Help

The VENT

Rx for fidget spinner

>

roo

Rx for fidget spinner
Old 08-31-2017, 02:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

According to my P, we now have students bringing in prescriptions from their doctors for them to be allowed to use fidget spinners in class. Seriously??? So if I have a student who would be relaxed by having a goat in class or a drum kit who gets a prescription from her doctor, I have to allow it? Ridiculous!

roo is offline   Reply With Quote

fredlish

New one to me
Old 08-31-2017, 02:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've heard of accommodations that allow a fidget, but I have never heard of a medical prescription for a specific kind of fidget.

My first thought was is this from an actual doctor on an actual prescription pad? I would doubt it.

We had a renter who tried to present us with a demand from a "doctor" to allow her a comfort animal in a no-animal rental unit. As we did some research, we discovered that the "doctor" was no doctor and had no authority to write a prescription, which then turned into a demand from the renter. She was full-on nuts, and we could not deal with her anymore. We ended up ending the rental contract.

Those spinners are so distracting that I don't see how it could be mandated.
fredlish is offline   Reply With Quote

spedder1

I understand the need for fidgets
Old 08-31-2017, 02:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I doodle during meetings. It helps me to listen. However, the pencil and paper are in front of me. They don't bother anyone around me. Fidget spinners are held up so the children can see them spin. They distract others. They are not light, so make a clatter when dropped. There are other "fidgets" that are more subtle and get the job done. I think that if a prescription comes in for a specific "fidget spinner" I would provide a "generic" alternative that is less distracting for the rest of the class.
Kathy
spedder1 is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 08-31-2017, 03:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I would have the nurse call and discuss with doctor the need for the fidgit. She might get more info as to why this is prescribed.
klarabelle is online now   Reply With Quote

Tiamat

Old 08-31-2017, 03:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

The best "fidget" I have is a blob of Blu-tac. Hand it to the child - they fiddle with it. Nobody is envious,nobody is distracted, child is calm. Win-win situation. I use it myself if I know something is going to be stressful.

We, like most school, I think, have banned the spinners. They were causing fights on our already volatile playground.

Tiamat is online now   Reply With Quote

readandweep

Fidget spinner
Old 08-31-2017, 04:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have started incorporating fidget spinners into lessons - mainly as a timer for games.

And, oops, sometimes I forget to give it back after the activity.
readandweep is offline   Reply With Quote

jeanmary

Old 09-01-2017, 04:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Fortunately the P has banned all toys in school so the spinners are not allowed but I did have to take a few away from children who think the rule did not apply to them... Only had one parent ask for it to be returned, but her daughter lied to her and said someone else had taken it out of her backpack. They got them back the last week of school.
jeanmary is offline   Reply With Quote

Angelo

Not suprised
Old 09-01-2017, 01:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I figured it was just a matter of time before someone tried to argue the therapeutic merits of fidget spinners and secure a Rx for one.

The most absurd "doctor's note" I ever had to contend with was one that indicated a diagnosis of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder for a student. It also indicated that she was dealing with an "addiction to technology" that was exacerbated by her OCD. It went on to say that an OCD patient with "addiction to technology" can't go off the technology "cold turkey" and needs a lot of support and therapeutic intervention to be weaned off of it. The author of the note proposed that the student be "permitted to access her cell phone or tablet" during class at predetermined intervals to check for text messages and social media alerts. It said that she and her "doctor" would work on a plan to wean her off this addiction, and that the intervals between phone checks would be readjusted from time to time until such time as she was able to go for a whole class period without checking her phone. It alleged that simply depriving her of the phone during class would throw her OCD symptoms of anxiety and distress into overdrive and prove more destructive to her learning experience than simply letting her be distracted occasionally by the phone.

No joke.

Turned out that the "doctor" was actually a psychology professor (not a clinical psychologist) from a state university who was conducting a research study on "technology addiction" in adolescents and who also happened to be -- wait for it -- the student's UNCLE.

It was no dice in that case. A rare moment of admin backbone even despite threats of grievances to the district and lawsuits alleging violations of the Americans With Disabilities Act.
Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. S.

Old 09-01-2017, 05:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I knew this was going to happen. Ridiculous!

I have had 1 student that was allowed to have a fidget in his desk (not a spinner) He never really used it but it made his mom feel better.

I have a student who can have one this year and I was specifically told by P, NOT a spinner type!
Mrs. S. is offline   Reply With Quote

tgbwc

They've disappered
Old 09-01-2017, 06:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Our admin banned them last year. Since then I haven't seen or heard of any.

tgbwc is offline   Reply With Quote
helloy

helloy

Old 09-01-2017, 09:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

It may calm you but the rest of us want some peace too. Most of them don't need this toy, they have it because is a fad. A stress ball is more reasonable.

Alaska35

Jerry Brooks
Old 09-02-2017, 04:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

The principal on the YouTube videos that he makes has the perfect answer for those things!🙂
Alaska35 is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

spinners
Old 09-02-2017, 06:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I allow mine to take them to recess, but they're not allowed to play with them in class. Works out perfectly.

I agree to see if the nurse can call and verify the Rx. It doesn't sound legit to me. I put a piece of velcro (the soft side) under their desk for them to rub and it helps them without distracting the others. That could be an alternative if they HAVE to fidget with something. A spinner is unacceptable. It's a toy.

In the meantime, I'd have that particular child in a desk at the back of the room, away from the other children. If the parent is so set on the Rx, she'll have to understand that you have to protect the other children from the distraction.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Penguin82

I'll take a fidget spinner
Old 09-02-2017, 12:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Il take a fidget spinner over a fidget cube any day.

They can spin in their desks. If I see it I take it.

With the fidget cube, all I hear is CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK all day long.
Penguin82 is offline   Reply With Quote