Sunflower Room

All the way to Third?

>

Lodi 3rd

Lodi 3rd

All the way to Third?
Old 06-25-2006, 08:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm new to this idea but I think it's great!

I read Reading With Meaning as my professional read for the summer. I am frustrated more than ever.

I think all students should get this experience as their first introduction to reading. Which led to my first question: Is it necessary for the teacher to have a love of reading herself to get this message across to students? (our first grade teachers do not read for pleasure or professional growth unless forced)

I became more frustrated as I read on because my students are so far behind in their reading skills compared to the first graders in Miller's class. How can I get these skills to 3rd graders if I don't have the time? How can I not find the time? How do I do this for 3rd graders? Do I use the same titles and mini lessons?

Ideas welcome!!

D.

BookMuncher

my response
Old 06-25-2006, 05:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hi Lodi! I replied to your questions when you asked them on the "Debbie Miller's Discussion's New Home" link. You can read it there... good luck to you!

dlynneteacher

Size of Library
Old 06-27-2006, 10:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I will be teaching third grade also this year. My principal has told me that I must use the basal. However, I love DM's ideas. The only way I can think to include the DM is during my guided reading time. I plan to use mini lessons and have the small group chose books to read. This will all follow DM's plans. I have one question for those planning or who have done this already: how big should my classroom library be? I am a third year teacher-I have taught fourth in the past. My library is not large. What i do have is mostly chapter books. I love the idea of teaching with picture story books. I just don't know if I have enough books to carry my plan through. I have started buying some picture story books this summer (thrift stores). My classroom library will be nowhere near DM. Please help, I need guidance on this. Thanks a bunch! Should I just wait a few years until i can build a larger library or go with what I have?

hescollin

Scholastic free books
Old 06-28-2006, 06:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

You will find books at garage sales, also. Join the Scholastic Book club and earn the free books from your student orders.