Fourth Grade

Visualizing Lesson

>

Closed Thread

JRob

Visualizing Lesson
Old 10-19-2005, 12:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone have any ideas on how to teach the children the skill of visualization? I am looking for something that the children will find interesting!

NYCTeach

Poems
Old 10-19-2005, 02:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hi,
I am in first grade, and usually start this skill through poetry as a shared reading. First, I read the poem to the class while they follow along in their minds. Their focus this time is just listening to the flow of the words. The second time, we read it and think about what the words mean. This is when we go through and decipher any tricky phrases, locate describing words, and figure out what is actually happening in the poem. The third time we read, the kids close their eyes and "make a picture in their minds". After that they buddy up on the rug and share with a partner what they were picturing. I have a few children share it out, and then they take a copy of the poem to their seat and draw a picture showing what they visualize when they read the poem. Later they will write sentences telling about what they visualized, and what words helped them with that. It doesn't sound thrilling but when I do this activity, my children love it! It's probably appropriate to do with a descriptive book passage too, if they're older. I did this with "The Twits" and "James and the Giant Peach" last year in third grade and it was great. Hope this helps!
Phoebe

Phoebe

Visualizing
Old 10-19-2005, 05:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I don't have the resource handy, but...there's a new resource published by Heinemann called Comprehension Toolkit, by Stephanie Harvey and Anne Goudvis (The "Strategies That Work" authors). It's for grades 3-6, and includes separate books for teaching reading strategies like Monitoring for Comprehension, Inferring, and Visualizing. You use the lessons as a shared read aloud, and I really like it for 4th grade. Check it out on Heinemann's website.

Alicia

Alicia

Drawing
Old 10-20-2005, 06:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Sometimes in my guided reading groups, if we're reading a chapter book, I will pick a part of the chapter that has a lot of description. For example, recently a character was describing a house with quite a bit of detail. As they read (independently) I told them to really think about what they were picturing the house to look like in their heads. As an assignment they were to draw a picture of the house and be ready to share the drawings at the next meeting. As we shared they noticed that although they all read the same pages, everyone visualized the house to be slightly different (very similar too). We talked about how even though we may read the same thing, we may all visualize it slightly different. That's what is great about our minds!

CO teach

Sounds familiar!
Old 10-23-2005, 06:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am teaching visualizing as well. So far I have had kids listening to my read aloud and then talking about the pictures that they see in their minds. Then they go back to their independent reading book and use sticky notes to mark places where they got a good picture in their head. Once they have a few places, they can pick one and make a poster (12X18 construction paper) of the scene that they picked.

I have tried to make it a differentiated unit by having three different visualizing activities. I have a book that has graphic organizers for differentiation in reading activities. If you would like, I can email you the title tomorrow. The lower level activity has an organizer for all five senses and emotions. They fill out the organizer and then draw a picture using their organizer.

The middle activity has a place for the kids to draw a scene from their book. Then they write 2 or three sentences explaining what's happening in their scene. The last part they draw a picture that shows what they think will happen in the next part of their book.

The higher level activity has students create a movie strip with many scenes that happened over a whole chapter or the whole book. It doesn't have as much scaffolding as the other two, but they do have to summarize more than the other activities.

Hopefully, this isn't toooo long and makes sense. But if you need more info please email me at nichole.falkowski@gmail.com.

Nichole

BTW - I am trying to plan a whole unit around visualizing, but it is still in the works. I would love to have someone to try it out with so if you're interested let me know!

JRob

Thanks!
Old 10-24-2005, 11:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thank you everyone for your ideas...
lfos

lfos

Visualizing
Old 11-27-2005, 05:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Our school has just started explicitly teaching the comp. strats. from Strategies that Work and your lesson ideas were very helpful. I am starting visualizing this week and was also going to add a listening experience so that kids can use sounds to visualize a scene (i.e. nature sounds) Thanks again for all of the good ideas!

TeacherBB

TeacherBB

Visualizing idea
Old 01-21-2006, 06:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I teach the kids to stretch to sketch (stretch your mind and sketch on paper). After reading for a certain amount of time, I stop everyone and just say "stretch and sketch!" They all grab their reading response journals and roughly sketch what they are picturing in their mind at that exact moment in the reading. After a novel or basal story, they can turn their favorite sketch into a nice illustration with color and detail. THis is a fun way to teach the strategy of Visualization. The kids love it when I surprise them with a "Stretch to Sketch".

Snowgal

Old 02-03-2009, 07:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have been looking for some graphic organizers that might be good to use for some visualization activities..It sounds like your book might just fit the bill. Can you tell me what the title is? Thank you very much. Does anyone have any other graphic organizers that you absolutely LOVE and have found success with that you could send me? Thanks..