Help

The VENT

My parent complaint on the 2nd day just exploded

>

GreyhoundGirl

My parent complaint on the 2nd day just exploded
Old 08-30-2017, 06:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So you may remember I posted about the parent complaint last week (the 2nd day of school). The kid has missed 5 days of school and I can't get the parent to return a call (but she's called the nurse and complained).

So tonight she gets on the app Next Door and absolutely trashes me, tells lies and wants to start a petition to get me fired. She's also calling the school board.

I took a screen shot, emailed my P and AP and told them I wanted a stop put to it. Really, I want this kid out of my room.

I'm so angry, frustrated and scared.

GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 08-30-2017, 07:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am sorry. I sure hope your admin steps up and takes responsibility to handle this.

I don't remember your post on the complaint but will go back to look for it.

I might have actually posted my side on Next Door, but that would be wrong. I guess.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 08-30-2017, 07:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I would, but I can't see it. A friend sent it to me. It's probably a good thing I can't see it because it would turn into a pissing contest.

kahluablast

Old 08-30-2017, 07:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am sure it is better if you don't respond anyway. Nothing good would come of it.

I would push for removal from my class. Let someone else have the monkeys.

I saw one of my parents this morning standing at the secretaries desk filling out a withdrawal form (back history - my 3rd grader was pulled from k in Nov, from 1st in Jan, homeschooled for 2nd). She was saying how she knew she needed to work more with letter and letter sounds, etc, etc. I chimed in that she should also work on writing since he wasn't making spaces between words, blah blah. She wasn't disenrolling the 3rd grader but was doing the 1st grader (who had never gone to K). . They already missed 5 days of school. Today was day 13. He was in tears yesterday before we left. A lot of school to miss so early when you haven't been in school for a year and a half. Poor kid. He needs me.

Maybe I will curse at him tomorrow and see if that works!
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 08-30-2017, 07:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Oh, GG, I'm sorry for you. Even when we know the parent complaint is baseless, it's so upsetting. I hope you can dismiss it for what it's worth.

amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

Ally

Old 08-30-2017, 09:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am so sorry! How upsetting! I just do not know what is wrong with people!

I hope your admin will do something to help. I so wish we, as school personnel, could say "no thank you, we won't deal with your family, try another school, we're done."
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote

dedicated101

Ally
Old 08-31-2017, 03:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I agree!! I hate that parents and students can be as awful as they want and have the smug satisfaction that there isn't a lot we can do.

Greyhound Girl, I hope I'm not way off base saying this, but if the harassment persists, I might consider notifying the police. Especially if it becomes threatening. That Facebook post the parent made that you share with us awhile back did sound threatening, to be honest :-/

Keep us posted.
dedicated101 is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 08-31-2017, 04:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I would definitely look at the laws and your state ed code regarding your rights. Be strong and insist on parent civility and the protection of your rights. We have a civility clause and complaint form in our district. We also can insist on having a child removed if we do not feel safe. Get your union involved as well. Parents complain but they are not allowed to spread false information about a public employee.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

crazy parent
Old 08-31-2017, 06:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

It is highly probable that any of her "friends" know her for the looney tune she is and won't take her seriously. I know that doesn't make the situation any better or make you feel less hurt. If it comes down to it I am absolutely positive that you will have support from far more parents than she could ever imagine. I don't think she knows who she is dealing with!!!

Is there any way that your p could contact his former school to get some background on the situation? That kind of info could help decide what steps to take.
RetiredKat is online now   Reply With Quote

spedder1

Keep on it!
Old 08-31-2017, 07:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Keep on it with your P and AP. Can you contact the Union President or VP? This sounds like you need more help than your AR can provide. I'd skip the middle man and go straight to the top. Keep a paper copy of the screen shot and any other social media posts, even if you have to have your friend be your detective. Document daily, even when the child is absent. Sounds like she is using you as an excuse to not send the child to school. I know of one parent who did that at our school. The principal took out a restraining order. The parent was not allowed on school property. The weird thing was that the other parent was decent and apologetic for the other parent's behavior. Go figure.
Hope all works out and works out quickly.
Kathy

spedder1 is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 08-31-2017, 07:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

