The VENT

Preventing poor choices

>

CaliGalTeach

CaliGalTeach

Preventing poor choices
Old 08-30-2017, 05:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We're over a month into the new school year and I have a kid who has already been on a behavior plan and sitting as an island for two weeks. I teach third grade. The behavior plan I'm using is making some progress, but this kid has to CONSTANTLY be watched or he'll run around, ruin things, call people names, I'm so over it all ready. My next move is to have him face the wall in the back of the room during work time. The rest of my class doesn't like him, and he wonders why. Thankfully, my class has no time for behavior like his.

He's not the most trying kid I've ever had, but my goodness. I almost want to stop watching him, and let him do something major so he's suspended or gone for a day or two. He sucks up so much of my time and energy by my having to proactively watch him constantly so nothing happens. I'm all for being proactive in order to prevent issues, but I've had enough of this kid already. Come to Jesus talk. Tough love. It's so draining. I can't care more than you, child. I can't make your choices for you.

Parents are supportive, but he needs help. Something isn't right. Get on it, folks.

weinerdog

Old 08-30-2017, 06:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What is the next step? It may be time. In our case it's a bounce (to a different class to fill out a reflection sheet), then the team leads deal with it, and then an admin referral. Does he have a case manager? Who can you go for help. If the supports aren't working you need to let someone know.
weinerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Caligalteach

Caligalteach

Yep.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That's what I'm wondering. I have sent him to a teammate's room about 3 times. The kiddo hates it. I hate interrupting my teammate's class by sending him over, even though he doesn't mind.

I feel like I should be able to deal with this stuff on my own. I've taught 15 years. I know better than that, but it's frustrating. I've been documenting everything.
msd2

msd2

Old 08-31-2017, 05:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Escalate the issue stating the behavior plan and support is insufficient.
CaliGalTeach

CaliGalTeach

By escalate
Old 08-31-2017, 06:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

do you mean to back off and not prevent his choices from happening, so that more can be done to deal with his choices?

Just asking for clarification. It's been a long week! Thanks!

KatrynG

Talk with your Support team
Old 09-01-2017, 03:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Please talk with the intervention team that set up the IE plan, and talk with the lead teacher for your group. I know this is the beginning of the school year, but you need more support. Also talk with the Assistant Principal about the student.

Is your school a trauma center for behavioral issues? Perhaps the Intervention Team or AP could authorize additional help in the form of a para to help this student in your classroom. And is there Special Ed support in which the student is removed from the class for extra help one on one during class?
KatrynG is offline   Reply With Quote

teach_love

Conscious Discipline
Old 09-02-2017, 03:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have just stumbled this on concept "Conscious Discipline" on Youtube. I'm wondering why this hasn't been a focus my whole teaching career. I'm loving watching the videos. I'm not certain it will work, or you will find some peace or solace in it, but I'm loving what I see. I hope I can apply it and see gains in my own classroom environment, because this group is draining me. You can check it out, see what you think. Hugs for your trials. I know how it feels. It leaves you emotional drained. I pray you find what works soon and you can help this young child develop better emotional skills.
teach_love is offline   Reply With Quote