Help

Sunflower Room

2nd grade Reader's Folder/Notebook/etc

>

teachersd

2nd grade Reader's Folder/Notebook/etc
Old 08-08-2010, 08:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone else in 2nd grade use a binder, folder, notebook, etc to keep their students accountable in RW? If so what are some things that you include in it?

thebeach16

Old 08-08-2010, 02:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have been organizing my kids reading using Sharon Taberski's book, On SOlid Ground, for a few years. I am open to other ideas but am hesitant to try something new that may not work as well.
She suggests folders that are all kept together. Everyday she pulls a "lucky folder" and comments on the organization. I take about 2 seconds on this. The kids kept things in order because you might pull their and they still are at the age where they think they are "lucky" for this. Her book even has a picture of how the folders are set up. Each folder has the following:
1. Reading log - I use hers - the kids get a new one each week. They have to write the title and author for each day and color in the box if they read fiction, non-fic or poetry. This helps with accountability.
2. Mini-notebooks for conferencing - she has conference notes in these. She also writes notes to the kids in them based on the conference. I kind of would like to keep the kids conference notes all together and on me. I never seem to actually have the time to write them notes. However, years when I have assistants/special edu and reading teachers in my room I ask them to conference too and the notebooks are there for them to use. I ask assistants to just write down the book title and the date. This has worked because it keeps other adults busy and accountable and gets more kids conferences.
3. Reading Response notebook - she gives each kid a floppy black and white notebook (smaller than the regular) She teaches 5 types of responses. I struggle with this. I want my kids to read, read, read and not worry too much about writing. She has kids writing with every few books they read on kind of an honor system. I always have those few girls who always respond and then the rest never seem to. I also use a lot of Debbie Miller and have my kids glue any of the sheets we do together in these notebooks.

teachersd

Debbie Miller
Old 08-08-2010, 06:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

What Debbie Miller book are you referring to?

thebeach16

Old 08-09-2010, 08:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Reading WIth Meaning is the Miller book I refer to. All of my RW organization comes form Taberski.

gardener5

Old 09-13-2010, 06:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Can you tell me the 5 types of responses she teaches them? Is this in her book On Solid Ground? It's been awhile since I read it. I struggle, too, with how much writing to have my kids do. I want them to spend most of their time reading, but do expect some responses. Managing it is hard for me and I'm always looking for tips.