Fourth Grade

How to teach the Storytown Book

>

Katina

Katina

How to teach the Storytown Book
Old 09-10-2008, 12:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have no clue how to use the new reading series of storytown in my 4th grade class. Who is doing Strategic Intervention and when? Who is doing the leveled readers and when? How about the whole class instruction? How do you fit it all in? What is the sped teacher supposed to be doing? Please help me!!!

Abbra

Storytown
Old 09-10-2008, 04:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am a Title 1 teacher. My school adopted the Storytown series last year. I had a big group of students in third grade last year and used the Strategic Intervention Kit with them so... this year I'm using the 4th Grade Strategic
Intervention Kit. The Vocabulary and Comprehension Skills are very important to all the students so that could be a whole group lesson. My district only got the lower leveled readers. The first grade teachers will use them occasionally, but I use them alot and so does the CD teacher.
Out of the Strategic Intervention Kit- I use the Vocabulary squares, the spelling practice pages, and the Comprehension Skill pages. The Skill Cards in the Intervention Kit are also very good.
I'm attaching an overview of the 4th Grade Strategic Intervention Kit that I put together to help me plan this year.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Grade 4 Language Arts.doc (175.5 KB, 274 views)
Abbra is offline   Reply With Quote

teach8060

second year
Old 09-11-2008, 06:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This is our second year using Storytown. I have an Inclusion )SPED) teacher who works with 5 children in Strategic Intervention (last year had a different Inclusion teacher using it with 2 students) during small group time while I meet with the below, on and above level groups. My Inclusion teacher is also responsible for the Title I students, but I have them in the below level group. I meet with my small groups 3-4 times per lesson. I very rarely do a 5 day lesson - usually 6 days. Just can't fit it all in! The "Meat and potatoes" of Storytown is the small group instruction using the leveled materials. I don't understand how schools only order some of the readers (or how the salesperson allows that...) I meet with the below group every day (of small groups) and usually only twice with the above level and maybe every day with the on-level kids. Lots of independent work and conferencing with the above level kids. I make the whole group lessons move as quickly as possible (altho I feel like this class is sooo slloooowww...) to get to the small groups and literacy centers, but it still takes me two days of whole group before I meet with small groups. I have replied before to other posts regarding Storytown and can't help but emphasize how important it is to have a consultant work with a school. In our first year, we must have had ours in at least 5 times - meeting with us in groups and also in grade levels. We are a small school, so maybe it was easier for her. I don't know if she will be in this year, tho! She was very helpful and made us feel confident!
Good luck to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by teach8060; 09-11-2008 at 06:01 PM.. Reason: spelling
teach8060 is offline   Reply With Quote

Prissy2

Thank You
Old 10-06-2008, 05:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks for sharing!
Prissy2 is offline   Reply With Quote

katie1107

Old 10-13-2009, 05:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks so much for the information. We were inserviced only yesterday and I was not using the leveled readers correctly. I guess it's better late than never....I'm working now on organization of the literacy centers and transitioning to the small groups. Any helpful tips on these areas would be greatly appreciated.

katie1107 is offline   Reply With Quote