Help

Sunflower Room

Debbie fans

>

annieteach1

Debbie fans
Old 07-26-2006, 07:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

For all you Debbie Miller & Diller "groupies" out there, I started a yahoo group so we could brainstorm some ideas together. I very much want to use Debbie Miller's Readers' Workshop model in my first grade classroom this coming year, but my school also uses Guided Reading a la Fountas/Pinnell. I like Debbie Diller's model of literacy workstations/ creating meaningful work for students instead of "busy work." I want to get a headstart on planning, and thought there may be others out there who would like to talk about some specific activites for mini lessons that can be extended into literacy workstations. If you are interested, just email me and I'll send you the "official invite" for the group. My email address is annieteach2002@yahoo.com. Thanks everyone!

Ann

gel2981

joining group?
Old 08-03-2006, 09:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Ann,
I think I sent you an email to join the group. Is this where we will discuss things? I have been receiving all the emails, so is this sunflower room the site I am supposed to respond to? I try to respond to some of the emails and my mail returns as undeliverable. Thanks. Gaye

annieteach1

I"m not certain what's happening Gaye.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It sounds like I sent you an invite to the group and that you joined (if you're getting emails). Why don't you send me another email and I'll see if your address is on the membership list. You have to post responses on the group board at the actual Yahoo group, but you have to be signed in. Did you create a Yahoo account or is it going to a non-Yahoo email address? That might make a difference too (I'm not sure...I'm new to this too). If you want to try a Yahoo account...they're free, and I know for certain they work with the Groups site. Email me and let me know what you decide

Ann
Doren

Doren

Old 08-17-2006, 06:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I would like to join your group and discuss workstations too. I am also interested in know if any third grade teachers are using this in their class.

Smiles66

Third Grade
Old 08-25-2006, 11:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Doren,
I will be teaching third grade this fall and definitely plan on using Miller and Diller in my programming. I think we may need to beef up Diller a bit...I am contemplating buying her book for 3-6...but am wondering what its like. Anyone know about it?

pjcb47

pjcb47

Third Grade
Old 01-15-2007, 08:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have been teaching for 26years and have seen all different strategies come and go.... I have to teach for the rest of my life because I took too much time off and then had to come back to teaching in PUblic school and have no significant years in to retire ever...I am ok with that,..I just take one day at a time.
the point is I HAVE to do workstations but I have a hard time "cutsieing" them up .... I just want to place a sign and then put something there and thats it....
I DO train the students on how to use each station... but still have been called on the fact that they arent cutsie enough (not in those exact words) which makes me crazy...I refuse to MAKE things in this day and age.. so I dont want to spend time on that ,,,, are there any short cut ways to cutsie up a workstation???? help!!!
I have also heard recently that the tide may be turning and work stations are going out and independent work coming in.. believe me I have seen it all come and go... it is amazing how things change and what DOES work??? You tell me....
PLEASE