Help

Sunflower Room

Are we done?

>

Jen L

Are we done?
Old 07-18-2006, 07:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I finished reading the book about a week ago and am anxious to hear about what you all think. I posted in a different message about what my schedule may look like. But...here it is.

10 min- kiddos make book selection (this will probably be done as they
come in 1st thing, so it's really not part of my LA block)

20 min- mini-lesson

25 min- independent reading (at that time, I can walk around and
conference with the kiddos)

25 min- writing response

10 min- share...I think I read somewhere that it's important to have the
kids share what they discovered during independent reading

40 min- guided reading/work stations

What are you going to do? I teach 3rd- so if you're a 3rd grader- I would love to hear what you have to say. Also- is everyone planning on doing this everyday? I was thinking that I would do a mini-lesson on reading comprehension 3 days a week and do a writing mini-lesson the other 2 days. I haven't read anything else on reader's workshop- so this is a first for me. I hope it's enough to get me started. YIKES!

dlynneteacher

Off to a great planning start
Old 07-19-2006, 05:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Jen L, I think you are doing a good job following the procedures. I just wanted to mention I have just read another book I have seen some of the teachers on here say is really good. It is "Reading Essentials" by Reggie Routman. I liked this book, too. Routman advocates an 80/20 reading/writing time. You may want to consider giving five to ten minutes of your reading response time to independent reading time. Routman says there should be a minimum of 30 minutes independent reading every day. This is just a suggestion, I think your plan is great.

2ndGradeChick

Schedule
Old 07-20-2006, 07:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hi Jen...I allow an hour and a half for reading each day. That includes 20-30 minutes of silent reading. I usually have 4-6 reading groups and I meet with them 1 or 2 times a week. (If i met with them only one time the next week it would be 2 times unless it is the highest group or two who are working on a chapter book independently)
I have a 20 minute phonics lesson with the whole class, the silent reading and then i take the last 40 minutes a day and have 20 minute reading groups and work stations.

BookMuncher

Jen
Old 07-20-2006, 04:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Nice schedule!! I think what you have will have great results! You're right about sharing... I think it's possibily THE m ost important part. If done right, it is what ultimately moves your class forward. It's when other kids get to see what it is that successful readers are doing. I manage my sharing time by writing the word "Celebrations" up on the board (I think this year I'll just make a magnet) with # 1, #2, and #3 under it. While I walk around and confer, I have 2-3 kids go to the board and write their names by each number if they agree to share something I've noticed. It's usually small things, but they LOVE to have their name up, and I've learned that the shorter, the better!

Jen L

Celebrations
Old 07-23-2006, 06:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

What a great idea! I think I'll do that, too. Not only do the kids love to share- but they also LOVE to write on the white board. It would also help me remember who I've talked to about sharing. Thanks for the great idea!

LuvToLearn

Too Many Sharers
Old 07-26-2006, 05:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I love the Celebrations idea too. How do you control the "Can I share today?" from everyone? I constantly get asked that, and while I try to tell them that I pick different children to get a chance, it doesn't seem to work. How do you explain the Celebrations when you first do it? Thanks!

mrssimon2gr

let everyone share knee too knee first
Old 07-26-2006, 05:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Then, do your individual sharing.

BookMuncher

celebrations
Old 07-26-2006, 05:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I don't really explain it, other than saying "This is the time during the day where I'll ask some friends to tell us about some really great things I've seen them doing during reading." Also, the kids don't pick or ask to go. From day one, I pick kids to share who have done something that I think will prove to be the most helpful for everyone else to hear. That's why it really is different than traditional sharing. It's an instructional time in the spirit of sharing.

I do mentally keep track of sharers so that no one is doing it too much and everyone is getting chances.

There are other times in my day when you can do regular sharing where kids can volunteer (I do this type of sharing a lot with book advertisements).