. I used the lesson plan template, but I will also have my own lesson plan book that I can understand. Yeah, it's extra work, but sometimes you just have to play the game. The binders will get done when they get done. The online systems will get used after I figure out how to use them (lord knows when that will be). It is what it is. As long as the students are learning, the rest will eventually fall into place.

ThatDiva is offline   Reply With Quote

twinangels

Thank you
Old 09-01-2017, 08:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thank you for all your encouraging words. I'm trying my best to keep a positive outlook, and normally I can adjust, but this year has challenged me ethically. I'm having a difficult time embracing the new "no grading" policy and constant assessments. It's just not something that I agree with at all. To top it all off, I just found out I'm getting another new student on Tuesday, and I think I ticked off our attendance clerk when I questioned her adding to my class when three other classes have lower numbers. Oh well. I will now have 23... a lot for third grade.

Thatdiva, what state are you from? Sounds like all the changes that are going on here... lots of new things and little guidance or training.
twinangels is offline   Reply With Quote

SweetTea

I could have written this post...
Old 09-01-2017, 02:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I fantasize about quitting my new job in a new district. If I could I would. I am totally burnt out. I am almost to the point I do not care what they think of me.
SweetTea is offline   Reply With Quote