Help

Sunflower Room

clarification

>

n2n2n2n

clarification
Old 11-04-2006, 12:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Just wondering if someone could clarify for me the terms guided reading and readers' workshop. What would you consider to be the similarities and differences.
I just read another post that left me wondering if I had a misinterpretation about readers' workshop.
Thanks

iluv2nd

My take...
Old 11-04-2006, 12:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Reader's workshop is an approach for delivering instruction and guided reading is often a component. Reading workshop is usually divided into specific components. First, there is a whole group mini lesson focused on a reading strategy, workshop management issue, reading skill, etc. like making connections, taking care of books, using the classroom library, understanding imagery... Ideally, this part of the workshop is brief (10-15 minutes). It is followed by work time where students are encouraged to "try out" the focus of the mini lesson. This often means that most students are reading independently while the teacher either conferences with individuals about their reading or meets with small groups. Small group meetings are often guided reading groups where students with similar needs read and learn together. A guided reading lesson also has a predictable format (book intro, skill lesson, reading the text independenty while teacher listens to individuals, follow-up activities or discussion). The text for these groups is at an instructional level meaning that with support the students can handle the challenge. Depending on the age of the students and the complexity of the text, guided reading lessons can be delivered in one meeting or over several days. The reading workshop concludes with some sort of sharing. This, too, can be whole group where students share how they used the skill taught in the mini lesson in their independent reading. There are many other options for the sharing... partners sharing something about their reading for the day, the teacher recapping and recognizing some of those students observed practicing target skills or behaviors, etc.

Hope this helps...

BookMuncher

wow!
Old 11-04-2006, 03:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Well said, Iluv2nd!!!

n2n2n2n

yes
Old 11-16-2006, 08:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

That helped a lot --- thanks.