Help

The VENT

What did the sub do with it?

>

MissAgnes

What did the sub do with it?
Old 09-01-2017, 10:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I had to have a sub this week. It's only the second week of school, but I lost my voice and couldn't help it. It was one day. Apparently, some of my students turned their work into the sub instead of putting it in the work basket. I've told them to make sure to put their work in the basket, don't give it to me or put it on my desk. But I didn't tell them not to give it to the sub. I have no clue what the sub did with they work they gave him. I have turned my desk and room upside down. All I can think it he either took it with him, or threw it away.
I don't want to penalize my kids for making a mistake on procedures. I guess I'm just going to give them credit.
But what in the world did the sub do with their work?????

MissAgnes is offline   Reply With Quote

Gigi814

Old 09-01-2017, 10:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't know what grade you teach, but down in primary I have had students insist they turned something in. Turns out the work was in their desk the whole time. You might want to check this child's desk. If it's an honest and reliable student, check the recycling bin as well in case the sub threw it in there. I don't know why they would have taken it home, but then again, I've met some very odd subs.
Gigi814 is offline   Reply With Quote

MissAgnes

I teach 4th.
Old 09-01-2017, 11:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It's only the second week of school, so I haven't quite sussed out all the reliable students.
They have cubbies for their supplies, and folders for unfinished work. There aren't many places work can hide (one reason I switched to tables).
This sub was very inexperienced, and it was obvious he got VERY rattled. He didn't follow any of my (very detailed) sub plans, and pretty much had no clue what he was doing. I can see how he might have gotten flustered and misplaced the papers. Unfortunately my recycle bin was already emptied.

Angelo

Lying?
Old 09-01-2017, 12:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have no experience teaching students in 4th, admittedly. However, having taught MS and HS, "I turned it into the sub; he/she must have lost it!" was a lie in 99 cases out of 100. It meant the student had goofed off for the period, done no work, and hoped not to have to complete it by blaming the sub (who was unlikely to be around to contradict their story).

I suppose it's possible the sub actually did lose the work, but a lot of kids regard a stressed or rattled sub the way a lioness would regard a wounded antelope that's been separated from its herd. Frankly, some kids try to pull this on ANY sub, even one who has it together.

I'm not sure I'd put it past some 4th graders to run this particular scam. Plus they're not stupid. They know it's hard to prove a negative, and that their parents will probably believe them 100% and complain if they're held accountable for not having done the work.

Our secretaries stopped accepting work in the main office last year for precisely this reason. Kids would claim they'd handed their work into the office to be delivered to the teacher's mailbox, but... surprise, surprise... it's mysteriously vanished! The number of students trying to blame the secretaries for losing their work got so ridiculous we just implemented a "put it in your teacher's hands directly or submit it online and keep the digital receipt" policy. Students who try to submit their work any other way are told clearly they do so at their own risk.
Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 09-01-2017, 01:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

A few of them are probably doing exactly what Angelo said. I sub, and it did take a while before the kids knew I was a regular fixture and it was just as "real" a day as when their usual teacher was there.

A few may actually have messed up the procedure, too. I'm finding kids nowadays have more and more trouble transferring expectations (or even problem-solving strategies) to a slightly different situation.

Check any other bins you have, any clipboards you left the sub (bus lists, that sort of thing) tops of file cabinets, and your small group table if you have one.

If you still don't find them, is there a way to e-mail the sub? I would explain that some of the kids said they turned in their homework to him instead of the bin, and if that happened you may have misplaced it while cleaning your desk. (Pretend even though you wouldn't have, so he doesn't think you're accusing him.) Say you don't want to call them out on lying if he does remember a few turning it in the other way, but you want to speak with them if they were goofing off and trying to cover it up.

Who knows, he may actually be able to tell you where they are.

Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

TheTrunch

Stole it ... in my case
Old 09-01-2017, 01:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I had a cassette of a math drill that is irreplaceable and had assigned it to the sub. Went missing and I KNOW she took it. grrrr .... Only thing missing in my entire career and it had to be THAT thing I liked most.
TheTrunch is offline   Reply With Quote

KatrynG

Missing Work... Repeat it!
Old 09-01-2017, 01:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Miss Agnes,

I sub for 1st through 5th grades, and I love the shrewdness of 4th and 5th graders! Currently, I congratulate all the students on being promoted to their new grades, and tell them how important it is that they continue to practice and complete their work.

I have seen students crumple incomplete handouts and throw them in the trash or leave them on the floor to be swept away by the custodial staff.

If you cannot find the completed papers somewhere in your room, basket, file cabinet, students' folders or book bags...why not have the students 'do it again?!'

You stated "Apparently, some of my students turned their work into the sub instead of putting it in the work basket." Perhaps those students should redo the work during time set aside for recess, while other more productive students are playing...

Students love to take advantage of subs' lack of procedural knowledge. You may want to re-model your procedures and expectations of what you want your students to do in your absence in the future.

And remind them that the tasks are not complete if you do not receive documents upon your return. It's amazing how well students behave when they know their teacher will hold them accountable for actions taken while he or she was absent!
KatrynG is offline   Reply With Quote

MissStacey

Old 09-01-2017, 04:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I teach 5th and if these were my students, "I passed it in!" would really mean "I don't see it immediately in front of my face and can't be bothered to look for it- someone else must have it!".

Do they have desks or cubbies they could have stuffed it in?
MissStacey is offline   Reply With Quote

Clarity

Yep. Liar, liar, pants on fire -
Old 09-02-2017, 06:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Students lie. They did not do the work. As a sub in the past, I have actually had this happen. Teacher calls and asks where the work is. Like I would take students' work home?? Please. Use your intuition. Never take the word of a child over the word of a teacher, sub or otherwise. It is very demoralizing.
Clarity is offline   Reply With Quote

Tiki

Just don't count the work
Old 09-02-2017, 08:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Can you contact the sub and ask if she collected it and placed it somewhere? It's possible the students didn't complete it, but it is also possible a sub put it in his/her bag accidentally. I wouldn't grade work done with a sub. Some subs are great, but I have had many that don't seem to use logic.

I had a unit my students had been working on sent home by a sub. I didn't have anything in the plans for them to even work in those folders the day I was out. The sub passed them out and told them to take it home! A few students tried to explain that those weren't to go home, but the sub wouldn't listen to them. Since I had an ed tech in the room throughout the day I had another adult to verify. I wouldn't assume the students are lying.

Tiki is offline   Reply With Quote

MissAgnes

Most of the time it's benefit of the doubt.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I am well aware that students lie. I have had them tell me to my face that I lose their work when it was in their desk or folder. They are not all liars, though.
I found a stack of student papers shoved behind my file cabinet today. Obviously shoved, the papers were crumpled and folded. It was a stack of mixed work from different student. Sadly, that file cabinet is not in a place accessible to students. So, at least SOME of them were telling the truth.

KatrynG

Mystery Solved!
Old 09-05-2017, 11:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

It's awesome that you found the missing paperwork and your faith in your students is elevated. But it's sad about where you found the paperwork and how it got there.
KatrynG is offline   Reply With Quote

ElizabethJoy

Subs
Old 09-06-2017, 09:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I never grade work that the kids do while I'm away. I ask the sub to mark it with them, but I don't record the scores.

Easier that way
ElizabethJoy is offline   Reply With Quote