The P got her to remove the post...supposedly. I'm going to have someone check and he's being moved out of my room. My team mate is going to have kittens.

spedder1

your poor teammate
Old 08-31-2017, 09:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Wine and chocolates might help the poor thing. Hopefully this is step one of getting him removed from your school.
Kathy
spedder1 is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 08-31-2017, 02:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Quote:
The P got her to remove the post...supposedly. I'm going to have someone check and he's being moved out of my room.
Perfect! So glad you won't have to deal with her anymore.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 08-31-2017, 03:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

great news !
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

PrivateEyes

What a way to start the year
Old 08-31-2017, 04:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

But if a parent was going to go all ballistic on you, it's great that she did it after so many absences and so few actual school days.

A. Who could take her seriously?
B. It's a lot easier to move a kid in the beginning of the year, and less disruptive to everyone.

I'm glad for your sake he's going. Feel sorry for the boy, though. Mom's going to ruin his life.
PrivateEyes is online now   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 08-31-2017, 05:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Quote:
So you may remember I posted about the parent complaint last week (the 2nd day of school). The kid has missed 5 days of school and I can't get the parent to return a call (but she's called the nurse and complained).

So tonight she gets on the app Next Door and absolutely trashes me, tells lies and wants to start a petition to get me fired. She's also calling the school board.

I took a screen shot, emailed my P and AP and told them I wanted a stop put to it. Really, I want this kid out of my room.

I'm so angry, frustrated and scared.
Slander? Libel?

Quote:
Defamation is an area of law that provides a civil remedy when someone's words end up causing harm to your reputation or your livelihood. Libel is a written or published defamatory statement, while slander is defamation that is spoken by the defendant. In this section, we'll explain what you need to prove if you're bringing a defamation lawsuit, and what to expect at each step of your case, including common defenses to a defamation claim.
Found at: http://www.nolo.com/legal-encycloped...-slander-libel
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Angelo

Wow!
Old 09-01-2017, 12:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

What a situation!

I'm always amazed in these cases how quick some people are to step in and support obviously irrational, vexatious parents in their ongoing (and usually preposterous) crusades against teachers and the school system.

I have a relative in my extended family who seemed to have a problem with every teacher her son ever had. Nothing was ever his fault. Nothing. It was always that the teacher was out to get him, or wasn't accommodating his learning disability properly. Always. She used to post memes like, "Helicopter mom and PROUD OF IT! #sorrynotsorry" and even started a blog where she called herself "Warrior Mama." When her son went to community college, she complained bitterly that professors wouldn't take her calls to discuss the progress of her ADULT son.

When she'd post this crap on social media (her circle of friends were a very obliging echo chamber), she was always met with a chorus of LIKES and "You go girl!" responses and "Wow! That teacher should be FIRED" type comments. This seemed to feed her ego and fuel her self-righteous indignation. People who might have disagreed (like me) generally didn't bother responding because it wasn't worth the flame war she'd start in response.

This is just by way of explaining why obviously irrational people get taken seriously even their complaints about teachers are patently ridiculous. They surround themselves with like-minded (generally anti-teacher) people and interpret the silence of everyone else as unspoken assent.
Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tawaki

Welp....
Old 09-01-2017, 05:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Angelo reminded me of my sped teacher friend who had a blogger-mommy warrior, bat sh*t crazy (BSC) parent. Mom was one of those who demanded the galaxy for her kid's IEP, whether the kid needed it or not. If mom didn't get the galaxy, the whole district was against this kid, and they were going to pay.

BSC mom slammed my friend using the friend's FULL NAME on the mommy warrior blog. It's almost worse than Facebook, as it came up in Google searches.

I don't know if your BSC mom has enough initiative to do a blog, but it wouldn't hurt to run your name and school through Yahoo search, Google and Bing to see what pops up.

My friend was mortified because while Facebook is pretty local to your area (usually), the blog and forum can be world wide.
Tawaki is offline   Reply With Quote