Help

The VENT

Parents

>

nickelbackfan

Parents
Old 08-31-2017, 11:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So sick of getting parent emails and dojo messages about how someone picked on their child only to find out their child also did something.

Like when a child hit another, and now mom is upset because the other child said she was going to hit. Ummm...doesn't make it ok for yours to hit. And by the way, your child lies a lot. So then there's that. 😫

nickelbackfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Gigi814

Old 09-01-2017, 04:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am sorry that I don't have any words of advice. I just wanted to say that you are not alone and I am dealing with a very similar situation.
Gigi814 is offline   Reply With Quote

KatrynG

Document Everything!
Old 09-01-2017, 02:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Turn your attendance list into a graph; put it on a clipboard and using an alphabetized key document behavior, daily.

If you have knowledge of any conflicts... document it... if there was an incident in the lunch room, recess, gym, hallway... whatever... make a note to self about what happened. Document it.

My grandson came home from school with a scratch on his face. He said one of his friends, a classmate, did it. I was upset! I confronted the teacher, who had the other boy apologize. My "little angelic" grandson didn't tell me that he PROVOKED his friend and that the boy was defending himself! An assistant teacher... the para... told me she witnessed the whole thing the next day. I was upset, again! I had my grandson apologize to his friend and the teacher, and he got punished for not telling the WHOLE truth....lying!
KatrynG is offline   Reply With Quote

Mshope

Don't Like All This "Communication"
Old 09-02-2017, 11:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm done using Class Dojo, Remind, and other sites where parents can "text" me. It just takes way too much time out of my day AWAY from teaching. I know all these sites are all the rage and our P brags about teachers who use them, but for me, they were a nightmare. It just makes it too easy for the parent to contact me BEFORE finding out what happened from their own child.

As I am middle school, I got more questions about assignments and grades, but ask your kid why he or she didn't turn something in. I don't know-I have 120 students! Plus, I think sometimes things might come across the wrong way through a text. I steer parents to my website or email. I also quit emailing back quickly when they start abusing that. I find almost 99% of the contact I get could be solved by talking to their own kid.
Mshope is offline   Reply With Quote

teach_love

Flip book memories...
Old 09-02-2017, 04:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I had an enraged parent once because her daughter spelled F-u-k at home. She wrote like a 3 page letter, before Dojo days, about how pissed she was at me that I would allow another child to teacher her daughter to spell curse words.

One, I didn't.
Two when I pulled the girls separately to discuss the issue it turned out the daughter had asked the other child in group how to spell it, because she was one of my low students and was still working on letter sounds. The other student refused, so daughter threatened the little girl that she would hit her if she didn't show her.

Mom never responded to my return note. lol

teach_love is offline   Reply With Quote